Another Trip In Japan... Field Report

katanankes

Shopping for pens (and lots of "things") is great in Japan. And remember, even Tokyo doesn't have to be an expensive visit!

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katanankes

• Calabria

• antoniosz

• Algester

Japan is still the heaven for stationary lovers ironically bookstores instead is a dying industry in Japan with e-books being more popular or the majorly preferred choice... not unless the other more deviant books were talking about, but most self published works are still physical but there are shops there catering to selling them

Many bookstores have closed or are struggling here, too. There are exceptions however: BookCourt in Brooklyn Heights is well-stocked, and McNally Jackson on Prince Street draws crowds of book lovers. The latter also stocks Japanese stationary and some writing paraphernalia, but no fountain pens worth mentioning!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I am now living and working in South East Asia, so Japan is only 5-6 hour away. But originally from Italy where I used to visit pen stores regularly, there were at least 4 in my town... down to 3 just before I left. And now probably 2. One big difference between stores in Italy and Japan is that in Japan you do not get any discount from regular published prices. However the yen is so depreciated that it did not hurt. By the way, Japan is an amazing country worth visiting for a number of reasons of course!

I used to make a point of visiting Mom-and-Pop stationary stores in Italy and scavenging for NOS pens. Unfortunately, some of those shops are now closed. I loved the personal interaction, and always got a discount (and my first brown tortoise!)

I really want to visit Japan, for all the obvious reasons, but it's a long flight from NYC.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this information. I am planning a trip to Japan next year and plan to buy lots of pens and ink.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Very useful "field report" - very informative !

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• 1 month later...

Τhanks for the detailed report. I am off to Japan in few days and this will be my field guide. Thank you :)

Please give us a full report of your adventures. Photos are always appreciated.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 1 month later...

I went to Tokyo last week on business trip and was able to sneak out several hours to visit several pen shops. The Itoya in Ginza, definitely a must to visit. You can just browse or purchase any pen you like. I went to the Itoya in Shibuya, on the 3 floor of the Tokyu department store. I purchased the "small bottles" Iroshizuku Ink. It comes in a set of 3 bottles, you can mix and choose for the price of Y2100. If you spend more than Y10000, you can get a tax refund of about 8%. Not bad at all. And Japanese will always do, they wrapped it really nicely at no additional cost.

I also had the opportunity to visit the "Asahiya Kami Bunguten" to the "Tokyo Pen Shop Quill". A small boutique pen shop, specialized in Pilot and few Namiki and papers... but with very nice couple managing it. I purchased the Pilot 823 WA from them... will attempt to return to their shop on my next Tokyo visit.

• 1 year later...

Frank C, a very late report from my 2015 trip to Tokyo.
I made it to 3 destinations.
1) Maruzen
2) Itoya
3) Pilot Pen Museum and cafe.
All accessible in one trip on foot.

Maruzen is a great stop with many pens and stationary at retail prices.
Itoya is a pen paradise - huge collection of pens and stationary
Pilot Pen Museum and Cafe is a very interesting destination focused on Pilot history.
I did not buy the Nakaya that I was set to buy... I dont know why. I saw many but I did not indulge.
I got a lot of stationary - it was really fun to play with the stationary in Itoya. Japanese appear to be very serious with their paper..
Even the hotel notepad was amazing for my pens... And I did get a lot of inks :)
I would definitely explore more in my next trip...

MARUZEN LOOT
11751454_10207370606929761_6378381711789

At the Pilot Museum they had a set of Priera inked with all (?) Iroshizuku inks.

11700811_10207370697292020_3559738453582

The Pilot Pen Museum Cafe. Very enjoyable
11143190_10207370510447349_1650006609728

Edited by antoniosz