Vunter

Anyhow, I would most definitely nudge Vunter towards looking at some vintage pens. There is more bang-for-buck, there is more history, and very often there are better nibs. And collecting them can be more interesting, because you have to explore and hunt around rather than just ordering exactly what you want from a catalog.

This! The thrill of the hunt plus suprises (both good and bad) make it interesting. And you learn a ton of stuff along the way too. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• bemon

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

...and if you do go vintage you simply must try getting a hold of a Pelikan 400, 400NN or a Parker 51 Aerometric. You might have a blissful encounter straight of the bat with the first one and once that happens there is no turning back. For me it took buying a few pens of each type to get one that really made it click, mostly it was about the nib and learning what the thing was that I actually like (ergonomics, nib width/feel/flow etc.).

I do have (and have had) a few Lamy 2000 but I vastly prefer the pens mentioned above. They all grow in length to a very usable size and balance when posted.

Yes, if you want something different, go vintage.

I also think, as does Sandy101, that Sailor 1911 or ProGear would have the most different experience from a Lamy 2k. The Sailor nibs are something special and are the most characteristic of the Japanese nibs, IMHO.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Yes, if you want something different, go vintage.

I also think, as does Sandy101, that Sailor 1911 or ProGear would have the most different experience from a Lamy 2k. The Sailor nibs are something special and are the most characteristic of the Japanese nibs, IMHO.

Erick

This progression is so conventional as to be a program: German pens, next these Japanese pens ... Very standard. I was directed like this. I found the Japanese pens very different from European or American pens as far as the nibs are concerned. It's good to expect this.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I’m someone who writes for a living and uses fountain pens exclusively for that purpose. My perspective, given your list of potential purchases:

Pelikan 200: Seek out a 215 model — metal bodies, piston fillers, good steel nibs.

Pilot 823: pricey but this is a serious pen for serious pen users. A “desert island” pen as far as I’m concerned.

Platinum 3776: can be found cheap on Amazon. A good pen, although the proprietary cartridges can be temperamental. If Narayan vaguely intrigues you, the nibs used by Platinum are the same.

Edison Collier: I have two Edisons — a Collier from Goulet Pens and a one-of-a-kind ebonite Pearl. Can’t recommend these more highly. Superb writers — light in weight with good balance. The Collier cannot be posted but it’s a large enough pen that this isn’t an issue. The Pearl can post but I don’t think it’s recommended. In either configuration it is comfortable to use.

one pen not on your list to consider: Pineidar Avatar UR. As a pen for writing, it is excellent. It can be found for under $150, and I think it is a bargain. Been using one almost constantly for 10 months and have no complaints.

enjoy your search!

I’m someone who writes for a living and uses fountain pens exclusively for that purpose. My perspective, given your list of potential purchases:

Pelikan 200: Seek out a 215 model — metal bodies, piston fillers, good steel nibs.

Pilot 823: pricey but this is a serious pen for serious pen users. A “desert island” pen as far as I’m concerned.

Platinum 3776: can be found cheap on Amazon. A good pen, although the proprietary cartridges can be temperamental. If Narayan vaguely intrigues you, the nibs used by Platinum are the same.

Edison Collier: I have two Edisons — a Collier from Goulet Pens and a one-of-a-kind ebonite Pearl. Can’t recommend these more highly. Superb writers — light in weight with good balance. The Collier cannot be posted but it’s a large enough pen that this isn’t an issue. The Pearl can post but I don’t think it’s recommended. In either configuration it is comfortable to use.

one pen not on your list to consider: Pineidar Avatar UR. As a pen for writing, it is excellent. It can be found for under $150, and I think it is a bargain. Been using one almost constantly for 10 months and have no complaints.

enjoy your search!

I can attest that I prefer the 215 to my 205 demo. it feels a little more premium. The metal body only adds the barest amount of weight, but it does give it a nice balance and the three chrome rings are a nice touch.

The main thing that's generally disappointed me about the M20x series is just how cheap their resins look when compared to the 40x's. The quality is fine, but the look is just like a chinese knockoff of their own product. The m215 avoids that by just being black but having little rings adorning the barrel.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The main thing that's generally disappointed me about the M20x series is just how cheap their resins look when compared to the 40x's. The quality is fine, but the look is just like a chinese knockoff of their own product.

Each to their own. I have the M200 Gold-Marbled and the M205 Blue-Marbled (and a M200 Smoky Quartz, M205 Olivine, etc.), as well as the M400 Tortoiseshell-White and M400 Brown-Tortoiseshell, and quite frankly I (personally!) don't find the M20x "cheap" in look and feel, or the M400 pens superior in that regard. As for the M215 Rings, I don't have it and never held one, but I doubt I'd like it better than any of my M20x and M40x pens (or at all).

I have plenty of metal-bodied pens, and I like them well enough (and some of them very well), but the design of the M215 is just not it for me.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Or, if you want to have a mix between modern and vintage: Parker Duofold Big Red (2016 model).

I have one (International model). Only thing I can say about it: Buy one!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a cheapskate. So let me tell you what I'd suggest for someone on a budget.

Get a Pelikan M400 series pen from CultPens. The prices are very good, excellent compared to most US stores.

Unfortunately, the prices are in Euros and I found the actual cost to be a few dollars more than the online conversion calculator said it would be. I *think* this is because of the conversion fee charged by PayPal. Can't say exactly, but I think the cost will come out to about $225. But still, it's a good deal for a gold-nib pen, especially compared to most US stores.

So after a ton of research and a ton of thinking I have narrowed it down to two pens I am going to buy. I should mention that my thought process is kind of funny.

So I am going to buy:

Pelikan Souveran M600

Platinum 3776

Now the funny part is originally I was just going to get the one pen, but then seeing how relatively affordable the 3776 is I decided to increase my budget. Here is where I went down the rabbit hole and started to think well if I'm spending X amount on both of these pens, then why don't I just increase my budget for one pen. Soon enough I was looking at $400 dollar pens, then I got pulled into pens that were even higher then those pens, because If i just spend $40 more I can get this pen. By the end of night I was looking at like $800 pens and was like how the hell did I get here lol hahhaha.

So I brought myself back down to earth and going to get the M600 in blue. Although I might do green or red. I own a lot of blue colored pens because I like blue, but part of me wants to get a green or red pen since I don't own any red pens and one green pen. Right now Cultpens has 10% off Pelikan so I will get it through them. Amazon is selling direct for the same price, but I hear good things from Cultpens so I feel safer going through them. I will probably get the 3776 in blue as well.

I haven't decided what size nibs yet. I know many people like the broads on Pelikan and while I like a juicy pen; I don't particularly like writing so thick. I'm going to get a Medium or Fine on the M600 and Either a Medium or Music on the 3776.

Edited by Vunter

So after a ton of research and a ton of thinking I have narrowed it down to two pens I am going to buy. I should mention that my thought process is kind of funny.

So I am going to buy:

Pelikan Souveran M600

Platinum 3776

Now the funny part is originally I was just going to get the one pen, but then seeing how relatively affordable the 3776 is I decided to increase my budget. Here is where I went down the rabbit hole and started to think well if I'm spending X amount on both of these pens, then why don't I just increase my budget for one pen. Soon enough I was looking at $400 dollar pens, then I got pulled into pens that were even higher then those pens, because If i just spend $40 more I can get this pen. By the end of night I was looking at like $800 pens and was like how the hell did I get here lol hahhaha.

So I brought myself back down to earth and going to get the M600 in blue. Although I might do green or red. I own a lot of blue colored pens because I like blue, but part of me wants to get a green or red pen since I don't own any red pens and one green pen. Right now Cultpens has 10% off Pelikan so I will get it through them. Amazon is selling direct for the same price, but I hear good things from Cultpens so I feel safer going through them. I will probably get the 3776 in blue as well.

I haven't decided what size nibs yet. I know many people like the broads on Pelikan and while I like a juicy pen; I don't particularly like writing so thick. I'm going to get a Medium or Fine on the M600 and Either a Medium or Music on the 3776.

In general, I don’t trust Amazon with stuff that’s often faked, so wise to stay away from them. Also good to buy Pelikan from Europe, much cheaper. Platinum can be found cheaper in Japan. Enjoy!

No signature. I'm boring that way.

In general, I don’t trust Amazon with stuff that’s often faked, so wise to stay away from them. Also good to buy Pelikan from Europe, much cheaper. Platinum can be found cheaper in Japan. Enjoy!

The platinum 3776 I may buy from Amazon, because when i research how to buy from japan many of the sites are gone now or many liked sellers from J Subculture are also gone. There are a couple of platinum sellers on Amazon that have a good reputation. Last time I checked a couple of days ago the prices I was seeing on J Subculture and Amazon were pretty much neck and neck, but occasionally I'll see J Subculture at 10 or 20 less.

When I search the fountainpennetwork many of the threads are from a couple of years ago or longer and those threads aren't really applicable anymore. If you are aware of any good Japanese sellers I'm all ears.

One site that I see that is still around is Pensachi.

Edited by Vunter

Instead of a Pelikan M400, I'd suggest an early 50s Tortoise 400. Same form factor with superior nibs. They pop up here in Classifieds from time to time.

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Revised-Piston-Fillers/400-Basis/index.html.

Or go with the Pilot 823. Either pen will offer a markedly difference experience from your 2000

Add lightness and simplicate.

There have been a lot of great suggestions by others on models, but I notice a trend. Most of them are excellent pens, but do not offer a significantly different writing experience that what you already have.

Believe it or not, you actually set the bar pretty high when you got the Lamy 2000. That pen punches way out of it's price class, and is highly regarded as a writing instrument.

I have several modern pens, but, the writing experience between them is not markedly different. Considering how many stubs you own, it is clear you like "artful writing and perhaps drawing". You like line variation.

It is perhaps time for you to jump on the "Mighty Mo" with the big boys, and take a look at vintage flex for your next pen. It will expose you to a different way of writing which has unique results and rewards.

I've had or have most of these pens. Personally here are my thoughts:

Platinum 3776 - Writes reliably, mine is decently wet but the line is too thin which is common for Japanese pens. It also doesn't sing to me in any special way. I've got the basic black GT, which is fairly plain looking. My opinion.
Pelikan M200 / M400 - I can't speak to the M200, but for the price the M400 is just far to light and cheap feeling. It writes well but it doesn't feel like the same quality as an 800+ series. Get one, but get it used for well under MSRP.

Pilot Vanishing Point / Custom 823 / Custom 74 / Custom 912 - I have the VP, 823 and 74. You can't go wrong with a VP or 823. I find a lot of the gold nibs on my various VPs have needed work to counter dry starting. But once fixed it's an A+ pen for convenience. the 823 is an A+++ pen for writing experience

Edison Collier - I have one in addition to a Pearlette. Exquisitely finished in my opinion but I've had some flow and dry starting issues with the steel nibs. You may need some work. That said I just ordered another Collier. Beautiful enough that I'm good with the gamble.
Franklin Christoph Model 19, 20, 02, : I've had two FC pens but I don't remember the models. Can't speak to these two, but of the two I had the medium steel nibs were smooth, reliable and wet. I'd get another if they came out with a design that spoke to me.
Parker 51: Never tried :(

Waterman Caréne: I've had several. Nibs seem to have inconsistent flow. I like wet pens, so my wet Carenes are f'n dreamy.
Diplomat Aero: Never tried, but I have an Excellence which is a smooth wet writer. I don't know if their nib and feeds have any similarities.
Sailor 1911 / Sailor Pro Gear: I've got a Pro Gear Realo and a Pro Gear Sapporo: The pro gear is decently weighted and the nib is aesthetically beautiful. But the line is thin (as expected from a Japanese pen) and the feedback is too much for me.

Edited by bemon

Believe it or not, you actually set the bar pretty high when you got the Lamy 2000. That pen punches way out of it's price class, and is highly regarded as a writing instrument.

I'll take a gold-nibbed Sailor Pro Gear Slim or Pilot Elite 95S over the Lamy 2000 Makrolon any day, especially when it comes to EF nibs. Yes, I have all three.

For something that writes differently, try a Zoom nib on a Sailor Profit Standard.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The advantage of the Pelikan M600, is that you can switch nibs. So, you could start with a broad, or medium nib - and then buy another width, without having to buy a whole new pen.

if you buy through the Writing Desk (also in England) https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/pens/fountain-pens/pelikan-souveran-m600-fountain-pen-black-red.html?search_query=Pelikan+nib&results=24 they test the nibs, so you will get something that writes out of the box.

That said, I use both cultpens & the writing desk without issue.

The Pelikan M600 takes the same sized nib sleeve as the M200/400. This mean that the more interesting vintage 400/400N and 400NN nibs will fit. These nibs are smaller than the M600s however.

Add lightness and simplicate.

So everyone keeps telling me that I should opt for the M800 because it's a better size. I do prefer bigger pens so I'm sure the M800 would feel great. However the Lamy 2000 size feels great to me and the M600 is pretty close in size to a Lamy 2000. Reading a ton a threads on the Pelikans I just find it interesting that a lot of people prefer the M800 but then the same people will say they love the Lamy 2000 as well. Granted the Lamy 2000 doesn't come in a larger size and Pelikan does.

Anyways I know this all subjective, it pretty much just boils down to me thinking it all through lol. I actually made the honest error of mistaken the British Pound symbol with the Euro symbol so when looking at various prices I had the wrong conversion so I for sure can only swing the M600 and considering its similar size to a Lamy 2000, I'll be happy. Plus if I love the pen all the more reason I'll have an excuse to get an M800 down the road as well.

Sidenote: I fear when I graduate and land a job I'm going to have a huge problem with pen shopping sprees lol.

Edited by Vunter

So everyone keeps telling me that I should opt for the M800 because it's a better size. I do prefer bigger pens so I'm sure the M800 would feel great. However the Lamy 2000 size feels great to me and the M600 is pretty close in size to a Lamy 2000. Reading a ton a threads on the Pelikans I just find it interesting that a lot of people prefer the M800 but then the same people will say they love the Lamy 2000 as well. Granted the Lamy 2000 doesn't come in a larger size and Pelikan does.

Anyways I know this all subjective, it pretty much just boils down to me thinking it all through lol. I actually made the honest error of mistaken the British Pound symbol with the Euro symbol so when looking at various prices I had the wrong conversion so I for sure can only swing the M600 and considering its similar size to a Lamy 2000, I'll be happy. Plus if I love the pen all the more reason I'll have an excuse to get an M800 down the road as well.

Sidenote: I fear when I graduate and land a job I'm going to have a huge problem with pen shopping sprees lol.

The L2K is bigger than the M600- here it is between and M1000 and M600. I wish I had my 800 on hand, but I've loaned it to a friend for the weekend so he can test drive it and decide if he wants to pick one up.

Anyway, the 800 and L2K are the most similarly sized. I can take another shot on Monday when I get my 800.

fpn_1579311180__img_4595.jpg