Nakaya Seems Determined To Disappoint Me

jmccarty3

I haven't received a reply to the email I sent to nibs.com yesterday, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• sarahfar

• Algester

• BMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Interesting about one craftsman specializing in one color, and would help to explain why when one retires, a color may have to retire with him as it can't be easily replicated (ao, shiro)

In the case of a retirement, it would seem that there could be a warning that a certain color or model would not be available after a certain date. But we hear nothing until it is too late. In the case of Shiro-tamenuri, nibs.com even states that it is one of Nakaya's most popular finishes. There has never been any indication that it might not be available, until last week.

Absolutely Yoshida San has an interesting interview that touches on this and a very sweet piccolo too ....

http://inkypassion.com/2015/08/25/in-conversation-with-nakaya-nibmeister-shinichi-yoshida/

Yoshida San mentions that waiting time is sometimes as much as two years. I waited five years for my first harpsichord (and watched the price double in the meantime). I can be very patient, and I suspect others can as well. They obviously can sell as many of these as they can make, and the market can bear a higher price. Why aren't they training successors? Every other artisan does.

I haven't received a reply to the email I sent to nibs.com yesterday, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow.

They were probably up at the S.F. pen show, which ended yesterday...

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Yoshida San mentions that waiting time is sometimes as much as two years. I waited five years for my first harpsichord (and watched the price double in the meantime). I can be very patient, and I suspect others can as well. They obviously can sell as many of these as they can make, and the market can bear a higher price. Why aren't they training successors? Every other artisan does.

because in japan tech = moneh, plus no one is giving birth if they do its not in Tokyo... which is what I opened up in the Nakaya craftsman thread its hard to replace someone withone someone to refresh the system

Edited by Algester

Wow. Wonder why not.

:puzzled:

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Well, this afternoon I ordered one of the last three Nakayas in Shiro-tamenuri, a decapod cigar. Not exactly the model I wanted, but the beauty of the shiro finish will compensate for it. It will come with a 0.7 mm stub. Now that I have one Nakaya in the bag, I can start saving up for some more elaborate ones, like bamboos or ascending dragons.

John used to go to other pen shows--I met him at the Dallas show two years ago. I think now he only exhibits at the LA show.

Ascending dragons? Oooh, someone has expensive taste...! :D

Ascending dragons? Oooh, someone has expensive taste...! :D

And they're not alone. Someday a long in the blue with a music nib or the most gushing BB stub will be mine. Someday, oh yes. It will. Many many years from now. Sigh...

Well, this afternoon I ordered one of the last three Nakayas in Shiro-tamenuri, a decapod cigar. Not exactly the model I wanted, but the beauty of the shiro finish will compensate for it. It will come with a 0.7 mm stub. Now that I have one Nakaya in the bag, I can start saving up for some more elaborate ones, like bamboos or ascending dragons.

John used to go to other pen shows--I met him at the Dallas show two years ago. I think now he only exhibits at the LA show.

Thank you so much for buying that pen! I have been visiting it for a while with slowly eroding resistance, but you saved me from myself. Now I can concentrate my emotional energy on the Nakaya Portable Cigar with the Owl in Aka-tamenuri I have on reserve. It was already ordered, so the wait will be 2 or 3 months rather than 8 or 9 months.

The bamboo pattern is purely amazingly gorgeous, and I WANT IT. :puddle: On a Portable or a Naka-ai, I think. Although ... How would it look on a Piccolo? Maybe some other year.

Re. John's attendance at pen shows: Either through a recent phone conversation or an email, I was told John has decided to attend one show per year, besides the L.A. show. Next year, it will be San Francisco! (Yay!!)

Anyway, congratulations on the Decapod. I think it's stunning. When you see it and write with it, your liking for it may grow. If it doesn't, let me know! ... No! Don't! ... Please PM me. ... :gaah:

David

I have a blue ascending dragon long cigar with clip with a BB stub, and a kuro tamenuri long cigar without clip and also BB stub. Any takers?

Y'all sure can sound whinny without any knowledge. What if the guy doing shiro is retiring, and Nakaya is just not accepting new orders... Giving him time to fill all existing orders.

As for the SF show... John and crew were / are doing something else.

And, yes, I am hoping that my shiro gets delivered...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Didn't nibs.com announce why it was discontinued?

"Shiro-tamenuri has been one of the most popular of Nakaya's premium finishes, *but the diifficulty of realizing consistent results, along with increasing demand for all of Nakaya's writing instruments,* has led Nakaya to announce that this finish is being discontinued. As a result, we are limited to stock on hand and pens already on order, after which no more will be produced."

I suppose it's possible a retirement was also involved but it seems like it's the same reason they discontinued Ao-tamenuri: the inconsistent results. I would be willing to accept that the exact shade can vary in a tamenuri finish - in fact, for me, it's part of the charm of tamenuri finishes that makes each pen unique. I think some customers probably wanted the result to be a consistent shade each time though.

I suppose it's possible a retirement was also involved but it seems like it's the same reason they discontinued Ao-tamenuri: the inconsistent results. I would be willing to accept that the exact shade can vary in a tamenuri finish - in fact, for me, it's part of the charm of tamenuri finishes that makes each pen unique. I think some customers probably wanted the result to be a consistent shade each time though.

But this is the whole point of a tamenuri finish! The inherent variability of these finishes should have been made clear to customers before they ordered, and if they weren't willing to accept it, they should have been encouraged to order another finish. Now the idiots who complained that "my pen doesn't look exactly like the picture on your web site" have cost us two beautiful finishes.

I have to deal with this sort of problem in my medical practice all the time. It's called managing expectations. Sorry for the rant.

But this is the whole point of a tamenuri finish! The inherent variability of these finishes should have been made clear to customers before they ordered, and if they weren't willing to accept it, they should have been encouraged to order another finish. Now the idiots who complained that "my pen doesn't look exactly like the picture on your web site" have cost us two beautiful finishes.

I have to deal with this sort of problem in my medical practice all the time. It's called managing expectations. Sorry for the rant.

I agree. It's what gives tamenuri pens so much character. I guess machine-made goods has taught us in the West to expect absolute uniformity and consistency. It reminds me of something I read about in another forum where a calligrapher got grief from a client who had wedding invitations done by them. The reason? Some of the letters had the minute imperfections that is common in work that is done by hand - which is, really, the entire point of having wedding invitations done by hand.

Edited by rpsyed

I have a blue ascending dragon long cigar with clip with a BB stub, and a kuro tamenuri long cigar without clip and also BB stub. Any takers?

Don't make me come in here with the rolled up newspaper. Offers to sell classifieds or backchannel only :wallbash: (And only the clip + a total lack of funds at the moment keeps me from pouncing on that ascending with BB stub. ) :gaah: