• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• sarahfar

• Algester

• BMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the ascending blue dragon also to be discontinued? The nibs.com web site says nothing, but this is really an Ao-tamenuri finish.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

But this is the whole point of a tamenuri finish! The inherent variability of these finishes should have been made clear to customers before they ordered, and if they weren't willing to accept it, they should have been encouraged to order another finish. Now the idiots who complained that "my pen doesn't look exactly like the picture on your web site" have cost us two beautiful finishes.

I have to deal with this sort of problem in my medical practice all the time. It's called managing expectations. Sorry for the rant.

I agree completely, sometimes people think that manual labor can reproduce the exact same thing every time... It's madness! Even someone specialized in reproductions of art can't do that.

I love the Ao-tamenuri finish... there wasn't in my plans to buy a Nakaya in the immediate future, but it is sad that I now know I won't be able to do so.

I guess I'll have to speed up my plans to buy a Dorsal Fin in matte black before they're also gone...

Edited by coppilcus

Just found out they're not going to make the pen pillows any more. What's next?

I am eyeing that Ao-tamenuri desk pen that nibs.com has. I have always been fond of the color...though there are so many other pens that I clearly need....Namiki Yukari Eagle, Montblanc Agatha Christie, Hakase something or other....

Just found out they're not going to make the pen pillows any more. What's next?

Good riddance I have a one and a three pen pillow and I never use them. Plus the quality was much lower than that of their pens. I have rough air bubbles in my single pen pillow.

Wow. Wonder why not.

:puzzled:

Yeah... John just had other priorities. I didn't pry. Just something non-pen show to do.

As for Nakaya... I have heard for several years that once these old craftsmen die, that's it! No more Nakaya! Maybe "retire" is a better word. I'm not surprised that production seems to be slowing down. I'm glad I have the pens in the finishes that I want and don't want any more (although, you know... there is room for a kuro Piccolo Cigar, hahaha, but no urgency, no coveting, no yearning).

I don't know if what I heard about no apprenticeships is true. Maybe at the time it was true and then that changed. I don't know. But this isn't a huge production factory, and these pens aren't made from molds and automation. It's one of the factors for the starting price's being so high.

When it comes to Nakaya, I wouldn't wait around if there is a model and finish that I really, really want. Most other brands and models can wait. Probably. You know. And if the sky is NOT falling, at least I'd have the Nakaya I really wanted. (Where "I" could be "you.")

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Sounds like wise, but expensive, advice.

I disagree. Lisa's advice is very wise, and it is a real bargain at the price she charges. ;)

David

I'm also sad to hear that the Shiro-tamenuri is being discontinued. I've had a pen in that finish on the back burner for a while waiting for a more opportune time budget wise. Well...I broke the bank today and put in an order for a Decopod Writer in Shiro-tamenuri. I'm sure the guilt I feel for exceeding the budget will pass in time...at least one can hope.

post-36725-0-00279700-1441407555.jpg

Or manage your desires so that you don't want the Nakaya so much. Whatever works!

Managing certain desires well seems to result in managing other desires less well. :blush:

Hi y'all,

For the record, here is the email from Nakaya verifying that the pens are urushied in Wajima. I had asked to visit their office in Tokyo, and was politely but very firmly told that was not possible. Oh well! :rolleyes:

The email is from July 14, 2015.

Thank you very much for your inquiry again.

We are sorry our craftsman are not able to

meet you because our pens are all painted in Wajima,

famous as the city of Urushi, which is about 600km

away from Tokyo.

We are sorry we are not able to meet your expectations.

Sincerely,

Yoko KONO (Ms.), Nakaya Fountain Pen

輪島塗
my only lead... well so most likely they make the ebonite bodies in Tokyo and then fly to Wajima City for months at a time huh.... if one of them decides to retire well...
and then the Urushi manufacturer... well thats one thing I dont want to think about any further

Edited by Algester

From my approximation, it seems they have combined Heki and Shiro into one shade and call it Heki. In other words, the early model Heki's were quite green in the under color, but have become progressively more and more tan-ish as the years have gone by. Now, I would guess, the newer Heki's are so close to the Shiro's that they figured they might as well nix the less popular one.

These are just my guesses based on what I have observed.

This was my experience as well. I bought a Heki piccolo cigar last year, and sent it back due to the colour. It was not that nice aged copper green colour like the times of yore. It was a tan-ish blah under colour. I was not impressed. The Ao-Tamenuri I bought was also not the colour I expected; came out as a yucky swamp green rather than turquoise like it's described as.

I personally think that they have peaked, and are not as great as they were back in 2006-2012. My last 3 Nakaya's had weird little defects in the finish. I know they're supposed to be handmade by old craftsmen, but to me these were imperfections. I don't know..... I guess I just couldn't justify the cost anymore.

Just my opinion though.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

My Shiro Decapod cigar arrived yesterday--the color looks perfect to me. Haven't had a chance to ink it yet.

This was my experience as well. I bought a Heki piccolo cigar last year, and sent it back due to the colour. It was not that nice aged copper green colour like the times of yore. It was a tan-ish blah under colour. I was not impressed. The Ao-Tamenuri I bought was also not the colour I expected; came out as a yucky swamp green rather than turquoise like it's described as.

I personally think that they have peaked, and are not as great as they were back in 2006-2012. My last 3 Nakaya's had weird little defects in the finish. I know they're supposed to be handmade by old craftsmen, but to me these were imperfections. I don't know..... I guess I just couldn't justify the cost anymore.

Just my opinion though.

Defects or simply expected variability in a handmade product? In either case, the urushi lacquering is outsourced to craftsmen in Wajima City, not done by the Nakaya people in Tokyo. If it is defective, I suppose Nakaya has the final QA responsibility.

David

And they're not alone. Someday a long in the blue with a music nib or the most gushing BB stub will be mine. Someday, oh yes. It will. Many many years from now. Sigh...

And the nib with which you will be most happy is a music Mottishaw'd oblique italic. Delicious.

Edited by Remedial penmanship