Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• sarahfar

• Algester

• BMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agathe Christie is a spectacular pen.

Ao is interesting and Blue Dragon is Ao.

There is a Heki Ascending Dragon gorgeous pen....

post-119980-0-36915200-1441851578_thumb.jpgpost-119980-0-95343400-1441851579_thumb.jpgpost-119980-0-42280800-1441851576_thumb.jpg

Did someone say Heki?

The Ao decatwist is a fun companion to the Heki dragon with complementary shades of green, but the dragon positively glows. Really, the Ao twist is more the shade of a very green turqoise than blue, but certainly not my shamrock green Midori Owl.

My mind is permanently scared by this vision. Love it.

Yeah the Ao is a strange color. It radiates, the less light the more green, the more light the more turquoise and blue. I have only one Heki that I have had for a couple of years. It shows through more lime green, but hope it starting to mellow to more of the mint.

I think they told me when I bought my blue dragon the Heki in the dragon for all practical purpose was more between aka and heki and the show though on the green more mint like your beauty. I think people have to be clear with John as to the color and his people have to know what we want. I was fortunate to convince Nakaya to make an Ao Tamenuri piccolo for me before they made it standard color and then discontinued it. The color I was blessed with turned out great.

This gives a little sense of my piccolo coloration

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/mikefarha/IMG_0041_zps8c747887.jpg

It very much resembles the patina that develops on copper over years and has a distinct turquoise appearance at least right now with the urishi where it is.....

Edited by sarahfar

attachicon.gifIMG_0370.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0371.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0368.jpg

Did someone say Heki?

The Ao decatwist is a fun companion to the Heki dragon with complementary shades of green, but the dragon positively glows. Really, the Ao twist is more the shade of a very green turqoise than blue, but certainly not my shamrock green Midori Owl.

The Heki dragon is one of my favorites.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

@AltecGreen – nice to see you posting here... :)

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Hi y'all,

For the record, here is the email from Nakaya verifying that the pens are urushied in Wajima. I had asked to visit their office in Tokyo, and was politely but very firmly told that was not possible. Oh well! :rolleyes:

The email is from July 14, 2015.

Thank you very much for your inquiry again.

We are sorry our craftsman are not able to

meet you because our pens are all painted in Wajima,

famous as the city of Urushi, which is about 600km

away from Tokyo.

We are sorry we are not able to meet your expectations.

Sincerely,

Yoko KONO (Ms.), Nakaya Fountain Pen

I had a similar experience in 2010. I had a pen in production directly from them, and requested the name of the craftsmen in Wajima to pay a visit. I wouldn't call the answer polite, more brusque. I then asked to visit Nakaya in Tokyo, but I had obviously strained their patience by this point.

Since then, I've scratched the Nakaya itch through CFP. It is clear the company has no interest in developing relationships with their clientele so why go through the headache?

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

It is clear the company has no interest in developing relationships with their clientele so why go through the headache?

You are probably misreading the culture differences. Most small (or smaller) Japanese companies are not prepared for visitors, especially non-Nihongo speaking visitors. Nakaya reaches out very much to develop their relationships with their customers, but they do so at "pen clinics" multiple times a year at stores around the country. In THOSE situations, their urushi-sensei has support staff around him who do speak English.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

It is not Asian custom for the customer to visit the craftsman. It is seen as though the customer is distrustful of the seller/craftsman's promise to deliver a quality product, which is supposed to be the foundation of the business relationship. The Japanese are especially indirect about stating this because they also don't want to appear rude about their firm rejection.

EDIT: Good lord, that Heki Ascending Dragon is a beautiful pen...

Edited by Bounce792

round-letter-exc.png

I had a series of email conversations with the owner and then his people, they were super, exceptionally polite and helpful. But there is a language barrier and you have to be precise. I love working with Nibs and it just easier in the US. That said I would have no hesitation ordering direct, but don't have any desire to drop in on the craftsmen. I don't have any issue with those that do, just think it might not be realistic given the artisan nature of the finish and their age. Culture probably plays a big part too.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I'm not the only one in the world who put off a Shiro Tamenuri order only to be heartbroken when a month later it's announced to be discontinued. We will persevere. :(

Glad I'm not the only one in the world who put off a Shiro Tamenuri order only to be heartbroken when a month later it's announced to be discontinued. We will persevere. :(

Now i'm officially hate Shiro Tamenuri pens' owners :((

It very much resembles the patina that develops on copper over years and has a distinct turquoise appearance at least right now with the urishi where it is.....

This is absolutely the perfect description. Ao tamenuri = oxidized copper. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a blue ascending dragon long cigar with clip with a BB stub, and a kuro tamenuri long cigar without clip and also BB stub. Any takers?

Do you have a picture of it?

Other than a Briarwood that I got a year ago, it has been about 7 or 8 years since my last urushi Nakaya. It sounds as though the company is going through growing pains (even if it is not growing).

This thread actually rekindled my desire for another one (got side tracked by Conid's and others).

the Danitrio Fellowship

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment "Nakaya seems determined to disappoint me" (though I'm sure thats not really their intention!), more in relation to the Ao than the Shiro tamenuri finish.

To me the Ki-dame of the Danitrio's seems very similar to the shiro. I know one is meant to be white and the other yellow. But to me they both look yellow.

I was planning a neo-standard writer and Dorsal fin1 in Ao-tamenuri for the longest time. :(

I managed to grab 2 Nakaya Ao-tamenuri's as soon as nibs.com announced it would be discontinued. Here are mine below- the 17mm portable cigar is much more "oxidised copper" than the decapod twist which leans to more towards leaf green (at least indoors), though in bright sunlight the two look very similar.

http://s8.postimg.org/7gildp73p/Ao_tamenuri.jpg

Also, there is still the Ao-tamenuri Deskpen on the availability chart... ;)

Edited by kunju123