Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

I had a chance to buy two Sheaffer Imperial italic nib units recently. This one is a broad italic which fits my burgundy barrel and cap. I'm using Sheaffer Skrip purple ink and I have to say it's not a bad writer. I really like these old Sheaffer italic nibs. I'm also a fan of their No Nonsense calligraphy pens.

sheaffer-italic3.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OOOO DRROOOOLLLL

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It has been a while since I last posted, sorry about that. I inked this Stipula Duetto today for the first time and WOW I love the way it writes! I sure love seeing the great pens, nibs, ink and writing in this thread!

fpn_1597868619__46c53ff6-4bbe-492e-8b69-

fpn_1597868698__1cd06ab8-7e9e-4569-941e-

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Here are some stubs I have been using this week, found on my desk:

fpn_1597869836__f521633f-d03f-4979-99c4-

L to R:

Stipula Duetto, 18k 1.1 stub, JH Terre de Feu

CONID FPR Bulkfiller Demonstrator, Bexley 18k stub, PR DCSS Blue

Aurora Afrika, 18k stub, KWZI Dark Brown

Francis Goossens 139 replica, MB 18k O3B stubbed, Sailor Yama-dori

— Samuel Johnson

This pen is in Minnesota escaping the August heat of Las Vegas. If I were the owner I'd be worried about ever seeing it again. An incredibly expressive writer!!!
fpn_1597871125__7b3565e5-fb2a-4288-9101-
Ink is Sailor nioi-sumire

— Samuel Johnson

Here are some stubs I have been using this week, found on my desk:

fpn_1597869836__f521633f-d03f-4979-99c4-

L to R:

Stipula Duetto, 18k 1.1 stub, JH Terre de Feu

CONID FPR Bulkfiller Demonstrator, Bexley 18k stub, PR DCSS Blue

Aurora Afrika, 18k stub, KWZI Dark Brown

Francis Goossens 139 replica, MB 18k O3B stubbed, Sailor Yama-dori

What a nice quartet of wonderful writing nibs! I am inspired to see if my Conid Minimilistica or Regular will take a Bexley nib!

David

fpn_1597251571__accidentally_destroyed_d

This was literally my Stub of the day. I finally got around to filling my new PenBBS 355 yesterday, with Diamine Jalur Gemilang ink which I think is a perfect match for the 'Purple Cloud' acrylic, but I never intended to use it with the two-toned F nib that came fitted on account of how broad and round the tipping is. I had a handful of replacement nib units with Nemosine (EF, F, 0.6 Stub and 0.8 Stub) nibs already made up from before and sitting ready, and had used them on my PenBBS 308 and 309 pens in the past. I decided I mightn't want too fine a line, given how Diamine Jalur Gemilang both shades and sheens so well, so I thought I might give the Nemosine F nib a try. However, I didn't really like how wet and plump the lines that came out of it looked, and given I've been on a DIY nib regrinding kick lately, I went straight to working on the nib instead of trying one of the Nemosine Stub nibs with the pen.

After a not insignificant amount of time and effort, I finally got the nib to just about how I wanted it to be; its writing output is show above. Right around then, my wife told me it was time to head out to our dinner booking, and because I expected to have to write our names and contact details down for the restaurant (because of COVID-19 related regulations in place), I thought it prudent to bring a pen, and the PenBBS 355 was sitting right there...

So I capped it, got changed, and grabbed the pen from the table on my way out the door. At that point, I noticed that the cap was somehow loose instead of screwed on properly, so I tightened it being shoving it into my pocket. I encountered a dull, unexpected bit of physical resistance as I did that, which I thought was from the movement of an inner cap that needed breaking in, and didn't think any more of it until my wife and I were seated (outdoors) at the restaurant, and I fished my pen out to write our details down in the gloom.

The pen wouldn't write.

In the dim light, I could see that nib was bent, but it wasn't clear exactly how (and how badly). Damn.

I've checked the replacement nibs for headroom in the clear and translucent PenBBS 308 and 309 pens I had, but I made the stupid, inexcusable and downright embarrassing rookie mistake of not also checking the PenBBS 355 (which isn't quite that see-through) and just assumed it'd fit.

It didn't.

When I got home, I could see that the tines were very badly bent, more sideways than forward over the feed. There is no inner cap inside the pen cap, but there is a piece of metal. I have no idea it was there, and I no idea why it is there; I looked inside the other PenBBS 355 pen I have here belatedly, and there is only plastic and no metal in the same place in its cap. You can see from the photo above where the tipping of my DIY Stub nib has scored the surface of that piece of metal as I screwed the cap on and 'heard', or sensed, the dull crunch earlier.

So, that's that.

OUCH thanks for the reminder about what not to do. I've made the mistake before and would likely to so again. Sorry for the nib loss.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This pen is in Minnesota escaping the August heat of Las Vegas. If I were the owner I'd be worried about ever seeing it again. An incredibly expressive writer!!!

LOL, I bought it a few years ago at the LA pen show, then sent it to the Kingman for the lovely lady who was THE Sheaffer nib grinder for more than 50 years. I sent her writing samples and told her what I wanted. This pen is absolutely unique and a stunning writer.

OUCH thanks for the reminder about what not to do. I've made the mistake before and would likely to so again. Sorry for the nib loss.

Thanks. I managed to fix it... sorta.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

What a nice quartet of wonderful writing nibs! I am inspired to see if my Conid Minimilistica or Regular will take a Bexley nib!

David

FYI, it won't.

David

FYI, it won't.

David

I have used a Bexley stub many times in a CONID Minimalistica, just the nib which seems to fit well with the feed that came with the CONID. I think the flow might need adjusting, but otherwise I've been able to get it to work. DAVID

— Samuel Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

OH :o I missed this thread!! What a lovely writing and pens on papers !!

I have to get your all my stub pens and join the party!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have to get all your stub pens and join the party!! :rolleyes:

Wow, that is what I read (not what you wrote) and I was going to encourage you to come to the party with your pens! I do adore stubs!

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice pen.

As a matter of interest, of all the stubs in your collection, do you have a top three?

What would be your recommendation for a first time stub pen?

Cheers

Oh la... Festival of the stubs !!!! I am suffering not taking any participation to the party!! Well done guys I be back soon here. :lol:

Very Nice pen.

As a matter of interest, of all the stubs in your collection, do you have a top three?

What would be your recommendation for a first time stub pen?

Cheers

That Sheaffer is one of my favorites, but my very favorites - bar none are the Sheaffer Legacy Stubs. Good luck finding one.

For a first time purchase, I'd highly recommend the TWSBI Go - it's a $20 pen that writes well out of the box, it's fun to use and you can find out if you like it at all.

The avatar is a take-off on the well-known Hopper painting. Nice!

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Thank you, Corgicoupe, I change my avatar periodically, Napalm, a fellow FPNer, created these for me and they are listed in my signature line.

So, do we have any new stubs?

I got a TWSBI Mini in Mint Blue for my birthday. It’s a clever pen. The cap screws on to post.

fpn_1602114408__5a12e52f-6d1d-4bda-ab26-

Posted Image