Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

And back atcha, dcpritch! This one was crisped up by Michael Masuyama.

And a writing sample from another FPN topic:
David

David, your writing is so consistently nice that I'm guessing the sharp corners on that CI don't bother you at all, but my writing tends to be fast and a sharp CI pen only works for me when I really focus and pay attention to writing angle. Even when I do, my writing never looks like yours, well done!!!

Tinta, those Sailor music nibs are just wonderful, I think. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, your writing is so consistently nice that I'm guessing the sharp corners on that CI don't bother you at all, but my writing tends to be fast and a sharp CI pen only works for me when I really focus and pay attention to writing angle. Even when I do, my writing never looks like yours, well done!!!

Thank you! Understanding the importance of keeping a consistent nib angle and contact with the paper is the key. That and a few thousand hours of reflective practice. That means paying attention to .... well, everything. The paradox is what the Zen masters have taught, once you have the knowledge and the muscle memory, excellence requires suspension of attention. "No mind."

David

I'm parking myself in this topic and read through your excellent posts and pictures. Also, you all have beautiful penmanship, my compliments.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Hey Stubsters,

Haven't posted here in ages....

Thought I'd jump into the stub party again with two recent acquisitions.

Hope you like them...

:)

Mark

56C0al.jpg

aqABSM.jpg

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 2 weeks later...

56C0al.jpg

It's a long time since I saw such a perfectly matched pen and ink combo. The fact that this was written with a wonderful stub nib just adds to the pleasure. A true delight!

It's a long time since I saw such a perfectly matched pen and ink combo. The fact that this was written with a wonderful stub nib just adds to the pleasure. A true delight!

Thank you for the good words!

Definitely enjoyed doing the samples.....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 2 months later...

Why isn't anyone posting? I miss this thread!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Why isn't anyone posting? I miss this thread!!

So do I.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Okay, I'll post.

I am using three pens today.

The Conklin Mark Twain has a factory 1.1, the Noodler's has a custom grind and the Parallel is a 6.0. fpn_1589512797__img_20200514_201639.jpg

I've been using the Parallel to write cards and letters to people stuck in nursing homes.

https://lovefortheelderly.org/

fpn_1589512956__img_20200514_155520.jpg

I also sent cards created with one of my other stubs (the Sailor Music Nib which was custom stubbed). The font was created (and you can do this for free) at:https://www.calligraphr.com/en/

fpn_1589513272__img_20200514_155514.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sneaking into your thread with a mere cursive italic :P

fpn_1589515021__conid-ti-salix.jpg

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

fpn_1589513272__img_20200514_155514.jpg

Good quote

Babylon 5 is IMO the most underrated and under-appreciated Sci-Fi ever.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Good quote

Babylon 5 is IMO the most underrated and under-appreciated Sci-Fi ever.

I loved B5! My favorite show of all time. Thank you for noticing.

The way that tipping is shaped is very interesting. Looking forward to seeing the writing sample...

:blush: I had not filled that pen for a while. Lately I've been testing out a new Sailor 14c. 0.4 mm butter-line-stub.

My plan is to get a picture & a writing sample for this stub. At the same time I can also do a sample for my 0.6 mm round-nose CI.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 2 weeks later...

Some special nibs, most more italic than stub perhaps. Forgive me.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably another sideways photo, but here is a Leonardo Momento Zero stub nib. No idea on the size, but probably the 1.4mm and not the 1.1mm

fpn_1593046897__7020d4d4-0d51-4b24-9dab-

Posted Image

I'm parking myself in this topic and read through your excellent posts and pictures. Also, you all have beautiful penmanship, my compliments.

Stub and italic nibs tend to improve handwriting. Do you own any pens with a stub or italic nib?

Posted Image