Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

Wow, flex nibs can be very cool. You have lovely penmanship.

Dear Misfit,

thank You very much, I don't find my writing that nice yet... flex nibs teach to write slower, that helps.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

When the Chiefs won the AFC Championship and a berth in the Super Bowl, I knew I would get a pen to commemorate it as I did with the Kansas City Royals. I got a Kaweco Ice Sport in red with a 1.1mm italic nib. It is my first Kaweco italic nib, and I love it. Great line variation and smooth writing.

fpn_1579904165__8c9f0c0a-1cc1-4749-96ed-

Posted Image

What are you going to get when they win the Super Bowl? :thumbup:

Edited by jb500

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

I love how you put that. A banner, a T-shirt, something like that. I have always lived in the KC TV market, so I have been a fan since I became aware of football on TV.

When the Royals won in 2015, I got a pennant, clings for cars, a flag. @JB500, what would you get?

Posted Image

I'm actually a long-suffering Dolphins fan who is rooting for the Chiefs. Used to live outside of Philly, so I'd like to see Andy Reid win the big one. I guess a big win deserves a big pen: how about a reddish Ranga with a nice stub nib? :)

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

I understand long suffering fandom. Some writers in the KC Star pointed to that Christmas Day longest game as the derailment of the Chiefs. It would be nice to see Andy Reid win the Super Bowl. I would love it too since I’ve never seen that.

Now I must look up Ranga.

Posted Image

This isn't looking good...

fpn_1580002278__ranga_clipless_8b_staini

fpn_1580002323__ranga_clipless_8b_writin

There is no reason why a fresh fill of ink would run out after such a small amount of writing (note: this is the second A5 page I've written since the fill), when I've just drawn a full fill from the bottle, through the nib and feed into the converter. I checked, and the converter was still mostly full, so while there is a pathway from nib and feed into the cavity of the converter, ink is not being drawn back from the converter down into the feed by capillary action in the normal course of writing. The initial fill must have saturated the ebonite feed, but one A5 page of writing has drained it completely.

Even so, I still don't understand why the rim of the ebonite gripping section would become saturated. If I'm not mistaken, this pen is designed to be usable as an eye-droppered pen, so even if I filled the entire barrel with ink it still shouldn't seep down the side of the nib unit or permeate the ebonite material.

Update:

I just tried again, pushing ink into the feed by turning the piston mechanism on the converter, until the nib started writing wetly. No signs of leakage. However, by the end of the second A5 page of reasonably dense writing, the nib ran dry again, even though there is plenty of ink left in the converter.

Update #2:

I filled a different converter -- a Faber-Castell branded international standard converter, with a spring inside the cavity serving as an agitator -- with R&K Sepia ink and tried using it with this Ranga pen, and still it won't flow. Plugging either the Schmidt (that came with the Ranga) or the F-C converter into my F-C Ambition fountain pen, and the R&K Sepia ink has no problem flowing through to the nib.

I've now emptied and refilled the Schmidt converter (which doesn't have a built-in agitator) with Monteverde Moonstone ink, and plugged it back into the Ranga pen. Let's see if it works better.

Oh, and I checked the (different) F-C converter I used originally that had the Sailor Shikiori rikyucha ink, by unscrewing the Ranga's Bock nib unit and connecting the converter directly onto the feed's nipple. It seems to be slightly loose, probably because it'd been in a Chinese fountain pen that expected a converter with 2.6mm bore instead of the (international standard) 2.4mm bore. Still, I don't see why the ink would have managed to saturate the rim of the Ranga pen's ebonite gripping section, because it would probably mean that if I used the pen as an eye-droppered pen, then ink will soak through the ebonite pen body somewhere (perhaps again at the rim of the section).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Now THAT'S a nib! Very nice, David! I've always been a fan of broad Pelikan nibs and your post has inspired me to ink one of mine.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Heres what I inked this morning, thanks to Davids subliminal powers:

fpn_1580229830__06b7d506-dc98-4b73-a1a1-

fpn_1580229585__7e69917b-e1ce-4710-ab4d-

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I am loving this thread! I really want to add a nice stub pen to my collection--don't have even one yet! The information and suggestions are pretty overwhelming, but worth perusing several times, and worth taking notes! I'd be interested in other opinions or suggestions from anyone who's had experience with these kinds of nibs about a favorite to be found in a modern pen. It needs to be pretty smooth and wet as I'm left-handed. Not looking for a bargain pen, just an outstanding one with personality in the nib, since at my age I will probably invest in only one (famous last words...). So price is not the number one criterion for me, but rather quality and dependability. Thanks!

Edited by Southerngent

@Southerngent

Help us out with a few details, and we will all have suggestions.

Price range

Color preference

Weight of pen if it matters

How wide a nib would you like

Posted Image

Oh, that is nice ! I have a BBB on an Omas Paragon and it’s butter-smooth also.

Those are wonderful nibs! One can hope Pelikan makes them available again.

David

• 2 weeks later...

And back atcha, dcpritch! This one was crisped up by Michael Masuyama.

post-73460-0-44460200-1581562850_thumb.jpg
And a writing sample from another FPN topic:
post-73460-0-81777100-1581466375_thumb.jpg
David

Here's a Masuyama "round-nosed" cursive italic, ground from a massively tipped Sailor 14c. MS nib. This design almost halves the original width of the writing edge, from the (Sailor) stated music nib being 1.15 mm down to a 0.6 mm. My favourite CI.

I suppose I should post a picture of how this nib writes (once I get the pen inked again).

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Here's a Masuyama "round-nosed" cursive italic, ground from a massively tipped Sailor 14c. MS nib. This design almost halves the original width of the writing edge, from the (Sailor) stated music nib being 1.15 mm down to a 0.6 mm. My favourite CI.

I suppose I should post a picture of how this nib writes (once I get the pen inked again).

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

So sorry for the duplication.. This has been happening to me on other threads. A "senior moment" perhaps or the time when I posted the previous. Way past my bed time. :(