What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

If you look a few pages back it's from the vagabond traveller on eBay. I found them when looking for a reasonably priced alternative to saddleback. They are half the price and I've had mine for a few months and it's better than expected. It is a very thick and heavy leather though so be prepared for the weight.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pensfan and farseer911, I have been very interested in the M-51, but the reviews on Amazon are often very critical, reporting that the bag falls apart in just a few months. Clearly, this has not been your experience. Did you buy yours from a particular vendor?

Pensfan and farseer911, I have been very interested in the M-51, but the reviews on Amazon are often very critical, reporting that the bag falls apart in just a few months. Clearly, this has not been your experience. Did you buy yours from a particular vendor?

I bought mine on Amazon about 6 months ago and since have used it daily with no worries. I routinely have it filled with 3-4 books (including a study bible and a smaller bible), 2-3 notebooks, and the various things I mentioned earlier, and I have not seen any evidence of it starting to fall apart at all.

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

Just spotted the perfect 'messenger' type of bag on ebay in the UK - made by Billingham so you know it is high quality - good, manly canvass and leather - nice selection of pockets and things - and 'only' £245! No, I won't be having a bid, but perhaps they might consider making them again.

Chris

I got one on ebay, two or three from my local army surplus and one from a flee market. If the quality superb? No you win some you lose some. are there some lose threads, yes, but over all it is a good bag. My only advise is do not get the ones with the designs on them, they are not authentic and usually a lighter gauge canvas.

No parts have fallen off any of mine, and for sub $30 if you only get a year or two out of it, then it had a good life. But I am closing on two for my daily one and it still has a lot of life left in it.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Four days later and the Vagabond Traveler bag is now in my hands (bwah-wah-wah...). First impressions: this thing is a beautiful monster! The leather is nice, but not too nice so that you are afraid to bump it about. It feels very well made and sturdy, but it is very heavy. I'll post later about use experience, but for now, I'll just sit at my desk looking at it.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Those Vagabond Travelers look like exact replicas of the Saddleback bags (one of which has been in my possession now for a few months), right down to the label! Has anyone compared the two side by side?

I carry a 17" MacBook Pro - so my regular bag would definitely qualify as a "man bag." I got a nice leather messenger bag I picked up in Germany, made by Aunts & Uncles (yes, that's the company name, heh). It's a natural brown leather that's waxed/oiled and gets a nice patina as it ages (I haven't gotten there yet, as I got it in August). One of those "bags for life" type of deals.

For smaller stuff, I picked up a nice little bag made by a company in Amsterdam for something like 20-30€. Technically I guess, it's a woman's bag, but the colors/material are an olive/black corduroy - so it looks more manly (or at least uni-sex). I bought it to carry a rangefinder (camera) and a pair of lenses when out-and-about, but it works for pads and pens, a cellphone and wallet very nicely as well.

Don't even get me started on camera bags proper... :D

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/IMG_0452.jpg

Any links to where one could purchase this?

Edit: I'm guessing it's a Levenger briefolio leather portfolio?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=322-521|Level=2-3|pageid=4630

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Those Vagabond Travelers look like exact replicas of the Saddleback bags (one of which has been in my possession now for a few months), right down to the label! Has anyone compared the two side by side?

The Saddleback website, states that the bags are/were outsourced in Mexico, i would imagine that it could be possible that they come from the same source.

BTW- I've had my Vagabond bag for a week and love it, heavy yes, but the backpack shoulder straps allow you to carry it slung over a shoulder like a backpack, which is more comfortable for me than the traditional briefcase shoulder strap,

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/IMG_0452.jpg

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=322-521|Level=2-3|pageid=4630

You are correct. If you want to save some money, the bomber jacket briefolio is also very nice. I've seen it, and I bet scratches won't be as obvious on its pebble finish. I haven't seen the black version. I would add that the briefolio holds quite a bit and it feels very good clutched in one's hand.

You are correct. If you want to save some money, the bomber jacket briefolio is also very nice. I've seen it, and I bet scratches won't be as obvious on its pebble finish. I haven't seen the black version. I would add that the briefolio holds quite a bit and it feels very good clutched in one's hand.

I was thinking about the bomber jacket briefolio, but Levenger is having a 30% off sale at the moment, so I might just splurge and give myself another new years/end of semester gift :). I also love how it looks in your picture and I have enough black folios.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

I was thinking about the bomber jacket briefolio, but Levenger is having a 30% off sale at the moment, so I might just splurge and give myself another new years/end of semester gift :). I also love how it looks in your picture and I have enough black folios.

I think you'll like either. After carrying brief bags for years it was a revelation to realize I did not need to carry so much bulk and weight every day. In my briefolio I usually carry papers, mail, a daily planner, pen case, cell phone, a small zippered mesh bag for miscellaneous things, and there's room left over. It does attract scuffs, but they can be minimized with leather treatments. I like that the leather will develop a patina eventually.

Edited by Blade Runner

I carry a Hartmann leather folder. I don't carry a lot of junk unless I am going to paint. Then I have an old Windsor & Newton wood thing for paints and brushes, etc.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.