What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

Mine is the Rawlings Baseball briefcase. I only take it out on weekends to the bookstore. I get people constantly asking me about it. I have had it for 5 years and it still has that baseball glove leather smell

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure about all this talk about "manbags". Everyone knows that real men carry their pens and paraphenalia around in tool bags, around their waists. Anything too big to fit in the pouches, gets hung off the belt by lanyards. Tim Allen is obviously a fountain pen user.

I'm not sure about all this talk about "manbags". Everyone knows that real men carry their pens and paraphenalia around in tool bags, around their waists. Anything too big to fit in the pouches, gets hung off the belt by lanyards. Tim Allen is obviously a fountain pen user.

Don't joke around, they actually have writing oriented tool belts! Nomadic Waistbag (no affiliation and all that)

I require that a bag is

1. light

2. durable

3. zips open at the top and has 3 divided spaces

4. smaller outer zip pockets on one side

5. one longer open or zip pocket on the other outer side

6. conservative looking

7. can stand without listing or tipping over

8. can fit legal size documents and laptop

9. comfortable handle and strap.

Any ideas?

Tom Bihn - expensive but very good - I think the Zephyr and Empire Builder bags both meet your requirements - possibly some others too.

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

Lately I have been giving out to my scout leaders the M-51 Engineers Field Bag

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31uoqmEI-tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It works well for a throw around bag, that we need to keep our paperwork items in.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

I've been following this thread for a while, as I'm thoroughly sick of my Ortleib waterproof backpack (this one) - too hot on the back, too rigid, too inconvenient.

I was all set to order an M-51 and/or an army surplus canvas messenger bag, and about to pull the trigger, when I saw the Booq Boa Nerve messenger bag (this one). Now it's on the way to me. It was lurve at first sight.

...here's hoping the honeymoon is as sweet face-to-face.

I've been following this thread for a while, as I'm thoroughly sick of my Ortleib waterproof backpack (this one) - too hot on the back, too rigid, too inconvenient.

I was all set to order an M-51 and/or an army surplus canvas messenger bag, and about to pull the trigger, when I saw the Booq Boa Nerve messenger bag (this one). Now it's on the way to me. It was lurve at first sight.

But I can buy 5 m-51 bags for that price.....

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

This is the coolest Man bag ever---Pricey though!! Get it here

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4515859092_b74caf8336.jpg

This one is SUPERB. I'm seriously considering getting it.

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

LL bean Leather Messanger bag, you can buy 4 for the cost of the J crew one and it is warrantied for a lifetime replacement....

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Leather-Messenger-Bag-Regular_00F51A9B.jpg

Give it a few weeks and it will have the worn look you may be looking for. My wife is using hers after 4 years, I have my leather brief from them (although no longer made) and it is going on 8....

LL bean Leather Messanger bag, you can buy 4 for the cost of the J crew one and it is warrantied for a lifetime replacement....

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Leather-Messenger-Bag-Regular_00F51A9B.jpg

Give it a few weeks and it will have the worn look you may be looking for. My wife is using hers after 4 years, I have my leather brief from them (although no longer made) and it is going on 8....

Lifetime replacement? Cool - do you have a link where I could purchase it online from?

Also, re those notebooks that you sell - do you post offshore at all? I've noticed that you only do North America I think.

Cheers

Adam

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

I know, I know, I know, I know... but I just couldn't help myself. Plus, I wasn't 100% convinced that my 15" laptop would fit in the M-51, and I'd like to fit a change of clothes/be able to use it as a carry-on/overnight/gym bag as well, and the M-51 didn't fit that.

At some point, something smaller will be more useful more often. The M-51 will be my bag of choice when that day comes (hopefully soon).

Lately I have been giving out to my scout leaders the M-51 Engineers Field Bag

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31uoqmEI-tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It works well for a throw around bag, that we need to keep our paperwork items in.

This is a really good looking bag! Could you tell me how big it is and what size notepads will it hold? Also, where are you purchasing them? TIA

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

True enough, and you could also buy about 1000 57lb Kraft Paper Grocery bags, but your computer and other stuff would not be happy over the long haul. The Boog bag seems to be very well built. Assuming it last a good ten years, the amortized cost per year is excellent. And, undoubtedly, it will look cooler, with age, over time. BTW, they also come in navy blue.

I bought the DOMKE Reporter's Bag (about $90US) about a month ago. So far, it's a keeper, but the Boog bag looks so amazing -- I'm wondering if the Domke might need a brother.

I have been constantly reading this thread with great interest. I have, throughout my professional career, been switching between two Coach bags. They have been wonderful, but I have to say that now I am very much interested in the Saddleback Briefcase. It is an incredible piece of leather workmanship.

I have a new Mac and Camera set up to buy before I indulge in a bag...but I am sold hook, line, and sinker on Saddleback. The only real question is what size....I'm 5'8" and need it to carry a 15" MacBook Pro...I assume a medium will suffice.

Great thread!

Peter

I discovered Saddleback thanks to this thread. After a lot of deliberation and agonizing, I ordered the medium briefcase in the dark tobacco color. I've been carrying it for a few weeks now, and it has certainly met (if not exceeded) my expectations! The size is a bit big on me (I'm a 5'3" 125 lb. female), but not ridiculously so. It is heavy, especially full o' stuff, but nothing that is not manageable. I frequently carry mine as a backpack, and I've taken it on hikes, to work, on errands, etc. It's a very versatile bag. After only a few weeks, the leather has become softer. This is definitely a bag that will look and feel better the more it gets used.

To Peter (Pjake), you might consider the large size. My 13" macbook fits comfortably in the medium, but there is not much room to spare lengthwise; I think a 15" macbook pro would probably be very snug. The large is not much larger than the medium, but it would give you that extra wiggle room (and allow you the option of putting your computer in a protective sleeve).

A Wenger laptop bag - with in most cases a laptop in it apart from my pens and paper.

(Except during exams... where the bag needs to stay in a corner unattended)

If I go out for photographs a camera bag - where I just keep a biro (Space Pen Refill) and if I remember a notebook, Moleskine.

Else - no bag for me, but Jacket pockets :)

Writing a dying Art...

Montblanc LeGrand - Vaio SZ - Canon 5D MK II - Omega Speedmaster Professional

See my Website for more links including Art Prints.

I bought a leather satchel when I was in Rome last, however it has been semi-retired because Uni was a little too harsh on it.

So I purchased a Crumpler limited edition "Hoax". Crumpler is a melbourne based brand that used to just make bike messenger bags. Im sure it has been mentioned in this thread before. Its a excellent bag that you can fit a lot more in then you expect. Great for an unexpected trip to the library and having to take 6 or 7 books home.

Leather looks good, but I find that those that can carry a good amount of stuff are generally too heavy when filled. A bag that is light weight yet durable is one of the biggest considerations for me, so I'll have to go synthetic.