What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

I have a leather bag much like an attache case that I got in Morocco for cheap. It has a few pockets and also holders for half a dozen pens or pencils (smaller sized). I keep notes for my book in there, and then can easily take it to a writer's group I go to.

the pen is the window into the writer's soul

www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is my favorite in a London hotel. It has been a faithful companion over the years and is always at the ready for our next sojourn!

Eddie Bauer leather backpack that I picked up on eBay for about $50.00.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4824445326_ce2994f4aa_b.jpg

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Louis Vuitton briefcase. Yeah, I know, I'm an elitist snob. I embrace it. :roflmho:

Todd

Pics!!! How often do you use it? What about the scratches and all?

I use an LL bean Canvas Messenger Bag

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40308?parentCategory=845&feat=845-tn&cat4=&productId=638796&attrValue_0=British%20Khaki

Which I quite like, but it does not have any pen loops in any of the pockets. I now have a gfeller pen case that I throw in one of the pockets.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

I know it's been mentioned dozens of times in this thread, but I recently got the M-51 Field Engineer's bag from Amazon, and I love it. There is lots of room for journals, papers (and probably a laptop, too, although I haven't tried that yet). There are SO many pen loops that when fully loaded, I look like a FP salesperson.... It is compact, too, and vertical, which I find preferable. Check it out.

My fav is Colonel Littleton Mail Bag.

The bag is built to last and the leather is high end.

"Churn the Butter"

I just reviewed my favorite Man-Bag this month, the Tom Bihn Ristretto. I love all their stuff, this was the perfect size for me.

http://www.surfbits.com/?p=2754

I have the regular size Ristretto and I love it. Perfect size, great construction, and (of course) pen slots.

Oh well got to join the fun. I have used many “man bags” over the years including Jack Spade and Hartmann two of my favorites. However, recently I have been using a bag from 5.11 Tactical called the P.U.S.H. pack.

I like this bag for several reasons:

The bag is large enough for the daily necessities, but not so large that I overload it (a bad habit I have) with unneeded stuff.

The bag has lots of pockets, loops, Velcro, slots so it is very versatile and can be customized with additional options if desired. The bag includes a padded strap as well as additional pads where it contacts your body which makes it very comfortable to carry.

Not only does the bag have that rugged military look it is actually a rugged military type bag.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

- Milton Friedman

I'm still using my 35 year old made in the USA George Daniel briefcase, all natural-colored belting leather, nicely aged, 16 3/8w by 11 1/8h by 5 1/2d. Other than the natural aging, it looks like I bought it last week. Made of only three materials: genuine full grain belting leather, brass, and stout industrial grade cord. A classic piece of high quality artisanal craftsmanship.

CFTPM

I bought a brown leather Samsonite bag about three years ago. I had extra money after the holidays and saw this one while browsing through Office Depot. Even though I've seen nicer ones since (notably those in Levenger's catalogue and a beatiful hand-tooled one at the Bristol Ren Faire), I always resist buying a new one. I don't want to buy a new, expensive one and then beat the h**l out of it like I have the Samsonite. Don't get me wrong, it still looks pretty good if you just glance at it. Look close, however, and you'll see all the stains (ink and other things), discoloration, and stretch marks. I just can't bring myself to do that to some hand-tooled work of art.

Edited by Joshua Perz

I keep some bags looking pristine, and I have others that I beat the h**l out of right away. I like them both, but I really like my beat to h**l bags a little bit more, and I like that beat up look. BTW, my Samsonites lasted decades and were absconded by the kids who still beat the (Potty Mouth) out of them.

CFTPM

Hello

I starting hearing a lot about Timbuk2 messenger bags so I decided to go out and purchase one. I bought an empire red small classic messenger bag from them and I absolutely love it.

Like BarryLee, I use a shoulder-slung bag, although only when working as a musician.

http://pics2upload.s3.amazonaws.com/maxpedition.jpg

The pockets are great for all the handy tools, paracord, plasters for grazed knees, torch, water bottle, keys, wallet, etc. Small enough to carry around easily and keep safely on stage out of the way.

But often I'll need to carry A4 files for the day job, and the rather 'tactical' look is not perhaps as appropriate. And probably not the most prudent choice for London these days if you have a beard, and are a bit swarthy looking!

I found a UK maker who has a standard range, but who will also happily run off something to order. Starting with his 'Laptop rucksack' http://www.htleather.co.uk/catalogue/satchel/satchel.html#lruck, I paid £5 extra (£183 delivered) to have a satchel with a solid handle on top and catch on the front - I'll post a full review in the appropriate section for those who are interested...

http://pics2upload.s3.amazonaws.com/upright.jpg http://pics2upload.s3.amazonaws.com/inside.jpg http://pics2upload.s3.amazonaws.com/contents.jpg

Understated, solidly built and a good balance between bulk and contents.

M1000 M.

CS Bard IM

Visconti HS M

And that should do it!

Really like the "Laptop Rucksack". What kind of leather is it? Also, what are those other little bits of leather items?

CFTPM

Really like the "Laptop Rucksack". What kind of leather is it? Also, what are those other little bits of leather items?

Leather was the chunkiest on offer - I wanted a lighter colour, but Henry sent through samples and I went for the thickest. Aim was long term durability. Please email him directly for details - he's very user friendly - Henry Tomkins [henry@htleather.co.uk]

Please see thread for details of contents https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/163874-henry-tomkins-satchel-book-bag/ - I've already been quizzed about them!

Hope that covers everything, let me know if not. I still have the original sample if you want, but send a SAE and Henry will provide you with a set...

M1000 M.

CS Bard IM

Visconti HS M

And that should do it!

Leather was the chunkiest on offer - I wanted a lighter colour, but Henry sent through samples and I went for the thickest. Aim was long term durability. Please email him directly for details - he's very user friendly - Henry Tomkins [henry@htleather.co.uk]

Please see thread for details of contents https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/163874-henry-tomkins-satchel-book-bag/ - I've already been quizzed about them!

Hope that covers everything, let me know if not. I still have the original sample if you want, but send a SAE and Henry will provide you with a set...

That is a beauty, it will last a lifetime. I use a leather bag as well, but the quality is not close to yours....