Montblanc - around the world in 80 days

vikrmbedi

Looks like something different is finally coming our way. Pictures are available online ... should be available in may... has meisterstuck  legrand, classic doue , solitaire , watch, ink , cuff links etc ...ooh looks exciting specially if it turns into something like the le petite prince series... I love the legrand and the solitaire.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colormind

• Uncial

• Cyrille81

• christam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

36 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Oh, I like the look of that blue 146

A blue 146 is a wonderful idea.

I'd rather it had a blue piston knob and no extra metal on the cap (ie. a solid blue 146).

I think I'll always be a fan of the black pens, but it's nice to see some colour coming into the range.

This looks to be the first of a series of 80 year pens and I agree the blue 146 looks lovely. I wonder if next year we will see an elephant or a train for crossing India?

Interesting concept, seems to be well-executed. A bit too specific for my taste (I don't like heavily-thematic pens), but I expect this to be very popular, especially since they can be collected as a set.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

I got a message from my local Montblanc Dealer on Friday about this new line.

I was totally excited. They already have the new pens in stock. Today I got pictures. I like them.

Okay, there are not totally perfect to me. As mentioned there is maybe a little too much going on there. But I like them.

But: I got the prices as well from my dealer:
- 730 EUR for the Classique Fountain Pen

- 840 EUR for the Le Grand

To be honest: Those prices are too high for me for the offered. The price for the Le grand is almost as high as the price for a Great Characters or Writers Edition. More than 500 EUR for the ball-point.

I will check out the new pens at my next visit at my dealer. But unfortunately I guess those prices for a "simple" Meisterstück SE are too crazy for me now. Don't get me wrong: MB was always very expensive over the last years - maybe too expensive in comparison to competitors. However I happily paid 700 EUR for an Unicef Meisterstück Le Grand or an Ultra Black Le Grand. That was okay to me. But now more than 800 EUR for a Le Grand Meisterstück (Special Edition). Hm ...

Next month is a big birthday for me. My plan was a nice MB 146 - as always. Now my plan is to choose a Great Characters (Walt Disney) over this new Meisterstück. Or maybe I will buy a different brand for the first time ever - maybe a Scribo ...

I am wondering how you see those prices for the Around the world in 80 days ...

Cheers

colormind

Each year the prices of pens of the same series (GC, WE, etc.) are increasing at MB. For the Petit Prince Solitaire LeGrand, the first one was 1525€, the second 1630€ and the last one was 1930€. And you have the same kind of increase for the limited edition GC and WE. In 2014 the JFK was 3000€ and the Walt Disney was 3150€ and 3460€ for Elvis. So that is the issue with MB and their expensive prices. But as all the pens including Artisan Editions with prices at 5, 6 or 7 digits sells easily MB won't change their pricing politics for sure... It is the same for Apple for example.

But for the Around the world in 80 days I'm waiting the Solitaire LeGrand that I will probably buy.

I have seen photos of the new series — I have all three pens in Le Petit Prince series — the two sets of pens seem duplicative for my collection — I will stand down. 

42 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Is there a release date yet?

I believe early May, but the local MB did not have them in stock yet (as of last weekend). Fahrney’s Pens (Washington, DC) has them displayed in their spring catalogue. But, I am not sure if they have actual product on hand. 

5 hours ago, ljz said:

iguanasell already has them in stock

Nib choice is very limited though - only F or M.

• 2 weeks later...

This is nice! I also like the 146 size with blue resin cap and barrel, especially with the little ship engraved on the cap and the balloon on the nib, very cool. 

Btw, when I first saw this thread, I thought someone was complaining and making a joke about a Montblanc’s slow shipping. Oh but of course! 😀 It’s a book many of us can relate to. I bet that MB will do well with this one too.

15 hours ago, Cyrille81 said:

Some photos of my Solitaire LeGrand edition:

51159135465_7f7c04da07_c.jpg

51158026246_445bc5bf62_c.jpg

51158026076_62c589d7b6_c.jpg

51158264258_1c44c64143_c.jpg

51157364567_a44c69145a_c.jpg

51158813034_31428f5851_c.jpg

51157364002_93c6cf24cb_c.jpg

51159137995_39f678a3f7_c.jpg

51160845165_48702b2762_c.jpg

Very pretty, the masking on the nib has been done really precisely. I'm never sure what I feel about Montblanc lacquer work though, since it usually lacks depth. But on this pen, the silver "clouds" seem to be raised. Very nice.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)