sansenri

Wow, congratulations to that wonderful and rare find! I think your chances are pretty good that the celluloid will be fine, though there’s never a warranty for that (see vintage Tibaldi :( ). The King was a producer in Torino with maybe loose ties to OMAS in the early days. But as far as I know, it’s fairly clear by now that their pens were not produced by OMAS, as had been assumed earlier. I have an early gold overlay safety filler by them and thus searched quite a bit about them for that reason.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• como

• Michael R.

• Seney724

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMASsimo: Thank you! You are right there is no guaranty that it will not outgas but I will have to take my chance, as Wild is one of my favourite celluloids. If I have a chance in the future to physically examine an Omas Wild from a trusted source and the price is good, I wouldn't mind getting one again. I read whatever I could find on The King. There are different theories as to the origin of their pens. I tend to believe that some of the pens from The King had some sort of association with Omas (and also SAFIS or Aurora), while others not. In any case, if this pen were an Omas pen and marked as such, it would have been more unaffordable. By the way, the overlay pens from The King are among the most beautiful. Enjoy yours in good times and good health!

Como, thank you and you are absolutely right about the beauty of the overlay. And I inked my Galileo to make the best use of it while it is still in great shape. I hope you will enjoy your new The King as much as I do enjoy my Galileo.

It hurt me reading what happened to this pen. One advantage of collecting the low end of the market, is that the death of the pen is usually sudden. A crack that makes the cap or barrel useless. Sometimes it is more gradual and you can see the crack growing. But to have it gradually dissolve away like that is definitely less of an issue.

Thanks, despite I was preparing for it, it sort of happened too soon.

Admittedly I was trying to give the pen a last try (that's when it broke as I tried to turn the piston) but the last experience in which it changed the colour of the ink in it had made me wary of using the pen.

I assume the nitric acid changed the ink's pH, affecting the colour...

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2020 at 12:44 PM, Michael R. said:

I have had the same breakdown with the Omas LE Arlecchino and Paragon in Arlecchino celluloid. I can post pictures if you like. 

@Michael R.If you could put up your photos I would be most grateful!

Thanks.

@Seney724:

Here are some images of my gone pens:

50576055966_a1a08d07e8_4k.jpgP1550430 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576056316_8caa12f0b2_4k.jpgP1550429 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576195622_4de5756fe3_4k.jpgP1550427 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576194827_3fe7809404_4k.jpgP1550431 by pensninks, auf Flickr

The Lucens shown below started to looking no good as well (showing all signs...):

50576055501_00af78e076_4k.jpgP1550432 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576055171_e20c4044f2_4k.jpgP1550433 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576193977_eeb81f3140_4k.jpgP1550435 by pensninks, auf Flickr

Cheers

Michael

13 minutes ago, Michael R. said:

@Seney724:

Here are some images of my gone pens:

50576055966_a1a08d07e8_4k.jpgP1550430 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576056316_8caa12f0b2_4k.jpgP1550429 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576195622_4de5756fe3_4k.jpgP1550427 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576194827_3fe7809404_4k.jpgP1550431 by pensninks, auf Flickr

The Lucens shown below started to looking no good as well (showing all signs...):

50576055501_00af78e076_4k.jpgP1550432 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576055171_e20c4044f2_4k.jpgP1550433 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50576193977_eeb81f3140_4k.jpgP1550435 by pensninks, auf Flickr

Cheers

Michael

So sad to see such nice pens go like this, brings back the suffering for my Galileo...

I'm using my celluloids more often since

3 minutes ago, Michael R. said:

@sansenri: I've bought a faceted resin Arlecchino from Leonardo 😉 

I would be interested to hear your impression of the resin Arlecchino.  I have never seen one in person.

The colors of the resin Arlecchino, at least in the photos I have seen, appear to be rather "muted" when compared to the celluloid Arlecchino.  Is that your impression or are the photos doing the resin Arlecchino an injustice?

7 minutes ago, Michael R. said:

@sansenri: I've bought a faceted resin Arlecchino from Leonardo 😉 

ah yes! I've seen those...

honestly I've never really cared to much for the Arlecchino celluloid, Leonardo hasn't been able to do a wild resin... yet :)

That would be quite something if they did.

My Galileo seems to be slowly liquifying. It feels very oily and has a very strong acrid stink. I think it's time to pull the nib and feed and ditch the rest.

OH my goodness, this is depressing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

it is somewhat, on the other hand it is because we always thought most of these objects would be eternal...

verified the possibility of this to happen, the best strategy is use the darn things as much as possible and leave the plain plastic pens to posterity...

@sansenri Perhaps not really a good comparison, but I feel that some rotten celluloid pens are killing the reputation of celluloid pens, in a similar way that the VW emissions scandal killed the diesel car business!

possibly true, I'm generalizing too much, there are a large number of old celluloid pens that are just fine as they are...

I'm probably thinking mostly about some modern celluloid pens, a number of which are Italian... as the casualty reports add up, I'm not frightened, but might as well put them to work more often, I've no doubt kept some stored for too long while dedicating far to much time to some plastic "cheapies" (relatively of course)...

but you know how it happens, sometimes the "bad" pens get more attention, in the attempt to make them better! :)

Arlecchino, Galileo, Urbano,Roma 753 , are all gone. Only the nibs can be reused . Omas company is also gone. 😡😡

Like most things in life, celluloid pens must be enjoyed while they exist... their eternal value lies in their vulnerability