Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

@Vicary

That dolphin is really cool.

@jiscoco

That is an amazing and cool collection of Leonardos. What is the color name of the one on the far right?

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it's only an oblique shot of my Momento Zero, but I used it last night in a posting and thought I would share here.

Tonight, I'm going to write a couple of notes to people with this pen, and I'm going to listen to one of Bela Bartok's remarkable string quartets and study with my score. There is only so much angst and worry we should put ourselves through. Reach out, reach inside, and find balance. Peace.

(The quote I cited is by Timber Hawkeye)

rUdrgVml.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Nice photo, Jon!

i'm glad to find you are safe and sane, with a little help from writing and music.

I rely on those as well, with the addition of cooking and baking. I pity those without creative avocations when homebound.

Stay healthy!

David

My photo will not be as beautiful and well set up as Jons (always) is, but here goes.

Inspired by a fusion of sun, sand and sea: Blue Hawaii

fpn_1585354855__e282f69f-4e26-42f3-91f2-

Posted Image

My photo will not be as beautiful and well set up as Jons (always) is, but here goes.

Inspired by a fusion of sun, sand and sea: Blue Hawaii

fpn_1585354855__e282f69f-4e26-42f3-91f2-

Looks very handsome to me!

Enjoy!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thank you Mark.

I like the looks of Jon’s pen, and the copper version that got lots of references, plus green and purple. Oh dear.

Posted Image

Nice photo, Jon!

i'm glad to find you are safe and sane, with a little help from writing and music.

I rely on those as well, with the addition of cooking and baking. I pity those without creative avocations when homebound.

Stay healthy!

David

Thank you, David. I wish only the best for you, every one else in our state and our nation and globe. This is so unsettling and not being particularly well-fought. Fingers-crossed!

I haven't forgotten about taking pics of my "Sarj" pen but will hope to do it soon. Whenever it happens, it will land in this thread.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I received this Momento Zero Grande today- thanks to ArchiMark! It's the dark brown coffee color. This rounds out the standard colors in my Zero Grande collection.

I was wondering how it would compare to the marbled brown Momento Zero. It's a nice color, but a little duller and murkier overall than the brown on the regular sized Zero. It's more consistent too- variations on a middle brown, while the standard Zero features warmer, brighter browns against darker blacks. The Coffee Grande is sort of all middle ground. Under some light they blend together almost, but under direct sunlight there's a noticeable difference. Both are beautiful pens, though. I figured I'd post a couple pictures so you can compare. Though from what I understand, the marbled brown Zero is no longer available.

best,

Doug

08sIhpN.jpg

H44pcIT.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So something new arrived today. It's a Momento Zero Grande Forest, a limited production piece made for Casa Della Penna in Naples. The material is unlike any I've ever seen, with streaks of black and orange in yellow. The black and yellow combine to give parts of it a bit of a greenish tint. The trim and nib is ruthenium plated, and the imprint is filled in with black. It's called 'Foresta' but I think Jungle would be a more appropriate term. Sadly, I was told this was the last one. Cool addition to the family! Like an even crazier Harlequin.

best,

Doug

aSE9TJW.jpg

Edited by Vicary

So something new arrived today. It's a Momento Zero Grande Forest, a limited production piece made for Casa Della Penna in Naples. The material is unlike any I've ever seen, with streaks of black and orange in yellow. The black and yellow combine to give parts of it a bit of a greenish tint. The trim and nib is ruthenium plated, and the imprint is filled in with black. It's called 'Foresta' but I think Jungle would be a more appropriate term. Sadly, I was told this was the last one. Cool addition to the family! Like an even crazier Harlequin.

best,

Doug

aSE9TJW.jpg

Incredible!

I took photos of my current Leonardo collection for another purpose, so I thought I'd post an update here too.

Leonardo pens 1.jpg

Leonardo pens LE's.jpg

I have a couple more Leonardo pens on order, with shipment awaiting the re-opening of Italian companies tomorrow! Did I say I rather like this brand?

David

Beautiful grouping, David. The Blue pen third from the right (?Juma) and the Burl catch my eye the most. Thank you for showing us.

Edited by Herrjaeger

I took photos of my current Leonardo collection for another purpose, so I thought I'd post an update here too.

Well, those are just as handsome as it gets! Now, I do have a question:

Since the materials are often difficult to capture, are pens #2/4/6 in the first photo the same material? My only reason to ask is that they all look similar to the blue "Sarj" pen I purchased in LA, esp #2, but it is one of those materials that on 2 'sides' or views it is just a very, very dark blue, while the opposite areas have wispy clouds of lighter, silvery material. My entire point would be: what is this color/material called?

As to the second photo, I would seriously consider committing crimes if I could get my hands on the pen in the top photo. The combination of style and the particular material may be one of the most attractive pens I've ever seen and completely matches every aesthetic I hold dear. Do keep it away from me!

(Thanks for these photos, David)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, those are just as handsome as it gets! Now, I do have a question:

Since the materials are often difficult to capture, are pens #2/4/6 in the first photo the same material? My only reason to ask is that they all look similar to the blue "Sarj" pen I purchased in LA, esp #2, but it is one of those materials that on 2 'sides' or views it is just a very, very dark blue, while the opposite areas have wispy clouds of lighter, silvery material. My entire point would be: what is this color/material called?

As to the second photo, I would seriously consider committing crimes if I could get my hands on the pen in the top photo. The combination of style and the particular material may be one of the most attractive pens I've ever seen and completely matches every aesthetic I hold dear. Do keep it away from me!

(Thanks for these photos, David)

Hi, Jon.

Thanks! I believe you can discern that I'm rather fond of them myself.

I have no duplicate pens or materials. Pen #2 from the left is "Blue Hawaii." #4 is "Positano." #6 is "Blue Galaxy." Those are Leonardo's names for the materials.

I looked at the photo you posted of the Leonardo you bought from Sarj Minhas. Very interesting! First off, the material does not look like Blue Hawaii. In the photo it has some sparkly spots like a "Diamondcast" resin. But the shape and cap band look like the "Speranza" models that are to be released tomorrow (!) in two beautiful materials. (I have a "Musk Green" one with gold hardware ordered.) Take a look at Leonardo's IG or any of the Leonardo vendors web sites.

The pen that is inspiring you to criminality is a Momento Zero in OMAS "Burlwood" celluloid, as you probably know. When OMAS issued their Paragon in this material, I really lusted after it, but the cost at the time was more than I could justify. I was able to get this Leonardo for just slightly less than the original OMAS price. But, at 2019 prices ... ? It has a 14 Kt Fine nib that writes so beautifully I think it's a match for an OMAS nib. I like it.

Happy writing!

David

I think I have 7 or 8 Leos. This is the first one I bought. Broad nib.CFC06B8C-D0DC-4137-B1A4-A42C55922622.jpeg

I finally re-took the family portrait. It's still not complete, though. I'm still waiting for the Furore Bronzo I ordered back around Christmas! But the family has already outgrown its home...

IrLSTHn.jpg

Since my previous post in this thread, I have been able to acquire one more, very special Leonardo pen. The OMAS Burlwood celluloid has been a "grail" material for me for several years. The price of the OMAS pens in Burlwood was just too high for my comfort level. Last week I saw one of the Leonardo Limited Editions (15 pens for ItalianPens dot com) in this material on an auction site. I bid on it and (miracle of miracles) won the auction for the starting bid price. No one else bid!

It has a smooth-writing fine nib. I'm very happy with it.

attachicon.gif IMG_1077.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_1078.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_1079.jpg

Happy writing!

David

Wow....this is a lovely pen. so this is a celluoid material...could have fooled me - It looks exactly like highly polished burlwood!

I hope if you bump into my postings in other places you won't begrudge this one, but I did promise David I'd try to get some pics of this pen...

I get very frustrated trying to photograph some pens... I'm not really well set up for it. But finally, I HAD to take pics of this one!

This is the LOI "Sarj Minhas #onemanpenshow" fountain pen I purchased directly from Sarj at the 2020 LA Pen Show. I don't know the exact name of the color - very dark blue, almost black, with whispy silver/grey mixed in bands. The pen features sliver hardware and nib (the Southern California sunlight lends a golden hue) and is a piston filler.

Notable elements are a nice wide cap band with a pattern that is reminiscent of Parker Vac and Duofold bands, and then... three etchings of Sarj himself, his messenger bag at the ready to show you some pens! I've included shots of the barrel engraving, his profile etched in the nib, and a sweet little finial adornment.

The pen had the good fortune of a cancellation in Michael Masuyama's queue, so the standard medium is now a responsive cursive italic. Paired with the generous ebonite feed, it is a wonderful writer.

I don't really know how many pens Sarj had made; mine is #62. The pens on display were in a number of materials and colors, as well as trim choice. I feel very fortunate to have a very personal writing instrument in honor of a good friend and icon of the pen world. Enjoy!

AZ56Hwtl.jpg

9btLbBil.jpg

1v9KkXHl.jpg

IEb2HVHh.jpg

77AYimxl.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin