Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

There are so many kinds of resins. How can they be all the same? Papers, inks, etc, name anything and there are degrees of difference.

I may have a limited experience, or possibly suffer from peripheral neuropathy. The question was with regard to 'feel'. For my three dozen pens, I notice a difference between the 'feel' of celluloid, resin, ebonite, wood, metal. Among my resins, I don't notice any difference in 'feel'. I buy them for how they look, for which I do notice significant difference. Again, that may reflect a lack of breadth in the resins I own, or a lack of sophistication in sensing a difference, which is entirely possible -- I have friends talk about 'notes' in the wine we're drinking, or 'subtleties' in the music their sound system is producing, and I just don't get it.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have a limited experience, or possibly suffer from peripheral neuropathy. The question was with regard to 'feel'. For my three dozen pens, I notice a difference between the 'feel' of celluloid, resin, ebonite, wood, metal. Among my resins, I don't notice any difference in 'feel'. I buy them for how they look, for which I do notice significant difference. Again, that may reflect a lack of breadth in the resins I own, or a lack of sophistication in sensing a difference, which is entirely possible -- I have friends talk about 'notes' in the wine we're drinking, or 'subtleties' in the music their sound system is producing, and I just don't get it.

I can totally see what you mean. I can't feel the notes of the wines much, nor can I feel much the subtleties of the sound system. Mostly I'm quite dull to most things.

So it was quite a new and unique sensation for me that I felt 'something' when I started using the fountain pens. How the nib touches the paper, how the inks are spread, how the various materials feel in the hand differently, etc. Everything was new to me. I wonder why it happened there. Perhaps you will get your moment. I hope you do someday. I know how great it feels when the sensation comes.

Edited by clear1

'Resin' is just a generic name for plastic, so ebonite and celluloid are also types of resin as well as amber and urushi lacquer. But when pen manufacturers say their pens are made of 'resin' they are talking about PMMA resin, AKA acrylic resin. Whatever their colour and pattern, these are all the same material so should feel mostly the same.

The replacement stub nib for my Momento Zero Grande in Sand arrived last week! It did have some problems with slow starts after a pause in writing, but flossing the nib seems to have cured it or at least improved it substantially. Like all my Leonardo steel stubs, it is a sweet writer.

MSG Sand with Stub a.jpg

Leonardo MZG with Stub b.jpg

Leonardo MZG stub nib.jpg

Happy writing!

David

Congratulations, David, beautiful writing from a beautiful pen!

Glad to hear your nib swap ended happily. Mine is not yet resolved. The vendor asked me to send back both wrong nibs (reimbursing me for postage, but not quite enough once the exchange rate worked out) and I am still waiting for my fine nib. I don’t think this seller is paying much attention to their business .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Congratulations, David, beautiful writing from a beautiful pen!

Glad to hear your nib swap ended happily. Mine is not yet resolved. The vendor asked me to send back both wrong nibs (reimbursing me for postage, but not quite enough once the exchange rate worked out) and I am still waiting for my fine nib. I don’t think this seller is paying much attention to their business .....

Thanks for the kind words.

Did you successfully contact Salvatore about your nib difficulties?

David

Time for an updated family portrait...the collection has outgrown the 20 slots allotted in this pen case. And there are at least a couple on my wish list. Thankfully I'm not a fan of ebonite so there are at least 6 pens I know I won't be adding...

gBfW4aw.jpg

Thanks for the updated family portrait, vicary!

The family continues to grow and looking very handsome too.

Need a few more so you get to a nice round number.....

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks for the kind words.

Did you successfully contact Salvatore about your nib difficulties?

David

Not yet, I think the seller should sort it out really. But I’m increasingly thinking I should resort to contacting Salvatore - I’ve now got a pen with no nib.

But these are difficult times for pen makers and sellers, and I’ve also been waiting on a Copper Grande from a different seller (surprise!) for a couple of months now, and a Maiora took several months to arrive. I guess things are taking a while to recover ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Time for an updated family portrait...the collection has outgrown the 20 slots allotted in this pen case. And there are at least a couple on my wish list. Thankfully I'm not a fan of ebonite so there are at least 6 pens I know I won't be adding...

gBfW4aw.jpg

Hubba Hubba!! Does the Momento Zero Grande Forest from Casa Della Penna have the removable blind cap with piston knob underneath, or is it a functional blind cap. My MZ Grande Art Decos have the Delta-like piston know under the cap, but my 2020 MZ Grande has the functional blind cap.

Hubba Hubba!! Does the Momento Zero Grande Forest from Casa Della Penna have the removable blind cap with piston knob underneath, or is it a functional blind cap. My MZ Grande Art Decos have the Delta-like piston know under the cap, but my 2020 MZ Grande has the functional blind cap.

The MZ Grande Foresta uses the older captive converter style filler, with the removable blind cap. From here on out the MZ Grande is using an actual piston filling system, actuated by the blind cap. The entire system is different. Seems to work pretty well, too. Though I had no issues with the older system...

My Momento Zero Grande Girasole has arrived (at long last). It is even more beautiful than I expected, which was expected.

LOI Girasole2web.jpg

LOI Girasole nib_web.jpg

What ink to load first? It would be great with Leonardo Green, Blue, Black or Sepia I think. Red or Purple not so much.

David

Lovely pen, David, with lots of Spring -Summer colors. The Leonardo Green sounds great, and perhaps KWZI Honey. Enjoy!

Colorful looking pen, David!

Interesting, Vicary's looks more subdued in comparison...but could be the lighting in photo.

Leonardo Green should be good in it....

Enjoy!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

FYI, I ended up inking my Girasole with an ink from Papier Plume in NOLA that is a teal with a gray cast. Nice ink in this pen. I might offer a writing sample real soon now.

David

Colorful looking pen, David!

Interesting, Vicary's looks more subdued in comparison...but could be the lighting in photo.

Leonardo Green should be good in it....

Enjoy!

Mark

I'm sure it is the lighting. Vicary posted photos of his Girasole at least twice in this topic. You can see the difference in appearance, depending on lighting. I made a particular effort to take my photos in shaded natural, bright light. I took photos of my pen in various rooms with different kids of lighting, and it looks amazingly different.

David

@Vicary I'm expecting to see your MZ Grande Stromboli and Vesuvio soon... :D

Lol I have the Stromboli on order. I think I'm going to pass on the Vesuvio, though. That material looks just a little murky to me. Something else cool coming though! ;)

So many nice Leonardos and pictures... :wub:

It took me a while to take those pictures of my Leonardo Moment Zero Grande Art Deco Sand with music nib I got last winter:

50108109567_24496129e7_3k.jpgP1540276 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107298873_7996e80877_3k.jpgP1540283 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50108110227_6cbb35d78b_3k.jpgP1540287 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107300593_9588777d30_3k.jpgP1540289 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107868581_349648191a_3k.jpgP1540305 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107865711_6cc9ca4ab2_3k.jpgP1540280 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107348493_16be1872c4_3k.jpgP1540310 (1) by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107304983_49918857b9_3k.jpgP1540316 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107302928_033eb08a6b_3k.jpgP1540315 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107304873_0d926c07dc_3k.jpgP1540317 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107305218_6284e822dc_3k.jpgP1540326 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50107871811_5914b66447_3k.jpgP1540331 by pensninks, auf Flickr

50108114702_e8c1dc37ee_3k.jpgP1540327 by pensninks, auf Flickr

A few more pictures are uploaded to my flickr album.

This one keeps me entertained while waiting for two new ones arriving soon (I hope).

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.