• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leonardo announced Momento Zero pens in new resins over the weekend. These are not limited editions. They come with steel nibs. They are screw-in Bock nibs. (Yay! for screw-in!) Available with gold or rhodium hardware. Rose gold is available by special order.

They are starting to appear on vendors' web sites. I have already ordered the blue and the blue/green ones with 1.1mm stubs. Estimated shipping in about 2 weeks.

What do you think?

attachicon.gif MZ 2020 pens.jpeg

David

are you going for the gold or HT trim?

I like the green one so much, but I'm undecided on the trim!

I would like to see the blue/grey material being compared with the Tibaldi Impero celluloid!

I will certainly do that, when my MZ Sorrento Blue arrives!

David

are you going for the gold or HT trim?

I like the green one so much, but I'm undecided on the trim!

I chose gold for both, but I think HT would look as good or better on the Sorrento Blue.

David

Thanks David, you'll have to tell me also whether the stub nibs in steel are also tipped, like the gold, or not :)

I can tell you about the steel stub nibs, because I have a number of them already. They are not tipped, but they are both crisp enough for calligraphy and smooth enough for cursive writing. I actually prefer how they write to the Leonardo gold stubs which write quite wet for me.

David

Oh my, that violet colour! Interesting that these ones have three cap rings. I presume they’re not Grande size?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Oh my, that violet colour! Interesting that these ones have three cap rings. I presume they’re not Grande size?

Correct. They are the regular MZ, not the Grande.

I'm still recovering from the return trip so full pen photos will have to wait. However, I had a truly sweet "Leonardo" moment at the LA Pen Show. My dear friend Marta and I are shown with Sarj Minhas, both of us purchasing newly released "Sarj 'One-Man Pen Show' Minhas" pens at the LAIPS! Beautiful new piston-fillers by Leonardo, with Sarj's iconic image in three places on the pen. This is a great memory item to keep and use.

9KRpwuZ.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I can tell you about the steel stub nibs, because I have a number of them already. They are not tipped, but they are both crisp enough for calligraphy and smooth enough for cursive writing. I actually prefer how they write to the Leonardo gold stubs which write quite wet for me.

David

thank you David, noted, as I don't really write script and like wet nibs I may prefer the gold stubs.

I will probably go for a B anyway, as I wasn't planning to get a gold nib on this one. Lovely colours though.

I'm still recovering from the return trip so full pen photos will have to wait. However, I had a truly sweet "Leonardo" moment at the LA Pen Show. My dear friend Marta and I are shown with Sarj Minhas, both of us purchasing newly released "Sarj 'One-Man Pen Show' Minhas" pens at the LAIPS! Beautiful new piston-fillers by Leonardo, with Sarj's iconic image in three places on the pen. This is a great memory item to keep and use.

Wow, I saw that pen on Sarj's Instagram, but thought it was for himself. Did he make many of them and sell them? Please do a review of it for the rest of us! :)

Wow, I saw that pen on Sarj's Instagram, but thought it was for himself. Did he make many of them and sell them? Please do a review of it for the rest of us! :)

Hey, that is what I thought as well! I had already visited with him and when I saw my friend there, I walked over from another aisle. She was the one that showed me he had a few in differing materials. I can't remember, at the moment, if Sarj said the initial LE run was 100 or 150. Mine happens to be #62. I was so surprised about this turn of events that I didn't even think. We looked at each other, laughed, and started getting out the money!

Yeah, I'll write it up a little later in the week, get some pics done as well. It means a lot to me because Sarj does, as well. The cherry on top was that the next day *another* friend came up to me and said "my husband decided he doesn't need any work done, you can have his spot with Mike". So I had Masuyama-san put an italic on the tip and now it has elements of *two* of my fave people.

"You come for the pens, you stay for the people."

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

She was the one that showed me he had a few in differing materials.

Wow, it's getting more and more exciting! :) I'll look forward to read your review!

Leonardo announced Momento Zero pens in new resins over the weekend. These are not limited editions. They come with steel nibs. They are screw-in Bock nibs. (Yay! for screw-in!) Available with gold or rhodium hardware. Rose gold is available by special order.

They are starting to appear on vendors' web sites. I have already ordered the blue and the blue/green ones with 1.1mm stubs. Estimated shipping in about 2 weeks.

What do you think?

attachicon.gif MZ 2020 pens.jpeg

David

These are gorgeous. I thought they were using two rings on 'standard' MZs, and three rings on Grandes, but it looks like they are using three rings on standard size MZs now. Much better, IMO.

These are gorgeous. I thought they were using two rings on 'standard' MZs, and three rings on Grandes, but it looks like they are using three rings on standard size MZs now. Much better, IMO.

I have never quite been able to figure out the number of rings. At first, I thought it was the celluloids that had 3 rings as that was what was on my Hawaii and green arco. But then the red ebonite had three rings as did a couple of the special resins from Casa della Stilographica so I don't know. To confuse things more, the Maestro set was celluloid and had 2 rings. This leaves me thinking it is just "whatever looks best for a given material".

I have never quite been able to figure out the number of rings. At first, I thought it was the celluloids that had 3 rings as that was what was on my Hawaii and green arco. But then the red ebonite had three rings as did a couple of the special resins from Casa della Stilographica so I don't know. To confuse things more, the Maestro set was celluloid and had 2 rings. This leaves me thinking it is just "whatever looks best for a given material".

Well, I'm not sure there is any fixed system. I have 2 Leonardos in celluloid and one of the original "Rosewood" LE's in ebonite. All have 2 cap rings. The only 3-ringer is my ebonite Grande Art Deco. Now, I understand that the Rosewood Ebonite pens issued as a second LE of 100 after the first LE of 10 has 3 rings. That was to distinguish the two editions.

David

Hey, that is what I thought as well! I had already visited with him and when I saw my friend there, I walked over from another aisle. She was the one that showed me he had a few in differing materials. I can't remember, at the moment, if Sarj said the initial LE run was 100 or 150. Mine happens to be #62. I was so surprised about this turn of events that I didn't even think. We looked at each other, laughed, and started getting out the money!

Yeah, I'll write it up a little later in the week, get some pics done as well. It means a lot to me because Sarj does, as well. The cherry on top was that the next day *another* friend came up to me and said "my husband decided he doesn't need any work done, you can have his spot with Mike". So I had Masuyama-san put an italic on the tip and now it has elements of *two* of my fave people.

"You come for the pens, you stay for the people."

Congratulations, Jon!

I'm curious about the materials used in Sarj's Leonardos. Can you describe them? Do they come with gold or steel nibs? I'm also looking forward to your review and photos.

David

Congratulations, Jon!

I'm curious about the materials used in Sarj's Leonardos. Can you describe them? Do they come with gold or steel nibs? I'm also looking forward to your review and photos.

David

Thanks, David. I may disappoint you: I was having such a fun moment that I wasn't doing a lot of hard comparisons and investigations. My friend picked a dark ebonite pen (I think she sent me a photo) and there were about 5-6 different pens in a tray, from which I picked a blue/silver acrylic pen. I also don't know that they are advertised anywhere, more that it is something that Sarj is taking to shows? In any event, he said that the run for this was either 100 or 150 (I can't remember which) and if those go well, they may do another run in celluloids. That's really painful, because... yeah, more pens!

I *think* they all had steel nibs, and there was both silver and gp hardware. Pretty sure M's pen had gp and my blue is fitted with silver trim - not my common choice but I liked it.

Will do photos, probably tomorrow. I'll also write to Sarj once he has had time to rest up. It has been a hard few weeks for him, personally, and then the awful theft of his pens at the show. Not pleasant times, so I was happy we had that moment of cheer.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, David. I may disappoint you: I was having such a fun moment that I wasn't doing a lot of hard comparisons and investigations. My friend picked a dark ebonite pen (I think she sent me a photo) and there were about 5-6 different pens in a tray, from which I picked a blue/silver acrylic pen. I also don't know that they are advertised anywhere, more that it is something that Sarj is taking to shows? In any event, he said that the run for this was either 100 or 150 (I can't remember which) and if those go well, they may do another run in celluloids. That's really painful, because... yeah, more pens!

I *think* they all had steel nibs, and there was both silver and gp hardware. Pretty sure M's pen had gp and my blue is fitted with silver trim - not my common choice but I liked it.

Will do photos, probably tomorrow. I'll also write to Sarj once he has had time to rest up. It has been a hard few weeks for him, personally, and then the awful theft of his pens at the show. Not pleasant times, so I was happy we had that moment of cheer.

Thanks for the reply, Jon. There seems to be a current effort to manufacture resins that look a lot like some of the classic Italian celluloids. I'm all for that, since the resins are more durable and much less expensive. Yeah. They don't have that classic camphor aroma, but they are certainly good looking.

Does Marta practice in San Diego now, or is she in L.A.? I miss her Devil's Dictionary posts.

The pen case theft is a total bummer! It was nice to see Sarj with his big grin in your photo. I hope he is able to come to the San Francisco show this year. I was able to score an M800 Grande Place from him that I'd missed on the official release. I have it inked at this moment.

David