Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Would you recommend the 992 over the Lingmo Lorelei? I can get 12 992s for the price of one Lorelei and that's insane. Regardless i still would like to know if the Lorelei is a better writer overall.

Speaking like a true enabler, I say get one of each but for the Lingmo get the opaque one so there's no concern about the plug causing cracking like on the 992. That mountain stone green version is calling to me....

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cracks have arrived! Now that I know where they are I have noticed them on almost all pens that I have used so far ... some are very noticeable ... some just a little. All of them are around the circle (symbol)! .. and I thought I was lucky!

I wrote to the seller and he knows about it and said it has been discussed with Jinhao ... and seemingly issue has been fixed ... of course I am not responsible if this is not true :)

I just gave away 5 pens in last couple of days! So far none have leaked but if they do I will have to ask those i gave them to ... to throw them away.

Has anyone (who has not used it as ED) experienced leaks through these cracks? Not sure what nib size this is but maybe salvage the nib and the converter ... if it fits my serwex (that has leak from feed and nib) .. it may solve that problem!

I noticed this evening that there's a crack in at least one of the pens I bought. I don't eyedropper mine. So it doesn't seem to matter if you eyedropper them or not.

Speaking like a true enabler, I say get one of each but for the Lingmo get the opaque one so there's no concern about the plug causing cracking like on the 992. That mountain stone green version is calling to me....

The green one is absolutely beautiful. It is a richer green than the Conklin Duragraph green. which is a bit more subdued (like old money green). :unsure:

fpn_1493496088__loreleicloseup.jpg

The green one is absolutely beautiful. It is a richer green than the Conklin Duragraph green. which is a bit more subdued (like old money green). :unsure:

fpn_1493496088__loreleicloseup.jpg

:drool: Thanks for the pic!

The "Ice and Blood" one also looks nice. I don't have any green pens, so this color may get priority hehe.

The Lorelei amber yellow is also a looker! The 992s are pens I am willing to take to class, or to prepare my teaching notes. Like the 599, I use the 992 for giveaways. If one falls to the floor, or if I lose one, or experience cracks, I don't lose my 'joy'. :unsure: Like the 599 plastic, when they cracked, I pulled the nibs and set them aside. All of the nibs used in the 599 plastic pens (#5) were smoothed with 12000 micromesh, so they are nice to write with. I retrofitted the 599 metal pens with those nibs, and now I am a happy camper.

fpn_1492479133__lingmoloreleihero616pens

How does the plastic compare between the Lingmo Lorelei and the 992?

How does the plastic compare between the Lingmo Lorelei and the 992?

The LingMo Lorelei (green/red/blue/amber yellow/pink are made from turned acrylic; the demonstrators & solid color versions are made from injection molded plastic. (per Mech-for-i)

Received mine today, the clear demononstor with a fine nib. Workmanship and quality, 10/10. Filled it with Montblanc Irish Green ink, writes great 10/10, I mean really really good. Will see how durable it is, but for $1.99 shipped, a real winner.

Received mine today, the clear demononstor with a fine nib. Workmanship and quality, 10/10. Filled it with Montblanc Irish Green ink, writes great 10/10, I mean really really good. Will see how durable it is, but for $1.99 shipped, a real winner.

Got in another pair of 992's today -- one clear, one brown (though the brown is more of a reddish-brown, which is why I liked it). No obvious cracks, and I filled the brown one straightaway with Diamine Ancient Copper. A most excellent pairing, though in truth I don't go out of my way to match pen and ink. In this case, though, it's a good match not just because of the color of the pen, but also because it puts down a fairly wet line, which (for me) suits the ink well. And tomorrow, I'm expecting my 350ml bottle of Pilot Blue-black, which is likely to find its way into the clear 992. Or I may hold off on filling the clear 992 until the Massdrop from Rohrer & Klingner arrives (whenever that is).

Thanks a lot! Just ordered a pack of 6 992s for £6. Planning to grind a few of them into stubs. Hmmm i guess ill get a Lorelei as well, hoping the green one will get restocked. It's sold out on eBay haha

Jinhao 991 arrived this afternoon. The good news is that the 991 has no cracks and a better end plug design. The bad news is it's kind of ugly. Review is in the works...stayed tuned.

Edited by TruthPil

My six-pack landed at the Chicago sorting center yesterday -- woot-woot!

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Dadgum software!

Edited by DaveBj

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

Dadgum software again.

Edited by DaveBj

DaveBj

My Jinhao 992 arrived yesterday. I heated the barrel up and pushed out the plug with the thin end of a chopstick.

It's quite a tight fit and you can see a fair amount of pressure marks in the plastic. I'm going to sand down the plug till it's a sliding fit rather than an interference fit, then shellac it in (handy that the barrel is pretty much the same colour as shellac!).

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Jinhao%20992/Jinhao%20922%20barrel%20stress.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Jinhao%20992/Jinhao%20922%20barrel%20stress2.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I had six arrive yesterday, one of each transparent colour. I converted one to an eye dropper before reading about the cracks, but all mine are fine. One of the other five would not write, but post unscrewing the nib unit, removing the nib, and soaking separately, they all work well. The five spare will be handed out as crack cocaine pens to new FP users.

http://i.imgur.com/iWKD1Rq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rANc3mc.jpg

Jinhao 991 arrived this afternoon. The good news is that the 991 has no cracks and a better end plug design. The bad news is it's kind of ugly. Review is in the works...stayed tuned.

waiting for it

It's all Greek to me...