Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Last night I ordered a demonstrator 6 pack before I finished reading the thread. Cracking. Sigh. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I had hoped to eyedropper them, but a converter is far from the end of the world.

Yet another Sarah.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Continuing on the experience of 'cracks' ... I still don't see any (used a magnifying glass).

- I usually don't post pens and the 992 even when I post it is pretty loose I don't force it in.

- I bought all 21 on eBay from JewelryMathematics seller ... could be those who experienced the issue buy it from some other sellers? Meaning, possibly counterfeit!

- Also not used any as eyedropper

on the topic of cartridges

- if standard international don't fit ... I guess I will have to give this away at work only to those who I know have ink bottles OR buy Jinhao cartridges, which from some preliminary search seen only in blue and black .. but not other colors.

I like this pen so much that I may end up buying the non-demo ones if the cracks show up on my pens.

I double checked all 6 of mine worth loupe. No cracks. Wonder if it rough shipping, clones, vendor issues, or poor quality control. We'll just have to see how this all shakes out. It's a nice pen, hope they get it sorted out.

This is where I bought mine:

http://myworld.ebay.com/hejing1314

I double checked all 6 of mine worth loupe. No cracks. Wonder if it rough shipping, clones, vendor issues, or poor quality control. We'll just have to see how this all shakes out. It's a nice pen, hope they get it sorted out.

This is where I bought mine:

http://myworld.ebay.com/hejing1314

Where I got mine too, so don't think we can point the finger at the vendor.

Where I got mine too, so don't think we can point the finger at the vendor.

agreed but let's say if no one, who bought from JewelryMathematics (absolutely no affiliation), had any cracks experience there is a chance that the batch they got was ok. In any case Jinhao does need to fix the issue.

They just need renaming. "cracked ice demonstrator" sounds quite nice.

I like it haha...ordering one myself too and will let y'all know

"And this is He whom I call the Child of the Good, whom the Good begat in His own likeness, to be in the visible world, in relation to sight and the things of sight, what the Good is in the intellectual world in relation to mind and the things of mind."
Plato, The Republic, Book Six

...By boat. By slow boat. By very slow boat...

Yes, me too. I bought mine on April 24th. and they arrived today. I'm glad I'm on vacation this week; it'll give me a chance to play with them. :D

I checked one blue one and didn't see any cracks, but I still have 14 more to check. :lol:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I've had 12+ from Jewelrymathematics and no problems.

It has to be said he packages them so well it would be very difficult for them to be damaged in transit.

I had a good look at one or two and the material used by Jinhao is quite rigid and consequently feels a little brittle so maybe, some of the cracks are the result of over zealous tightening in the assembly process?

Al

Since I first wrote this review a month and a half ago, my opaque version has seen a lot of use and for some reason hasn't managed to get out of my rotation. The small cracks near the plug haven't grown at all, so I'm just making sure not to post the pen too tightly. I must say that I enjoy using this pen every time I pick it up. I have hands on the smaller end of medium size and this pen is a perfect fit for me.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Since I first wrote this review a month and a half ago, my opaque version has seen a lot of use and for some reason hasn't managed to get out of my rotation. The small cracks near the plug haven't grown at all, so I'm just making sure not to post the pen too tightly. I must say that I enjoy using this pen every time I pick it up. I have hands on the smaller end of medium size and this pen is a perfect fit for me.

Hello TruthPil,

I don't think posting is the problem, because when you post this pen; the pressure point is almost halfway up the barrel... the area where the cracks are developing is at the plug area at the base of the barrel and that area is in open space when the cap is posted and shouldn't be under any pressure.

I think the cracks are being started at the factory when those plugs are inserted; not by anything we're doing.

WE'RE INNOCENT!! I TELL YA!! :rolleyes:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

It's been over 3 weeks that I received the 1st order of 2 pens and I still have not detected any cracks around the plug. I don't post my pens. I guess I've been lucky. I did receive the 2nd order of 2 pens last Friday and 1 was damaged in the shipping. :yikes: I did not find any cracks on those as well. The seller immediately refunded the cost of the damaged pen but the damage was not at the plug. The top of the cap snapped off. I got out the crazy glue and so far so good. :unsure: I eye-dropped the 1st two and 1 did develop a slight leak do to me not gluing the plug sufficiently. :headsmack: These pens really are a pleasure to write with. Do I trust them enough to clip them to a expensive dress shirt? Nope. I pouch them like the others. Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Hello all,

A few hand-written comments using these pens, (well, two of the 15)...

http://i.imgur.com/AhTSPXz.png

http://i.imgur.com/figA0HI.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q4u2LdT.png

I lucked out, mine were shipped in the dealer case instead of loose.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

On May 2, entry 82, I reported the same crack in the cap as Grainweevil. Mine is also the coffee transparent. Ordered from Hejing1314. So it isn't an issue of the plug only. It isn't just the demonstrators either as my solid green has cracks near the plug and others have also reported cracks in the solid colors.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Hello all,

A few hand-written comments using these pens, (well, two of the 15)...

http://i.imgur.com/AhTSPXz.png

http://i.imgur.com/figA0HI.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q4u2LdT.png

I lucked out, mine were shipped in the dealer case instead of loose.

- Anthony

Thanks for the photos and also the tip about signatures. It does sounds like we've got some quality control issues going on. Yours were dry and mine was nice and juicy right out of the box. Let's hope that future batches solve some of the issues.

On May 2, entry 82, I reported the same crack in the cap as Grainweevil. Mine is also the coffee transparent. Ordered from Hejing1314. So it isn't an issue of the plug only. It isn't just the demonstrators either as my solid green has cracks near the plug and others have also reported cracks in the solid colors.

Thanks for the additional information. It prompted me to look more closely.

I just looked over the whole pen with a loupe and noticed there are lots of extremely tiny stress fractures in the barrel and one larger hairline near the clip on the cap. My pen also has some tiny discolorations caused by sudden gouges that must have been made either during production or shipment (my pen has never been dropped my be and only sits inside a leather planner, so there's no way it got gouges on my watch). My theory is that it's a combination of two things: brittle plastic and harsh treatment somewhere in the manufacturing process.

I ordered 3 demonstrators to play with. Minor cracks won't be in issue, since I'll not eyedropper them. Cheap pens that can spread ink around bring me delight. :)

Who has a brass Kaweco knock-off? I'm interested in that.

JLJ

I ordered 3 demonstrators to play with. Minor cracks won't be in issue, since I'll not eyedropper them. Cheap pens that can spread ink around bring me delight. :)

Who has a brass Kaweco knock-off? I'm interested in that.

JLJ

Bring you Delight ... strangely enough, here is a recent review by gmcalabr of the DeLite brass knock-off written and illustrated by this talented reader who has managed to remove the tacky transparent but shiny coating from the brass, and remove the (now get this) name "War and Peace" from the cap as well.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318163-delike-alpha-kaweco-brass-sport-clone-modifications-and-review/?p=3776994

I bought one just for fun on DeLite's ebay site. for $16.00 including shipping.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/s-l1600_zpsg1pmabxx.jpg

Alas, mine looks exactly like this. And it weighs a ton. Remember in basic training when you were given the order "Clean up your brass"? This may be where it went. From a shell to a pen. Is that you revolving, Ваше Сиятельство Tolstoy?

Alas, mine looks exactly like this. And it weighs a ton. Remember in basic training when you were given the order "Clean up your brass"? This may be where it went. From a shell to a pen. Is that you revolving, Ваше Сиятельство Tolstoy?

Hahaha... I have fond memories of cleaning up brass at my first job when a teenager.

One of the things that drives me nuts about so many Chinese pens is their weight. I appreciate the sturdiness and all, but I don't need my pen to also function as a paperweight or self-defense weapon. It was the lightness and feel that made me really like the 992.

Would you recommend the 992 over the Lingmo Lorelei? I can get 12 992s for the price of one Lorelei and that's insane. Regardless i still would like to know if the Lorelei is a better writer overall.

Would you recommend the 992 over the Lingmo Lorelei? I can get 12 992s for the price of one Lorelei and that's insane. Regardless i still would like to know if the Lorelei is a better writer overall.

Between the Loreleis with the barrel plug & the 992s. I would say go with whichever you prefer the looks of more wrt clip (Sailor vs Montblanc style), nib decoration, body color, converter (Sailor vs, theoretically, int standard compatibility). Both are smooth writers when properly aligned. Something to note though, is that the Lorelei has solid barrels on opaque models.