• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

how is

the shipping status on these going

Mine only took 19 days to arrive after ordering but I was among the first few. Remember these have to be handmade to order and I imagine due to the success of the group's there may be quite a backlog to clear. When shipped you'll receive a pm from mpkandan with tracking number. I've always found India post to be very quick and efficient (I.e less than two weeks, detailed tracking). It'll be worth the wait!

The shipping of the others have just started yesterday,.,..

It is being done in parts... with 5 to 6 pens per day...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

My pen was confirmed as shipped about a week ago via PM. I was given a tracking number. The tracking says it is apparently still in India and it hasn't been updated in 5 days but hey, the pen is on its way to me!

By the way with tracking information, is the tracking only within India? Once it gets to it its overseas destination does the tracking continue in the overseas postoffice?

Edit: A question out of curiosity. How many pens were purchased in this group buy? The list when last updated was quite impressive but more people have ordered since then.

Edited by Ayami_109

i have two recent experiences with shipping a pen from India to southern california. Tracking information on both was available. But, once the package left India and apparently was handed over to USPS - there were no more updates.

I even tried to use the "Deliveries" iPhone app which works well for USPS, FEDEX, and UPS here in the US, but does not pick up or transfer other countries tracking to the US in my experience. In all it took about 3 weeks for a tracked package to arrive in my mail box after being shipped from India.

YMMV

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

i have two recent experiences with shipping a pen from India to southern california. Tracking information on both was available. But, once the package left India and apparently was handed over to USPS - there were no more updates.

I even tried to use the "Deliveries" iPhone app which works well for USPS, FEDEX, and UPS here in the US, but does not pick up or transfer other countries tracking to the US in my experience. In all it took about 3 weeks for a tracked package to arrive in my mail box after being shipped from India.

YMMV

I believe that USPS no longer makes Indian registered mail available for tracking because Indiapost did not upgrade to some specific type of software.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I believe that USPS no longer makes Indian registered mail available for tracking because Indiapost did not upgrade to some specific type of software.

Oh is that so... Quite intresting..

India post has just become quite profitable and has been given lot of push over private operators by government here..

Lot of mobile apps have also been launched..

Just Want to know what kind of software is that

vaibhav mehandiratta

Dear All,

Shipping Update: About 50% of the orders have been delivered on last week. The rest of the orders will be shipped by this coming week. I will send the tracking numbers in next 3-4 days.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Mr. Kandan,

That is great news. We appreciate the shipping update.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Oh is that so... Quite intresting..

India post has just become quite profitable and has been given lot of push over private operators by government here..

Lot of mobile apps have also been launched..

Just Want to know what kind of software is that

There is a list that India is not on of Countries which provide tracking info. This is what USPS says:

Why can’t I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each country’s ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Is there anything the Postal Service can do to encourage other countries to provide scanning information?

Yes, and we are doing it. The Postal Service participates with groups of international postal operators to share tracking and delivery information for registered items. By doing this, we hope this will motivate other foreign, postal operators to join so that tracking and delivery information will eventually be available to and from every country.

I believe I read it on USPS, but all I could find was this in FAQ:

Why can’t I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each country’s ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Is there anything the Postal Service can do to encourage other countries to provide scanning information?

Yes, and we are doing it. The Postal Service participates with groups of international postal operators to share tracking and delivery information for registered items. By doing this, we hope this will motivate other foreign, postal operators to join so that tracking and delivery information will eventually be available to and from every country.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

There is a list that India is not on of Countries which provide tracking info. This is what USPS says:

Why cant I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each countrys ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

I believe I read it on USPS, but all I could find was this in FAQ:

Why cant I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each countrys ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Wow

Thank you for the detailed information

vaibhav mehandiratta

Hi everyone, my pen arrived today! I wold like to thank Mehandiratta, Mr Kandan and Mr Panduragan for making this groupbuy possible. This is my first Ranga pen and I am impressed!

Shipping: 12 days from India to Australia from when the post office received the package. Shipping via India Air, tracking included. Note that tracking was only available in India in my case. The tracking status was updated regularly before it left the country. When I put the tracking number into Australia Post website it was not trackable, but it was recognized as a valid number. I dont know if full tracking is possible in other countries. Shipping was free for this pen, thanks Ranga! I received a PM from Ranga with my tracking number when my pen was shipped. To members who are waiting, looking out for a PM.

Unboxing:The postman delivered a hand sewn cloth package that contained a box wrapped with newspaper. I took my time to undo the wrapping since it was packaged with such care. I even read the newspaper wrapping! (For those wondering it was half a page from The Times of India, Chennai edition) Inside the newspaper wrapping was a red, faux croc leather box with snap-close button lid. The inside was branded with "Ranga Handmade Pens". A glossy business card was included.

post-100019-0-64857500-1466574539_thumb.jpg

The pen I received is exactly what I ordered: Clipless Model 8 eyedropper version with Ambitious fine nib upgrade. I also received extra, which was wonderfully generous: A plastic eyedropper pipette, an extra Watily nib & feed set, and a bonus Fellowship 505FT eyedropper fountain pen.

post-100019-0-81766200-1466574565_thumb.jpg

The pen itself is superbly crafted. It's handmade, but the precision is equal to a CNC lathed pen. The shine and smoothness of the finish on the ebonite is impressive. It is glossy, and polished brighter when compared to my ebonite pen from Edison. The pen is unbranded, something I really appreciate. It means I can appreciate the beauty of the material with no distractions.

post-100019-0-99551600-1466575617_thumb.jpg

I chose the Indian ebonite in mottled green. I would describe the green as an Army Green; it is understated and medium dark but still a heavy contrast against the black. The mixing of the two colours remind me of marble. I tried to capture the colour accurately here in the pictures. This is in sunlight from a window. In just indoor lighting it is darker, closer to the top picture of the pen in the box

There are very minor imperfections in the ebonite, a reflection of the material and no fault of workmanship. In fact you need to look for them to notice it: two tiny yellow dots to be exact, not something to fuss over at all. I'm just nit picky. To be honest I had resevations about Indian ebonite before I ordered this pen, due to a mediocre experience with a Noodlers ebonite pen which had obvious pockmarks and toolmarks. However I must say the two are incomparable. Ranga is by far 100% superior and at the price I paid is value for money due to the workmanship, service etc. I will go as far to say that my Ranga pen is almost faultless. To anyone who is erring (and I erred for over a year), this is a positive message from a very happy customer.

post-100019-0-92451100-1466575667_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the pen uncapped. The pen is fitted with an Ambitious nib. Haven't tested it out yet, but I chose it because I have read some excellent reviews that compare it favourably again the standard German nibs we are all accustomed to. Obviously there is the option to upgrade to a German Bock or Jowo nib but this was an opportunity to try something new. The only amusing thing is that the extra Watily nib is better polished than the upgraded Ambitious nib, which is full of microscratches. I'm sure it won't affect the writing experience, it's just something I noticed. The Ambitious nib is also not branded.

You may notice the grip second is different. Mr Panduragan kindly customized it for me when i mentioned a preference for thicker sections. I was sent a courteous PM asking how I needed it customized. I asked for a straight section instead of the original hourglass and was not made to feel like a hassle at all. Now this is customer service!

post-100019-0-97666500-1466578347_thumb.jpg

Notice the little hole in the cap. I was super confused at first, but I realized it must be because the pen I ordered is an eyedropper. I suspect it's there to regulate air pressure to prevent burping. Whether or not the little hole will cause the ink to evaporate quicker...time will tell! It's only 1mm wide so the effect is probably minimal.

post-100019-0-80345700-1466578922_thumb.jpg

Here is the pen disassembled. I decided to take this picture because I was super curious what the internal mechanics of an eyedropper only pen would be like and couldn't find any pictures, so here! Please note that the vivid green you see here is not an accurate representation of the colour, it's simply an effect of having the camera flash on. For those who chose ebonite colors based on the pictures at the start of this thread and ended up with something different than expected, that's probably why. It's not Ranga trying to be deceptive or anything. Also with differimg screen colour calibration, etc, it's incredibly hard to accurately capture and convey the colour.

I would also like to mention the threads. They were hand chaised (cut) on the lathe with special tools. If you want to see the process in action, member Hari made a video of the pen making process when visiting Ranga. The threads are precise and smooth. It is pre-greased with a geneous layer of silicone, ready for inking up. I will still give the pen a customary rinse before i use it, that's just me.

post-100019-0-99788400-1466579374_thumb.jpg

Finally here is the freebie Fellowship 505FT pen. It's a transparent, colourless demonstrator intended for eyedropper use. The trimmings and barrel branding are golden. I already like this pen. Thank you Ranga Pens for this gift. It was unexpected and generous.

That's it for this review. Thank you again to everyone who made this group buy possible. I look forward to future group buys already!

Edited by Ayami_109

Great review and pictures. This is exactly what made me a fan of Ranga pens. And yes to more group buys for sure :)

:P what you think of me is none of my business ;)

I am excited and awaiting patiently. I hope to do a video review or atleast on my blog. The pens looks great.

Thanks for the kind words, i hope that everyone will also post pictures of their pens. Curious to see what colours/finishes were chosen

Thanks for the kind words, i hope that everyone will also post pictures of their pens. Curious to see what colours/finishes were chosen

You have posted a nice detailed review. Thanks for sharing. Many have already posted pictures of their pens including myself Here is link

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307833-group-buy-ranga-model-8-regular-ebonite-premium-ebonite/page-8

I was #36 on the list, and I'm still waiting. I am trusting that my beautiful Ranga pen will show up very, very, very SOON! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Update: BUT not today :(

Edited by Helen350