What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Not an impulse really but a replacement Ranga 3C that arrived today.  I liked my last one but I didn't get on with an eyedropper so I got rid of it and knew I would eventually replace it.  Unfortunately the same color wasn't available but I like this one as well.  I believe my modest collection is complete unless something special comes up.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I don't believe I've ever seen one of these!

I've never seen one in the flesh, but have seen pictures of them.

this pic is lifted from the auction

s-l1600.jpg

David-

So many restoration projects...

18 minutes ago, awa54 said:

I've never seen one in the flesh, but have seen pictures of them.

this pic is lifted from the auction

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like it would be a great gift for a person interested in astronomy or a handyman-type! Neat!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

5 hours ago, Tas said:

Ooo, please share your EF nib findings. My M nib is so smooth and juicy I'm reluctant to risk swapping it out.

Santa just fell off his sleigh. They blamed a site error on stock levels and put it on backorder, so I responded with a cancellation. I've experienced that suppliers backorder before and know it would take months rather than weeks... :crybaby:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

14 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Santa just fell off his sleigh. They blamed a site error on stock levels and put it on backorder,

That sucks! Sorry to hear that.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

56 minutes ago, jchch1950 said:

Platinum Curidas.

Curidas and curidaser!

For FPD 2021, I've just organised to return a new (HongDian N1) pen for refund. Even though it's sold on condition of “Free return: Return for any reason within 15 days”, I was still asked by the seller (in private message) for a reason, after the marketplace platform has already automatically approved it. That was fair enough, and I gave a (true) reason courteously and promptly; but I didn't appreciate the seller then pretending to be magnanimous and agreeing to refund, as if he/she had a choice (that wouldn't be overridden by the system if it didn't align with policy). I gave an answer to inform, and not in the spirit of negotiation or consultation when neither is required (or warranted).

But I did tell the seller I (truly) intend to be buying more pens from him/her shortly; and the refund will help replenish the budget for those imminent purchases.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just took advantage of Appleboom's Fountain Pen Day discount to order an Opus 88 Bela Red and Omar in purple, both being on my watch list for a while.  Also added three R&K Document inks and some Traveler's refills.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Still irritated by my earlier Fountain Pen Day purchase being scuttled by a fibbing stock count, I was standing at the sink cleaning out the last of my Lamy Safari pens to put away for the summer and had a moment of inspiration...

A Lamy Studio All Black has been ordered from a different store using their FPD discount. It will be my first next tier Lamy and, hopefully, one that I won't need to clean out for the dry months of the year.

Fingers crossed.

20 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

It will be my first next tier Lamy and, hopefully, one that I won't need to clean out for the dry months of the year.

Hmmm.

Good luck! :)

7 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Hmmm.

Uh oh. That doesn't sound encouraging. I was under the impression you thought the Lamy Studio All Black was good. :unsure:

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

That doesn't sound encouraging. I was under the impression you thought the Lamy Studio All Black was good. :unsure:

I love using the Lamy SLAB so much, I bought a spare just in case mine gets broken or lost! But I can't vouch for a very effective cap seal; it isn't bad, certainly (in my experience) better than a Lamy Safari, but nowhere near as good as a gold-nibbed Pilot Custom or Sailor Profit, or a Pelikan M20x for that matter. Especially given that I'm apt to fill it with a Sailor pigment ink, it isn't a pen that I'd want to leave untouched for weeks waiting to serve at my pleasure occasionally.

You're one of very few people whose requirement for cap seal effectiveness is at least as stringent as my own if not more so.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

You're one of very few people whose requirement for cap seal effectiveness is at least as stringent as my own if not more so.

Count me in. A pen that doesn't seal well is a useless ink stick in my book. Nothing makes me more irritable and I get rid of any pens that are poorly designed or implemented in this regard. Nibs and filling systems can be tweaked but there is precious little you can do to fix a pen that dries out from poor manufacture/design.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

1 hour ago, JonSzanto said:

Count me in. A pen that doesn't seal well is a useless ink stick in my book. Nothing makes me more irritable and I get rid of any pens that are poorly designed or implemented in this regard. Nibs and filling systems can be tweaked but there is precious little you can do to fix a pen that dries out from poor manufacture/design.

In that case, I would not recommend a Stilform pen.  It uses magnetic attraction to keep the slip-fit cap in place.  It is not air tight, and the pen will nib will dry out if the pen isn't used for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

In that case...

Thanks, it was just a general comment and not regarding any particular pen. I pretty much know what to look for!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Been trying to not buy anything recently (last was the M120 Iconic Blue a couple(?) months back from Goldspot), in the event the Black Tortoise is more than just a rumor, but broke down today and ordered an Aurora Ferrari from Valentina in Gunmetal and Gold with red lacquer accents.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, Tas said:

Enjoy the Taccia 😊
fpn_taccia_covenant_midnight_breeze.thumb.jpeg.e5c9e2f9fd396b061109d935f0c43fd6.jpeg

The Taccia is a surprisingly nice writer.  It's a medium and I would have much preferred a broad though.  But this was a used (clearly very lightly) pen.   Love the unusual design which was what brought on the impulse in the first place.  :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I was bored Saturday afternoon and rushed into the not so local stores that sell FPs and came away with this ….

E6A5B2A0-959A-44AF-9929-A737729738C4.jpeg

It joins the cousins.

Through a combination of no will power/early Xmas gifts, I ordered an Optima 366 Yellow and an Optima Mini Bordeaux to go with the Ferrari. That's it for the year now, I swear.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.