What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

16 hours ago, maclink said:

I saw the Kaweco Al Special and ordered one on genuine impulse since I'd never seen the pen before.  The faceted barrel and cap with no clip all made it a quick decision.

1397534332_KW23216-ZZZKaweco-Aluminium-Special-Fountain-Pen-Matt-Black_P1.jpg.ceee02731c293f389fe18853946254cb.jpg

If it's anything like the Elegance you're in for a treat. I adore mine. Superb pen to hold and use with a subtly expressive nib.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Tas said:

If it's anything like the Elegance you're in for a treat. I adore mine. Superb pen to hold and use with a subtly expressive nib.

The elegance has a larger, #6 nib. However, Kaweco has a new line of premium stainless nibs for their sport and lilliput line. Looks like they put a little extra time and effort in tuning the nib.  I’ll be trying one of those. 

It makes me wonder where their gold nibs fall into this new line. Are we to assume the gold nibs get a premium tune-up? 

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

Another Schon DSGN Pocket Six, this time with a 1.5 mm stub, in the new Redshift color.

I've just been looking at those - that looks like a gorgeous new colourway :)

Very, very impulsively I'm getting a Pilot Custom 74 Turquoise Green which will be  going under the Christmas tree.

And that's  it for me for the year - a mini moratorium has been promised here - a custom Kaweco Perkeo, two Sailor Shikiori and a Lamy Studio (all steel nibs!) in less than six months is... umm... retail therapy. :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Very, very impulsively I'm getting a Pilot Custom 74 Turquoise Green which will be  going under the Christmas tree.

And there I was, going to offer you the opportunity to get a Platinum #3776 Century (gold-trimmed PNB-13000, recently ‘replaced’ with just a new model number PNB-15000 to reflect Platinum HQ's price increases) in the colourway and with the nib width of your choice, for a good effective price, since/after I spent a week playing some stupid Money Hop game on AliExpress (with lots of frustration and swearing, as my wife would attest) scoring just enough points for a US$10 discount! 😡😵

So I blame you for my deciding to get a Platinum #3776 Century Laurel Green with gold trim and an EF nib. The seller discounted its ‘list price’ for the model for the 11.11 sale, and on top of that the item is eligible for an up-to-10%-off discount on the part of AliExpress, and on top of that I applied the US$10 discount coupon that I ‘earned’ in the game. I already have a #3776 Century with a UEF nib, and another with a SF nib, but I don't have an EF nib on a pen in Platinum's core product line (cf. Sailor Profit, Pilot Custom). 😜

Now that aspect in my Japanese pen ‘collection’ is complete.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

25 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Now that aspect in my Japanese pen ‘collection’ is complete

You're welcome. :D

Edit to add: That made me look at my 3776 collection and find a similar gap which may lead to temptation some day: UEF, F, SF and B.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

A TWSBI Eco in Lilac. I was online shopping for my brother’s birthday. He wanted an Eco with transparent blue. I saw the Lilac one, and thought Christmas gift. Add to cart, check out, done. 

Posted Image

Ya'll, I bought myself a Maserati! 😁

large.376946650_Maseratinewpen.jpg.2da39cd0ffb97107f1725e8b0f48fd74.jpg

I figured it was probably the closest I would ever get to actually owning one, so how could I resist?

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, Bikerchick said:

I'm sorry for the loss of your parents, Diego. I do hope that the day will come that picking up your pens will remind you of them but it will bring a smile to your face, not a tear to your eye. 

As far as your darling wife is concerned, next time she buys a purse, you ask her, "you already have several purses. Why do you need more?" Also works for shoes, scarves, hats, jackets, jewelry, etc. ;) 

My wife, alas, is an uncommonly sensible human being who hasn't bought a new pair of shoes, a scarf, or a purse in years. I don't recall her buying a purse in the 20 years we've been married. But she did admit that she'd like that Viceroy Victorian, so I'm hoping that's the Trojan horse that will infect her with the pen habit.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:21 PM, AmandaW said:

I do believe your wife requires a pen catalogue from which to choose an ink, or two, to go with her beautiful pen. :D

I'm with you on that. I caught her browsing through the Fahrney's catalog I left on the kitchen table. I'll see if I can't get my hands on a couple of others.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:03 AM, james3paris said:

Impulse buy....Sailor King of Pen....

large.IMG_7087.JPG.632a2714b4c0491d2d66fa7049f00b9c.JPGlarge.IMG_7088.JPG.8b32a3935cacf9a85c8f8fb3394167f1.JPGlarge.Sakura_nagare.jpg.7ad045bdaad22dbcf42633baa8824a51.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I have bought a Waterman Expert Metallic Fountain Pen Rose Gold a few days ago,  fine nib. Should receive it in the beginning of next week!

On 11/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, ParramattaPaul said:

I ordered one with an extra broad nib for something different to try.

I keep ordering pens with different types of nibs, and I think I only like 1/5 on average; at least I can send them off to Mark Bacas if they are unsuitable!

That said, although my favorite pens tend to fall within a very specific nib range, I find other sizes are more suitable for different tasks.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

12 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I keep ordering pens with different types of nibs, and I think I only like 1/5 on average; at least I can send them off to Mark Bacas if they are unsuitable!

That said, although my favorite pens tend to fall within a very specific nib range, I find other sizes are more suitable for different tasks.

may have one or two vintage pens with a fine nib. While my handwriting is smallish, using a nib that produces a thicker line 'writes' better for me. A thicker line is more aesthetically pleasing to me as well.  With that, the majority of my pens are have medium or broad nibs.  Every pen I've purchased over the last two years has a broad nib.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, DvdRiet said:

Ya'll, I bought myself a Maserati! 😁

large.376946650_Maseratinewpen.jpg.2da39cd0ffb97107f1725e8b0f48fd74.jpg

I figured it was probably the closest I would ever get to actually owning one, so how could I resist?

Looks good! I have a vague idea what might be your next one, but I won't give you away... ;)

7 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

may have one or two vintage pens with a fine nib. While my handwriting is smallish, using a nib that produces a thicker line 'writes' better for me. A thicker line is more aesthetically pleasing to me as well.  With that, the majority of my pens are have medium or broad nibs.  Every pen I've purchased over the last two years has a broad nib.

I've been through the broad phase too!... I have however discovered that I do like fine nibs, but they have to be flexible...

The very fine very stiff nibs are a pain for me...

19 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I have the opposite inclination; I prefer smaller nibs, but keep trying out various broader ones as anything with shimmer would clog up my narrow nibs, and I like having a bit of shine on occasion.  I also tend to write quickly and the broad nibs lay down much more ink that takes longer to dry.  Meanwhile, my daily writers continue to fall in the EF/F/MF categories.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

Looks good! I have a vague idea what might be your next one, but I won't give you away... ;)

Haha! If/when/if/when/if/when/when I get it, I'll be sure to post it here!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.