What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

2 hours ago, sansenri said:

I've been through the broad phase too!... I have however discovered that I do like fine nibs, but they have to be flexible...

The very fine very stiff nibs are a pain for me...

Part of my preference for medium and broad nibs is that fine nibs, especially stiff ones, tend to dig into the page as I write since I'm left-handed, and we lefties push instead of pull through most of our pen strokes.

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I have the opposite inclination; I prefer smaller nibs, but keep trying out various broader ones as anything with shimmer would clog up my narrow nibs, and I like having a bit of shine on occasion.  I also tend to write quickly and the broad nibs lay down much more ink that takes longer to dry.  Meanwhile, my daily writers continue to fall in the EF/F/MF categories.

Having the opposite inclination is why we have so many choices, and choice is a good thing. 

You bring up another reason I prefer broad nibs.  Clogged nibs is a rarer annoyance.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Haha! If/when/if/when/if/when/when I get it, I'll be sure to post it here!

Sheaffer Icon Matte Black with a fine nib from Appelboom in Boston.

No affiliation...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

8 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Sheaffer Icon Matte Black with a fine nib from Appelboom in Boston.

No affiliation...

Nice racing stripes! 😃 But no, I may be going riding next time, something with stirrups, and much more classical. Have to get used to driving the Maserati before I get another race car! 

Pretty cool pen though! Did you get yourself one yet, as your own impulsive buy? 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

That is a gorgeous pen @Noihvo!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

5 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Nice racing stripes! 😃 But no, I may be going riding next time, something with stirrups, and much more classical. Have to get used to driving the Maserati before I get another race car! 

Pretty cool pen though! Did you get yourself one yet, as your own impulsive buy? 

I ordered one from Appelboom in Boston on Saturday morning.

Previously, on FP Day, I ordered a Golden Beryl pen, two bottles of the special ink, some fine Pelikan RB refills for my RB200 and an M400 14K fine nib (or maybe EF, as I forget exactly). They contacted me to say that the nib was back ordered and they were unsure as to when it might available.

As I had been wanting the Icon and did not see it listed on FP Day, when I saw that it was available I called and asked if they would include it (along with the 20% discount for the Day) and send what they have immediately. I am waiting for confirmation, probably tomorrow, Monday.

I don't mind waiting for the nib and would really like to get the rest of the order asap.

I was impressed with the people with whom I spoke at the Boston store and look forward to actually going in to the store for more goodies.

Again, no affiliation...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

5 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

That is a gorgeous pen @Noihvo!

Thank you.

I have several Taranis (or is that "Tarani") and really enjoy them when I actually use them. The almost frankenpen style of the Icon looks quite good to me. As I am getting the 20% discount from FP Day the pricing is excellent too.

At the Ohio Pen Show this past weekend I ended up buying FIVE (two on Friday and 3 on Sunday morning.

First two were a couple of cheapie Pelikan pens (not sure if they're Pelikanos or another model); one has a red and yellow background with oriental writing in black, and the other has images of famous landmarks (Big Ben, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the Eiffel Tower) as well as flags of the respective countries -- 

Then on Sunday, I picked up a Pelikan M205 Blue Marble, and a couple of ringtops.  One was a no-name with a mauve color barrel and cap (the seller said the material was "Vulcanite", and that the pen has been restored) and the other was this cute little Good Service [Sears & Roebuck house brand) mini-ringtop which may need to have a new sac installed.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

First two were a couple of cheapie Pelikan pens (not sure if they're Pelikanos or another model); one has a red and yellow background with oriental writing in black, and the other has images of famous landmarks (Big Ben, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the Eiffel Tower) as well as flags of the respective countries -- 

The first one sounds like a P22 Chinatown:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Cartridge-filler/Youngsters/index.html

1 hour ago, Noihvo said:

large.IMG_7094.JPG.310087283f9e43b118f22dc294a8412d.JPG

You have more willpower than I do! I caved today and bought the pen that @sansenrialluded to above. (I think that still think it counts as an impulse buy!)

I went and ordered a Sheaffer Icon based on someone's rambling about it on here. Not sure why, I sure don't need it, but I wanted to get a first-hand look at it, all the strong positive reviews have me wondering. 

Looks like I am about to buy a wood pen from Matthieu Faivet in France, although I haven't pulled the actual trigger yet. 

I have ordered (but not paid for) a Fantasy Snorkel demonstrator. They were out of stock on the clear demonstrator bodies, so I have to wait a few weeks for more to be made. That's okay with me, then the expense will show up on next month's ccard statement instead of this month's. Not exactly an impulsive purchase except for timing -- it's been on my list for several months but I kept putting it off until now. 

I punched the button on this four-pen lot, mostly sparked by the demi striped Duofold which looks to be in nice condition. All in for less than $50.

4_pen_lot_211116.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

On 11/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, ParramattaPaul said:

Not my last, but possibly my next acquisition may be another Conway Stewart Churchill. 

One cannot have too many Conways -- Onotos for that matter. 

Where do you get those? Isn’t Conway Stewart defunct?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

On 11/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, brokenclay said:

Yeah, they turned out to both be P22s but I couldn't find a name for that one.  The other one was labeled as a P22 "International 4".  I did a search for "MOOVIE" last night and found that same site (I had remembered a recent thread about similar pens, like the "International 4", and sure enough I found BOTH pens, but the one did not have a specific color/model name).  So thanks for that additional information (I honestly did not know if the writing was Chinese or Japanese).  The site even explains that there was a re-design at one point, and that's why the clips on the two pens were different.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I ordered and paid for a Lamy Studio. They sent me a Safari in a Studio box. :(

Edit to add - they replied to my email with a Refund Notification.  So disappointed.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

4 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I ordered and paid for a Lamy Studio. They sent me a Safari in a Studio box. :(

Edit to add - they replied to my email with a Refund Notification.  So disappointed.

Who did that? You can respond with a PM if you prefer not to make it public.

At present I am interacting with a vendor about a Fountain Pen Day order that is taking considerably more time and energy than it should. Depending on how it works out I may or may not report the details here.

In fact, I made two purchases on FPD. The less expensive one, under $65.00 was received four days later. Meanwhile, the $250+ order is still pending - waiting for stock (which I understand - supply chain issues) and verification of what I was told when I placed an additional order, the next day, and was told that yes I could receive the FPD discount for that item too.

PM sent.

Anyway I got another email - they said to keep the Safari. I've given it away (cos I already have one in the same colour), but it didn't even have a cartridge in it! Do you reckon Lamy Petrol in a Charcoal Safari is alluring enough to drag a newbie into the rabbit warren?

This was my second Fountain Pen Day purchase gone belly up too. The first was confirmed by the vendor, then put on back-order. I cancelled because I've suffered through their many months back-orders before and with Christmas involved didn't want to wait. So I waited for the refund and ordered the Lamy Studio elsewhere.

:gaah:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Auroras update:

The Ferrari is still in the sorting center in Italy, according to Italy Post tracking.

The Yellow Optima reached Los Angeles today, may get it by the week-end if I'm lucky.

The Bordeaux Mini is supposed to be delivered today. It was stuck in Customs in New Jersey over the

week-end, needed the non-dangerous material certificate resubmitted and a statement from me that

the shipper was authorized to act on my behalf; first time I've experienced this.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

2 hours ago, chromantic said:

Auroras update:

The Ferrari is still in the sorting center in Italy, according to Italy Post tracking.

The Yellow Optima reached Los Angeles today, may get it by the week-end if I'm lucky.

The Bordeaux Mini is supposed to be delivered today. It was stuck in Customs in New Jersey over the

week-end, needed the non-dangerous material certificate resubmitted and a statement from me that

the shipper was authorized to act on my behalf; first time I've experienced this.

I'm dealing with my own two versions of shipping torture.  One is a pen that for some reason is taking longer than the normal week from order date to delivery.  The other is a fly tying vice that I ordered in mid-October that is 'somewhere' with 'somewhere' being a vast unknown that one assumes includes a real existence.