Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

I have mine inked up, but as you can see in the picture, the nib and feed are inserted into a black collar in the section - so if there were staining - I'd never see it. Nothing stains on the outside.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the collar in the photo. It ends up that all these have the same black collar. Can it be unscrewed and other nib units screwed in?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My white flecked Selmy arrived today. I'll post some pics when the weather is better.
The acrylic is nice and extremely light. Considering the size of the pen, I was surprised at how light it feels even when posted.
Where they cheaped out, however, was on the nib. I think they just have a random collection of nibs sorted by width and then stick whatever size you order. I was expecting a Selmy branded nib like in the photos, but went for the Medium nib and got some generic piece of metal that says "Genius Iridium" on it (can't even spell "genuine" right haha). It writes a Japanese Medium line but has a an uncomfortable amount of feedback. As soon as I run it through a few tests I plan on swapping the nib with some other #5 nib. I saw pictures of one of these pens sporting a Platinum 3776 Century 14k nib even.

A photo tell everything , well not exactly ...here's my 2015 production model Hero 956, with a chromed and square profiled cap topped with a gold plated relief of the Hero logo. C/C filling and no.5 nib, brass barrel and section give some heft, but the interesting part is the barrel; which is finished with a pearlescent coat of colour changing lacquer, the type that change from a dark green to dark purple and anything in between , sometime so dark it appear just black and that depends on the light and how it fall onto the barrel as well as the viewer's angle. the type in vogue in the 90's. Actually Hero had quite a few model using this finishing but not one with a chromed cap to pair it. In its real metal its stunning. I am about to retrofit an old Guan Le Ming 14K nib of the same size onto this and just will have to see how it come out

30462057887_1ac1882159_k.jpgHero 956 circa 2015, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

Hei Long Jiang type 50 standard size ; with a genuine Agate on the clip ~ the type 50 was manufactured from late 70's and through the 80's and might be even the early 90's. Its one of the more up market model which one could had with a steel, 12K and very very rarely 14K nib. That stated the brand's nib is not very nice, kind of like those nib on all those over sized calligraphy pen like the Yangtze. Fixed aerometric filling , thermo injection plastic barrel and cap, with a concentric ring of black and white on both end. I have retrofit mine with a later 90's production Gold Star 26 type nib of way better writing performance. Pen is roughly the same size as the Gold Star 26 / Wolff 186 ( a bit fatter though ). Pen can als be had in classic black

As for the Agate, the brand actually is the one who start doing that since the 50's on their better models as the Mfr reside in a region known for its Agate mine. In its original package it come with a certificate certifying the Agate by the National Gemology Society.

44487991225_9f0cdf4254_k.jpgHei Long Jiang 50 circa early 80s, on Flickr

Usually school pen, especially school pen intended for junior and very very young kids do not interest me but sometime I made an exception .. introducing Gold Star ( Golden Star, Jinxing ) model LZ001A, it was said to be design, and manufactured to fulfill export orders but also end up selling in home market circa 1980's up to early 90's, in its original retail state , its sold with a lanyard with a quick release buckle and a pack of blank stickers so children can write their name and class / class ID on it and stick it to the barrel appropriately , available in one finishing only, 5mm feed, with the square off nib, C/C filling and the nib, probably due to the nature and intended users , had a significantly more generous lump of a tipping and also quite firm.

fpn_1540458093__gs-lz001-_4.jpg

fpn_1540458105__gs-lz001-_3.jpg

As the photo show, the interesting part of this pen is in its being asymmetrical profiled, along the axis ( if you hold the pen nib up as in writing ) , the side ( axial vise ) 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock and 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock is 2 flat surface angled 90 degree ( right angle ) and with the top flat surface having indent to place the stickers. The other side is a single round circular profiled with an ink window cutout for the C/C, cap is similar in asymmetrical shaped profile, snap on and will not post but serve quite well as a pen rest when in use

fpn_1540458120__gs-lz001-_1.jpg

The same profile extend to the section grip , I say section grip cause its a separate piece in a blue rubber kind of material ( soft and grippy ) on top of the round section ( in red ). The section screw into the barrel with the blue grip part aligned and the grip is equally asymmetrical profiled as the barrel but also length vise asymmetrical. with the flat side longer and also having a pinch then a flare close to the nib end ... and its longer on the top side

fpn_1540458131__gs-lz001-_2.jpg

And the last photo show the pen head on with the section intentionally screwed off a bit to show their shape both ; this profile seems to work rather well, at least for me this is one of the few triangular formed grip that I can feel right using, and plenty of kids agree. I had gifted this pen to a number of friend's kid when they start learning to write and the reception and feedback are all positive so I guess the pen do its job admirably.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Thanks for sharing this pen! I'm going to grab one for my son any friend's kids I can get into the hobby. Looks like a functional design for kids.

Usually school pen, especially school pen intended for junior and very very young kids do not interest me but sometime I made an exception .. introducing Gold Star ( Golden Star, Jinxing ) model LZ001A, it was said to be design, and manufactured to fulfill export orders but also end up selling in home market circa 1980's up to early 90's, in its original retail state , its sold with a lanyard with a quick release buckle and a pack of blank stickers so children can write their name and class / class ID on it and stick it to the barrel appropriately , available in one finishing only, 5mm feed, with the square off nib, C/C filling and the nib, probably due to the nature and intended users , had a significantly more generous lump of a tipping and also quite firm.

fpn_1540458093__gs-lz001-_4.jpg

fpn_1540458105__gs-lz001-_3.jpg

As the photo show, the interesting part of this pen is in its being asymmetrical profiled, along the axis ( if you hold the pen nib up as in writing ) , the side ( axial vise ) 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock and 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock is 2 flat surface angled 90 degree ( right angle ) and with the top flat surface having indent to place the stickers. The other side is a single round circular profiled with an ink window cutout for the C/C, cap is similar in asymmetrical shaped profile, snap on and will not post but serve quite well as a pen rest when in use

fpn_1540458120__gs-lz001-_1.jpg

The same profile extend to the section grip , I say section grip cause its a separate piece in a blue rubber kind of material ( soft and grippy ) on top of the round section ( in red ). The section screw into the barrel with the blue grip part aligned and the grip is equally asymmetrical profiled as the barrel but also length vise asymmetrical. with the flat side longer and also having a pinch then a flare close to the nib end ... and its longer on the top side

fpn_1540458131__gs-lz001-_2.jpg

And the last photo show the pen head on with the section intentionally screwed off a bit to show their shape both ; this profile seems to work rather well, at least for me this is one of the few triangular formed grip that I can feel right using, and plenty of kids agree. I had gifted this pen to a number of friend's kid when they start learning to write and the reception and feedback are all positive so I guess the pen do its job admirably.

Sometime looks can be deceiving alright, and here's Youth 206 to prove it. In its uncapped form it look just like any of the pre war pen sized between 24/26; sort of like the Gold Star 26/28 with a pretty beautiful cap band and tessie ring clip with a black jewel. Usual rounded end barrel. First surprise on unscrewing the cap is that its a hooded nib model .. well sort of ...

44680275965_a9bda83cdc_k.jpgYouth 206, on Flickr

I say sort of because while its certainly a hooded nib in general concept. it does not use the conical nib and traditional hooded nib mechanism, and further surprise when you unscrew the barrel as it use a modded aerometric filling. Disassembly and the component tells, it use standard 5mm feed and traditional sized open nib but this is all housed and hidden under the section / hood. The usual coupler is elongated to constitute the reservoir for the ink and a small sac is attached to the end to act as the squeeze bulb. The coupler also, had an elongated straight tubular portion up front that are machine push fitted into the section and its where the feed and nib would fit into. The Youth 206 can be had in the shown Teal, and Black as well as Red and Leaf Green which is Youth's 4 basic color for all their vintage pens ..

fpn_1540714519__y206.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 4 weeks later...

M&G petite pocket pen AFPY-3401 The Leaves ; C/C filling, at 105mm uncapped, and 120mm capped, can go up to 135mm if posted, despite aluminum used, its having a certain ( not heavy ) heft and solid feel to it likely due to its slim and small size and the full length plastic insert and inner cap barrel and cap; write wet and smooth always.

45958209152_8ce484a844_k.jpgM&G The Leaves, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

I handled The Leaves pen a couple times in M&G stores and the combination of heft and slippery surface made it a no go for me. Very pretty though!

Mech-for-I,

These are fascinating pen stories. The yellow school pen is an especially evocative glimpse into school life in China, and the designers echo the Fisher-Price team in the USA. The Leaves pen is lovely, but the agate on the clip of the Hei Long Jiang, I don’t know.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

LOL . indeed and that's why when I had a casual check with the Montblanc Boheme the first time I saw one I was like .. what ... the ... ???? Deja vu , Deja vu. Bad taste clearly had no bound in price and prestige

Wow, I had never seen the Boheme with a gemstone. You are right!

https://goo.gl/images/Xi1ake

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Golden Star 906 in basic brushed steel, this is the workhorse pen in the range circa late 80's to mid 90's, which serve as the base line model for almost all of the brands slimline 9XX range with only difference in the finishing and section ( some had extra grooves or textured surface, some had slimmer or heavier trim ring ). The notable feature of this model is its slim straight nib; though it use the same feed as a no.5 ( type 26 ) nib it cannot take the standard no.5 as the cap is too slim to accommodate, for that Golden Star provide the pen with a nib with no flare ( wing ). This nib is used on all of Golden Star's slimline pen and can be had ( in different model ) in TigP, chromed, or polished steel, as well as 10K, 12K gold. Filling is by traditional fixed aerometric mechanism. Together with Hero's 841 and Wing Sung's 220 the trio were considered the workhorses for the period.

31175714687_bf83b10a81_k.jpgGolden Star 906, on Flickr

M&G AFAPM1202 , ye another that equip itself with a Lamy style nib ; its certainly a variant of the Lanbitou 8049 ; though it would be hard to say who's responsible for the original industrial design & engineering . The 8049 certainly come to market earlier though ; The pen part , section / feed/nib / converter are all the same but the 8049 use metal barrel and cap and the M&G had composite plastic; in engineering term the M&G is way better and sown far better tightness and tolerance but the M&G only come in EF , and I had my switched out for an M nib fro Lanbitou. M&G's cap also spot a clip much like the one on the Kaco Sky; the M&G come in only Black ( with smoked clear section ) and White ( with all clear section ). As with the 8049 the interesting element is the square section all over.

32269644838_ebdbd2f303_k.jpgM&G AFPM1202, on Flickr

Just read from an FrankUnderwater blog about a Chinese company named N9.

Anyone can give insight on their pens? It seems they are focusing more domestically since I don't see their products on Ebay

Penzel, Frank Underwater does write knowledgeably indeed on new developments in the Chinese pen industry. The Beifa n9 subsidiary is fascinating, as is the roller ball steel development. I’ll place a link here so fans of Chinese pens can find it more easily. I haven’t seen n9 pens available yet in the west, and agree with you that they appear first focused on the China market.

https://frankunderwater.com/2018/11/27/highliting_2018-n9/

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Yes I do believe the site is quite helpful on the subject (the article I learned related to Parker-Hero is also from the same blog), too bad that Frank Underwater does not frequently updates his blog.

The Taiji design looks sleek, but I spot a step down there at the barrel/section area from the pictures.

Interesting times indeed for the Chinese fountain pen community

Thanks for the link, Bobje!

I must say I'm not particularly impressed with the looks of any of the N9 pens, but they are to be applauded for originality.

It appears that they are only for sale on jd.com which is Chinese shopping group similar to Taobao but considered to offer more "legit" products instead of fakes.

The Taiji design looks sleek, but I spot a step down there at the barrel/section area from the pictures.

Yep, that step down totally kills it for me. I'm forever traumatized by a Pilot Metropolitan hurting me in a meeting thanks to the step.

Thanks for the link, Bobje!

I must say I'm not particularly impressed with the looks of any of the N9 pens, but they are to be applauded for originality.

It appears that they are only for sale on jd.com which is Chinese shopping group similar to Taobao but considered to offer more "legit" products instead of fakes.

The Taiji has been available to the west on AliExpress for a few weeks, but the price was too high to take a punt on it, as I hadn't heard anything about it. If you search AliExpress for "N9 Chinese Style Tai Chi Iridium Gold Pen Business" it should come up.