Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

So I finally got the Selmy/Jinhao/Who Knows What Brand pen! It's lovely and came in a rather nice box with an additional Jinhao Fine Nib and a pen case. I got the Fude - no Selmy branding.

fpn_1536708748__selmypenbox.jpg

fpn_1536708773__selmypenbox2.jpg

fpn_1536708845__selmypenbox3.jpg

fpn_1536708831__selmypen.jpg

fpn_1536708861__selmypenpart.jpg

fpn_1536708875__selmypennib.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really nice looking pen, but what's up with the branding? The body is a Selmy but the nib Jinhao??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I mean, did the original ad say it was Selmy?

No, it was called the custom fish pen but they used the Selmy photos, it is one of the reputable ebay sellers, and this is the Selmy everything but the nib. Since I got a Fude nib, maybe it was replaced? The Selmy branded nib seems only to come in ef.

No, it was called the custom fish pen but they used the Selmy photos, it is one of the reputable ebay sellers, and this is the Selmy everything but the nib. Since I got a Fude nib, maybe it was replaced? The Selmy branded nib seems only to come in ef.

Thanks for the explanation. I think you're right about the reason they switched the nib. I haven't seen any Selmy branded Fude nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the Hero H703 is still quite easy to find and the wider version is called the H703A for those who'd like a wider pen. I've been using the H703 a lot the past couple weeks and it really is thin...a mere 8mm diameter at its widest point!

some from last month's haul , always wanting the Hero H703, the shop I usually shop around inform me that the old slim version are to be phased out in favor of the new ( 2017 release ) larger version so I put in my order for one in Sation Champagne Diamond Grid; and got one of the newer larger variant Hero OEM(ed) for Selmy, named 自如 ( meaning freely ), which had the Rose Gold Guilloche, and side shown Selmy's Demo Piston ( an OEM variant of the Lanbitu 3059 / WIng Sung 3008 )

fpn_1512410810__nov2017haul-h703.jpg
fpn_1512410589__nov2017haul-selmy.jpg
fpn_1512413802__h703selmyoem.jpg

and I really like the way Selmy do their packaging .. ( note the cardboard box at the back ) ....

fpn_1512411638__nov2017haul-package.jpg

How are you liking your unbranded Selmy? I'm just about to pull the trigger on the all white version, but I'm concerned about ink staining the section. On the white parts of the section on your pen, does the ink show through after filling the pen? I'm concerned it will be too transparent and ruin the icy look.

Hero 1506, slim (10.3mm on barrel ) all metal construction C/C filler with a nice wet smooth FM nib ( #.5 ) , you can have this also in Sky Blue, White and the usual Black too.

fpn_1538197253__h1506s.jpg

Lovely classic design and I like the orange color too!

It seems like most of Hero's pens in this price range have a similar smooth and wet F/M nib.

I still really want to find out of those black cat pen holders. So cute!

On Taobao the only pen holders are can find are the traditional ones often used for resting brushes on or the knight in armor one.

How are you liking your unbranded Selmy? I'm just about to pull the trigger on the all white version, but I'm concerned about ink staining the section. On the white parts of the section on your pen, does the ink show through after filling the pen? I'm concerned it will be too transparent and ruin the icy look.

I have mine inked up, but as you can see in the picture, the nib and feed are inserted into a black collar in the section - so if there were staining - I'd never see it. Nothing stains on the outside.

Well had an order for a Cocoa 601A , but Shanghai JL mistakenly ship me a ( yet to be released ) Cocoa 601 instead .. I guess I will have to put in another order later for the 601A, and aside that there is the Jinhao 51A ( metal coupler , black section ) updated with an after market turned acrylic barrel ( courtesy of the Caliart gang )

30154897867_5de7b95020_o.jpgJinhao 51A and Wing Sung 601 by Mech for i, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

Those Caliart acrylic barrels are really nice, but I have no interest in getting a Jinhao 51A. Any chance the barrel will screw on to any other pens?

That cocoa 601 really makes me want some hot chocolate! I was curious about the 601A as well. It looks like Shanghai Junlai's way of using up some old NOS triumph-style Wing Sung nibs. In the Chinese reviews I had seen a picture of a 601A with a gold nib but can't seem to find any for sale with that option.

Edited by TruthPil

Well had an order for a Cocoa 601A , but Shanghai JL mistakenly ship me a ( yet to be released ) Cocoa 601 instead .. I guess I will have to put in another order later for the 601A, and aside that there is the Jinhao 51A ( metal coupler , black section ) updated with an after market turned acrylic barrel ( courtesy of the Caliart gang )

Jinhao 51A and Wing Sung 601 by Mech for i, on Flickr

I bet that the Cocoa looks better in person and as for the Jinhao, it is too flashy an acrylic for me

Out of all expectations, I actually missed using the Jinhao 51A and a couple of days ago inked it with Diamine Ancient Copper.

It still writes very nice but the sweet spot keeps on bothering me

Those Caliart acrylic barrels are really nice, but I have no interest in getting a Jinhao 51A. Any chance the barrel will screw on to any other pens?

That cocoa 601 really makes me want some hot chocolate! I was curious about the 601A as well. It looks like Shanghai Junlai's way of using up some old NOS triumph-style Wing Sung nibs. In the Chinese reviews I had seen a picture of a 601A with a gold nib but can't seem to find any for sale with that option.

I think the barrel can be interchanged to other similar models but don't hold my words for it since haven't tried them. I think Hero has the similar acrylic pattern in the latest 616 release.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

I've got all three of the acrylic barrels for the 51A being shipped right now, as well as a non-hooded translucent blue 51A with F nib. Part of the reason I've ordered them is to see what sections will and won't fit them. I'm hoping the non-hooded one will open up a lot of nib options, even if section options aren't vast.

I have not try

I bet that the Cocoa looks better in person and as for the Jinhao, it is too flashy an acrylic for me

I think Hero has the similar acrylic pattern in the latest 616 release.

well Hero still have only solid color thermo-injection barrel , ditto for the 100 all the acrylic / wood barrels on the market are after market parts add on. In any case I had a few idea of what the barrel may or may not fit, but I'll have to experiment before answering in any sure manner

I've got all three of the acrylic barrels for the 51A being shipped right now, as well as a non-hooded translucent blue 51A with F nib. Part of the reason I've ordered them is to see what sections will and won't fit them. I'm hoping the non-hooded one will open up a lot of nib options, even if section options aren't vast.

Could you give impressions on the non-hooded Jinhao 51A once you've got your hand on them?

I am particularly interested on whether they have the same small sweet spot as the hooded version

Could you give impressions on the non-hooded Jinhao 51A once you've got your hand on them?

I am particularly interested on whether they have the same small sweet spot as the hooded version

Judging by the seller photos, the open nib seems to be the same as on most recent Jinhao models like the 992, 991, and 156. It's a super smooth fine nib.