List Of Possible Nib Substitutions

VillersCotterets

were can I find that information? Im REALY new to this.....

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• dipper

• carlos.q

I fitted a Schmidt #5 nib in a Noodler's flex.

The pen that came with the nib is now fitted with a Bock 180.

With these information I guess, Noodler's standard flex nib, Schmidt #5, Bock 180, Knox 26 are all interchangeable.

Could anyone verify that? :notworthy1:

http://i.imgur.com/elygm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O0u7L.jpg

Edited by phisgr

So, I've fitted a TWSBI Vac 700 with an extra JoWo #6 nib I had laying around from an Edison. Fits perfectly!

Thanks the info. I have some cheap Chinese pens and some inexpensive Indian pens. Nib sellers on the net show 5MM, 6MM, etc. nibs. What does this measurement tell me? Is this something to do with fitting the housing? Would a 35MM nib replace a 26MM nib? Should I measure the old nib and try to find one that fits that measurement? Are most manufactured loose nibs universal in 2 or three dimensions?

Some, but not all, nibs are generic copies of popular nib systems (nib + feed).

5 mm (or 6mm) is usually the diameter of the feed.

26 mm (or 35 mm ) is usually the width of the shoulders.

Some companies describe those nibs as #5 nibs (or #6 nibs)

A #5 nib (5 mm) surely won't fit a #6 feed (which requires a 6 mm nib). But a #5 might fit a 5 mm feed... depending on the shape of the feed and length of the nib. Even if you have same dimensions, the shape of the nib might not fit the feed for many reasons. It always comes down to a trial and error process. This is why we need a list of possible compatible nibs...

Villers Cotterets

Wouldn't that make thenib toooo wide, I guess you wanted to say the length?

Nib width at shoulders is to the tune of 6 - 10 mm, and is usually 1-3 mm wider than the base.

To the OP

Parker 21 Super and 51 (both aero and vac versions) nibs are interchangeable, and p[ossiblt 41 too.

Parkers Vector, Urban, IM, Reflex, 88 / Rialto / Place Vandome, 15 / Jotter, all have the same nibs.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

What a great idea! Maybe hold off recompiling the list until the flow of entries have slowed though so the thread doesn't become too unweildy...

Richard Binder has on his site the interchangeability of Pelikan nibs between models, but one combination that is not found online is one which I recently tried out and posted on the Pelikan forum: a modern m600 nib in a 400NN body. I found quite surprisingly that in my model at least the cap cleared the larger m600 nib quite easily, making it a safe and viable option.

I don't know what the manufacturing tolerances were in those days, so it's possible that caution still needs to be exercised, but I thought it's relevant to this thread nonetheless.

Keep it up, it's a great idea!

Jack.

Edited by Ytland

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread as I was researching possible nib swaps for my pens. The OP suggested it be completed and posted as a stickie. What happened to all this great work? It's too valuable to leave submerged like this.

Bump.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

Not sure if this would actually belong in this thread, but I fitted a section/nib unit from a Hero 5028 into a Jinhao barrel (I'd broken the feed when I tried to reinsert the nib - half of the feed is still stuck inside the section) and got a perfect fit.

Great work, this post will bump it, at least.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of eccentric Esterbrook substitutions. The first is a Conklin Toledo #2 nib, which replaces any conventional Esterbrook nib. You have to keep the Conklin feed for this. The other is a Conway Stewart nib which uses the original Esterbrook feed from a 9128. In both cases you can unscrew the nibs and place them in any Esterbrook SJ, J, or LJ.

• 1 month later...

Great thread - should be pinned asap :thumbup:

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Osmiroid and Venus nibs work with esterbrooks, quite well

Signature left blank per new rules...

This thread is awesome! BUMP.

I vote that this be pinned so that we can all refer to it fluidly.

Question for you Noodler's experts: I have a Ahab, and I will be buying a Konrad or two. I see in the List that the Knox K35 is the right size for the Ahab. What about for the Konrad - is it the K26?

Appreciate your advice!

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

This thread is awesome! BUMP.

I vote that this be pinned so that we can all refer to it fluidly.

I asked several times the mods to pin this thread. The answer was ... a big silence. Therefore I stopped maintaining it.

Question for you Noodler's experts: I have a Ahab, and I will be buying a Konrad or two. I see in the List that the Knox K35 is the right size for the Ahab. What about for the Konrad - is it the K26?

Appreciate your advice!

The Konrad and Ahab both take K35 (size 6) nibs.

Appreciate your advice!

The Konrad and Ahab both take K35 (size 6) nibs.

Thanks so much!!!

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

• 4 months later...

Ok. So if a Prera nib fits a Plumix is the opposite true? Will a Plumix nib fit a Prera.

I just changed mine from Pluminix italic to Prera. You will keep the feed but just change the steel nib unit. It fits perfectly.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

It might be useful to maintain a list of nibs and nib assemblies that can be used in popular pens.

For instance,

• 5mm Schmidt nibs
  • TWSBI Diamond 530/540
  • Franklin-Christoph model 14, 27, 29, 40
  • Levenger True Writer (strangely, the nibs are listed in the ink refills section)
  • Knox K26
  • Noodler's Ink Flex pen, piston standard nib pen, and ebonite pens
  • Knox K35
  • Bulow x450, x750, x530
  • Jinhao x450, x750, 159
  • Noodler's Ink Ahab
  • Lamy LZ-50
  • Lamy Accent, AL-Star, CP1, Joy, Logo, Safari, Studio, and Vista
  • Manuscript Calligraphic Set (Credit to P.A.R.)
  • Noodler's Ink Flex pen, piston standard nib pen, and ebonite pens
etc...

And maybe also a list of nibmeisters selling ready-made nibs...

NOTE : TWSBI Diamond 540

TWSBI 540's nib fits perfectly into a Levenger True Writer but then it is not possible to put the cap on since the TWSBI nib is too big to fit into Levenger's inner cap :(

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

• 2 weeks later...

The nib and feed of the Jinhao x750 is almost identical to the Nemosine. My jinhao nib is all bendy and crappy, but it writes very nicely with the nib swapped out to a nemosine!

• 2 months later...

Hello

Does anyone know if I could fit a fancy nib onto this Jinhao? Like a Montblanc nib, Visconti or other brand. It already writes well but I just feel that a larger, gold, elaborately engraved nib will be more in keeping with the pens ostentatious nature - plus it would shock everyone if they saw a Montblanc nib on it etc.

Anyone here with any knowledge on the matter?

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/yougainmore/JINHAO-072-LF-GBG-F-C.jpg

MaximumExtreme.net - The Ultimate Movie & Lifestyle site!!! Check it out!!

Pens In Use: ST Dupont Olympio XL, Visconti Maxi Van Gogh, Namiki Mt. Fuji & Wave, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pilot Namiki Maki-e Golden Dragon, Jinhao Dragon & Phoenix, Montblanc Meisturstuck Platinum LeGrand Ballpoint