List Of Possible Nib Substitutions

VillersCotterets

Hello

Does anyone know if I could fit a fancy nib onto this Jinhao? Like a Montblanc nib, Visconti or other brand. It already writes well but I just feel that a larger, gold, elaborately engraved nib will be more in keeping with the pens ostentatious nature - plus it would shock everyone if they saw a Montblanc nib on it etc.

Anyone here with any knowledge on the matter?

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/yougainmore/JINHAO-072-LF-GBG-F-C.jpg

I tried an Omas Paragon for a similar operation but it was too large. The outside diameter of the circle the nib is a segment of is larger diameter than that for the standard #6 in the Jinhao. You might get an MB 144 nib to fit, but it will not be much larger. When you put a larger nib in, be sure to check the cap still fits properly first. Somewhere here in FPN there is a Frankenpen with an MB nib in an Esterbrook body.

Edit: Found it here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/226522-mb-in-estieland/?p=2416122

Edited by Scrawler

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• dipper

• carlos.q

Wow, just found this thread. A fine nib that will fit my x750? Wonderful! I do wish the non-calligraphy k35 nibs came without the gold-tone.

Edited by sethk

I tried an Omas Paragon for a similar operation but it was too large. The outside diameter of the circle the nib is a segment of is larger diameter than that for the standard #6 in the Jinhao. You might get an MB 144 nib to fit, but it will not be much larger. When you put a larger nib in, be sure to check the cap still fits properly first. Somewhere here in FPN there is a Frankenpen with an MB nib in an Esterbrook body.

Edit: Found it here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/226522-mb-in-estieland/?p=2416122

Hi Scrawler, thanks for the info =P So would you recommend a size 6 nib to try on this Jin Hao? Is the MB 144 the only option you are aware of that may be compatible? Any others I may try?

I'll start scouring the internet for a MB 144 nib =D Do you know any sites that sell replacement MB nibs? So far I've only been looking on ebay. Difficult to find online stores that sell them on their own.

Many many thanks again for the reply

MaximumExtreme.net - The Ultimate Movie & Lifestyle site!!! Check it out!!

Pens In Use: ST Dupont Olympio XL, Visconti Maxi Van Gogh, Namiki Mt. Fuji & Wave, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pilot Namiki Maki-e Golden Dragon, Jinhao Dragon & Phoenix, Montblanc Meisturstuck Platinum LeGrand Ballpoint

Hi Scrawler, thanks for the info =P So would you recommend a size 6 nib to try on this Jin Hao? Is the MB 144 the only option you are aware of that may be compatible? Any others I may try?

I'll start scouring the internet for a MB 144 nib =D Do you know any sites that sell replacement MB nibs? So far I've only been looking on ebay. Difficult to find online stores that sell them on their own.

Many many thanks again for the reply

When you say "fancy" is appearance the only characteristic you are looking for, or are you also looking for spring or flex too? The problem with nibs is that there are so many styles and purposes, as well as modern and antique. A lot of the time us Frankenpenners experiment with what we can find. I think you can find a Conklin Toledo from the 1920s that will fit your modern Jinhao, but while it is lovely expressive gold nib, it does not have the platinum and rhodium plating that makes a nib really stand out. Vintage nibs trend to have less engraving. Part of what makes the MB 144 subs a good nib to play with is the combination of engraving and plating.

If I were going to do something like this it would be because I had specific nib characteristics in mind. There are quite a few nib sales places on the internet. If you do not see what you want, I suggest writing to the contact info on the site. A good place to start looking is http://www.nibs.com/ Also you may want to contact people like David Nishimura. As far as ebay is concerned, you will have to look and look and keep looking till you find what you want. Sometimes nice nibs do come up for auction.

When you say "fancy" is appearance the only characteristic you are looking for, or are you also looking for spring or flex too? The problem with nibs is that there are so many styles and purposes, as well as modern and antique. A lot of the time us Frankenpenners experiment with what we can find. I think you can find a Conklin Toledo from the 1920s that will fit your modern Jinhao, but while it is lovely expressive gold nib, it does not have the platinum and rhodium plating that makes a nib really stand out. Vintage nibs trend to have less engraving. Part of what makes the MB 144 subs a good nib to play with is the combination of engraving and plating.

If I were going to do something like this it would be because I had specific nib characteristics in mind. There are quite a few nib sales places on the internet. If you do not see what you want, I suggest writing to the contact info on the site. A good place to start looking is http://www.nibs.com/ Also you may want to contact people like David Nishimura. As far as ebay is concerned, you will have to look and look and keep looking till you find what you want. Sometimes nice nibs do come up for auction.

Thanks again for the info Scrawler!

Presently I think I am mostly looking for a nib that looks nice and writes smooth. I don't write, presently, using flex and much flair but perhaps that will come with time.

After some discussion with an eBay pen seller, I am sending the pen to the US to see if a MB Voltaire nib can be fitted on the Jinhao. Do you know if the size will be compatible? I don't know if this will work but I'll definitely write about it on Fpnetwork if it does =)

Thanks again for the help!

MaximumExtreme.net - The Ultimate Movie & Lifestyle site!!! Check it out!!

Pens In Use: ST Dupont Olympio XL, Visconti Maxi Van Gogh, Namiki Mt. Fuji & Wave, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pilot Namiki Maki-e Golden Dragon, Jinhao Dragon & Phoenix, Montblanc Meisturstuck Platinum LeGrand Ballpoint

Thanks again for the info Scrawler!

Presently I think I am mostly looking for a nib that looks nice and writes smooth. I don't write, presently, using flex and much flair but perhaps that will come with time.

After some discussion with an eBay pen seller, I am sending the pen to the US to see if a MB Voltaire nib can be fitted on the Jinhao. Do you know if the size will be compatible? I don't know if this will work but I'll definitely write about it on Fpnetwork if it does =)

Thanks again for the help!

You description of your desires suggests a modern decorative nib.

The Voltaire is a gorgeous nib. I have only had one opportunity to write with one. That and the Hemingway are my two favourite MB pens. I think the Voltaire nib may be too broad, but I am relying on memory of the one time I used one, so may be completely wrong. If it works for you, I am very keen to see pictures. As I imagine all of the other Frankenpenners in here are.

[snip]

There has been a number of omas nibs in various sizes on ebay the last year. I bought a couple about half a year ago, but they turned out to be #5 nibs instead of 6 as I thought. And I do not have any pens that take a #5 nib. Just tested them in a dip pen, and both were smooth and quite wet (a medium and a broad).

So any tips of a nice pen with a #5 interchangable nib is appreciated!

Also, I am currently looking at a Franklin-Christoph mod 65. Anybody knows if it will fit the omas #5???

Thanks, great thread!!!

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

There has been a number of omas nibs in various sizes on ebay the last year. I bought a couple about half a year ago, but they turned out to be #5 nibs instead of 6 as I thought. And I do not have any pens that take a #5 nib. Just tested them in a dip pen, and both were smooth and quite wet (a medium and a broad).

So any tips of a nice pen with a #5 interchangable nib is appreciated!

Also, I am currently looking at a Franklin-Christoph mod 65. Anybody knows if it will fit the omas #5???

Thanks, great thread!!!

They fit in Sheaffer No Nonsense.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, just found this thread. A fine nib that will fit my x750? Wonderful! I do wish the non-calligraphy k35 nibs came without the gold-tone.

Just wanted to chime in that Nemosines also use #6 nibs. I have a fine Nemosine nib on my x750 that I use as my daily writer.

Edited by ElMaistro

Has anyone tried fitting vintage or modern Montblanc nibs on Pelikans? I like the modern M600 Pelikan body but prefer Montblanc nibs so wondering what size would fit the pen collar...

The Goulet #6 nibs should fit the X750, and comes in silver finish. Good nib, too.

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

• 2 months later...

I would like to buy italic nib for my Visconti Rembrandt. Does anyone have a link to where I can find it on the web? Thanks

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just discovered that a Waterman #2 nib will fit PERFECTLY into the nib unit of a Pelikan M2XX or M4XX, meaning Waterman #2 nibs can fit Pelikan pens perfectly, the nibs are almost an exact match.

This really makes my Pelikan A LOT more appealing, even though it already was really high up there for me.

All you need to do is pull the nib and feed out of the collar and replace the Pelikan nib with the Waterman one and put the collar back on. That's it, no modifications needed. Now you have a Pelikan nib unit with a vintage Waterman nib.

Mafia Geek, sounds great. Do you have a photo please? Also is there any flex in your Waterman #2 and, if so, does the feed keep up?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Agree that makes the P200 even more of a winner.

You can also put some mapping/dip nibs into the serwex 101 : the gillots 303 will fit, but needs some feed adjusting and wont completeley allow the lid to screw doown