List Of Possible Nib Substitutions

VillersCotterets

Amazing topic!  The whole reason why I'm getting into Fountain Pens is hopefully for this added level of flexibility and optionality.

Goulet has this great video:  

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• dipper

• carlos.q

On 10/19/2015 at 3:37 AM, Fox Point said:

Please pin this! This thread is one of the best examples of fp user ingenuity. Tinkerers unite!

Sailor fude de mannen ground thinner at the tail, put in a Noodler's Konrad. So. Much. Fun.

No name (manuscript equivalent?) calligraohy nibs prised from penless sections fit with no alteration in Nib Creapers. They are ridiculously smooth fat stubs, though I am still working on the feed:nib:ink relationship to keep it juicy.

Now I just need something that will take pilot parallel nibs/nib units...

Fox Point

Here you go, the parallel nibs fit the Opus 88 

12 minutes ago, sandy wp said:

Here you go, the parallel nibs fit the Opus 88

For clarity.

Opus 88 makes a number of pens including, in no particular order, Picnic, Color, Omar, Demonstrator, Jazz,  Koloro and Bela.

The Koloro takes a #5 nib. The Demonstrator a #6. Don't know about the rest.

In this instance, apparently the Pilot Parallel also fits the Demonstrator, not the Koloro.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 5 months later...

The Chinese wingsung/lamy nibs fit on the platinum preppy pens. Bobby mentioned on his nib description page that the nibs might not be 100% fit for lamy, but it turns out that slight variation lets the nibs slide onto the platinum feed. I included picture of original 0.3 nib and a WS 1.1 stub nib on my platinum cherry blossom edition preppy. I've put 1.1 and 1.9 stub nibs on preppies and platinum shooting stars to use as a highlighter pen successfully.

photo_2021-05-16_23-54-26.jpg

photo_2021-05-16_23-54-15.jpg

29 minutes ago, LiquidInk said:

The Chinese wingsung/lamy nibs fit on the platinum preppy pens. Bobby mentioned on his nib description page that the nibs might not be 100% fit for lamy, but it turns out that slight variation lets the nibs slide onto the platinum feed. I included picture of original 0.3 nib and a WS 1.1 stub nib on my platinum cherry blossom edition preppy. I've put 1.1 and 1.9 stub nibs on preppies and platinum shooting stars to use as a highlighter pen successfully.

photo_2021-05-16_23-54-26.jpg

photo_2021-05-16_23-54-15.jpg

Nice! 😀

So you didn't do modifications on the feed?

I vaguely remember reading about Lamy/Lamy style nibs on Preppys, but I thought modifications of the feed would be necessary for them to work.

Edit:

(Also I thought that triangular sign meant Lanbitou, not WS??)

17 minutes ago, Licue said:

Nice! 😀

So you didn't do modifications on the feed?

I vaguely remember reading about Lamy/Lamy style nibs on Preppys, but I thought modifications of the feed would be necessary for them to work.

No, I pulled off the metal nib, then slid the stub nib on. It took some work getting fingernail behind the nib to push it off the feed stem, but that's as much work as I put into it.

Is that Lanbitou? I thought it was wingsung because Bobby's pens are sold as wingsung generally :D His listing didn't mention Lanbitou as an option

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044100061.html is the link where I got the nibs. Or I might have used his ebay page, same items but I forgot ebay link.

Is that Lanbitou? I thought it was wingsung because Bobby's pens are sold as wingsung generally :D

I'm not sure - but I think I've seen pens/nibs with that triangle being sold as Lanbitou 🤔

Edit: 

Here and here are pens with that triangle branded nib being sold as Lanbitou.

No, I pulled off the metal nib, then slid the stub nib on. It took some work getting fingernail behind the nib to push it off the feed stem, but that's as much work as I put into it.

Asking because (for example) this old thread claims Lamy nibs won't fit/work at all and this post (on a german forum) says modifications (filing down the top(??) of the feed, if I understood it correctly) are necessary.

But maybe slight differences between Lamy nibs and Lamy style nibs really make a big difference here?

24 minutes ago, Licue said:

I'm not sure - but I think I've seen pens/nibs with that triangle being sold as Lanbitou 🤔

Asking because (for example) this old thread claims Lamy nibs won't fit/work at all and this post (on a german forum) says modifications (filing down the top(??) of the feed, if I understood it correctly) are necessary.

But maybe slight differences between Lamy nibs and Lamy style nibs really make a big difference here?

Here is picture from the back of the nib. You can see it isn't an "exact" fit, the metal folds don't reach around as deeply as original nib, but it fits well enough that it won't fall off. It's also slightly longer. I think it may hit the inner cap but since the spring goes up, it hasn't damaged the nib as far as I can tell. 

edit: forgot to mention, you asked about modifying the feed, I deepened the ink channel with a razor on feed stem so it would keep up with the 1.9 stub. But it wasn't a modification to put the nib on. I just wanted more ink since I use it as a highlighter

Platinum nib on left, stub nib on right

photo_2021-05-17_00-59-05.jpg

4 minutes ago, LiquidInk said:

Here is picture from the back of the nib. You can see it isn't an "exact" fit, the metal folds don't reach around as deeply as original nib, but it fits well enough that it won't fall off. It's also slightly longer. I think it may hit the inner cap but since the spring goes up, it hasn't damaged the nib as far as I can tell. 

Platinum nib on left, stub nib on right

photo_2021-05-17_00-59-05.jpg

Thanks.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some of these Lanbitou/WS nibs and spare Preppy parts.

The Preppy (or rather the Prefounte and the Meteor, which use the Preppy system, but are significantly nicer looking (imo)) would really benefit from a wider (and broader) nib selection.

29 minutes ago, Licue said:

Thanks.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some of these Lanbitou/WS nibs and spare Preppy parts.

The Preppy (or rather the Prefounte and the Meteor, which use the Preppy system, but are significantly nicer looking (imo)) would really benefit from a wider (and broader) nib selection.

while I had it off when I took picture, I tried to put on a real lamy nib, It doesn't fit for some reason. The lamy nibs are flatter than the chinese ones, and the metal seems better quality since i couldn't "force" it on. But then again, I'm more inclined to disfigure a $2 chinese nib than I am a $15 lamy nib. So lamy may go on if I put enough pressure to "spread" the back of the nib as what happens to the chinese nib. Didn't want to ruin a good lamy nib though :D

edit: for what it's worth, I've put bobby's custom lamy architect/fude/cursive italic on without any issue. I mean, aside from pushing the nib on, the back spreads out slightly (you can see it in picture where one side "hangs" on where the other is actually fully on the feed).  But after removing the nib, it seems to go back to normal and I've put it back on real lamy without any issue to writing

Here's picture of the 1.9 stub and fude nibs. I didn't have architect/italic nibs handy for pictures just now. The gap on fude nib was because I took nib off another pen to show it fits and didn't push it all the way back into feed because I moved it back to other pen after photo.

photo_2021-05-17_01-34-34.jpg

10 minutes ago, LiquidInk said:

I'm more inclined to disfigure a $2 chinese nib than I am a $15 lamy nib.

Yeah, good point 🙂

Tho occassionally I can find Lamy nibs for good prices 2nd-hand here - and unlike with nibs&pens from China there's less shipping time and uncertainty 😉

• 2 months later...

What do you consider a “standard” #5 nib?

My understanding of both Bock and Jowo nibs are that they a about as standard as one can get

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Examples of "standard" #5 nibs are Jinhao 992, x250, and several other Jinhaos, and Wing Sung 659/698, especially the 14K gold version, since it is NOS and not trying to mimic pilot. Jowo and Bock are narrower at the base and usually come as a complete "nib unit" that screws into a compatible pen.

Jowo for sure and I think Bock are definitely available as loose nibs. 

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• 2 months later...

Which vintage gold nibs should I consider as possible replacements of a suitable shape for steel JoWo #5 nibs in Opus 88 Fantasia pens?  As I understand just getting a vintage European 14k gold engraved with a 5 won’t necessarily give me a nib of the right size/shape.  I’ve been trying to google various keywords relating to that swap, but so far nothing useful came up.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Franken assembly :)

I am sure someone has done this before me ... I am only a first month into my hobby, having a lots of fun!!!

Fitted Lifetime nib into Jinhao, no problem?

20211025_235925.jpg

20211025_235947.jpg

20211026_000008.jpg

20211026_000027.jpg

20211026_000044.jpg

Edited by MarkSydney
images stopped showing..