What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

just to stir something here... we should have a chinese pen sub-forum!! :roflmho:

Agreed :thumbup:

This idea has been rejected numerous times.

as i recall, those "turned into comical" threads were about a specific brand (i.g. lamy, visconti... not about a general chinese pens forum -or maybe i missed it. :mellow: .

no matter... what ever big brother says, i'm ok wit'it!!! and before i get in trouble, this is my last mention of the "another forum idea" here. let's keep this thread clean, it's a good one!!!! :thumbup:

BTW, the Jinhao keeps writing like a champ!!!! :bunny01:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that possibly the remit of the 'Pens From the Land of the Rising Sun' forum could be widened a bit. We'll see.

I don't think there is enough traffic to justify a 'Chinese Pens' forum on its own. Wim works on a notional consistent 8% of WI traffic for a considerable time as the minimum before considering a new sub-forum - and neither Lamy's nor Chinese pens get anywhere near that cutoff. One of the reasons for not having too many sub-forums is that it actually involves considerable admin time setting them up and keeping them alive & well, not to mention populating them with all old applicable threads from WI. Another good reason not to have too many fora is that new members find it confusing to have as many as we already have (as my wife regularly takes pains to tell me... ).

Regards,

Richard

Got a pen from Hong Kong/ebay myself after reading some of these threads! Thanks, it is actually a nice little pen!

Figured it was just an ebay gamble and might show, might not. Only took two weeks and it's a nice pen to boot! Doesn't have a brand name but looks similar to an expensive pen I've come to see for much more than $10. I'll get some pic's to post.

Med nib and a medium line that is almost as smooth as my TWSBI540. I don't like the converter the most as it's small but it has worked so far (3rd fill). I like the weight of the nib area as it's a heavier metal and weights the pen nicely. The cap snaps on or post with a positive and satisfying 'click'. I like it posted or not. I have mine filled with PR Tanzanite, I also replaced the converter to a cheap screw type.

Pics. snipped ...

I have that exact same pen. Don't you just love the positive click when you post the pen. It was called the Dolce Vita Naranja from the seller I bought it from. At the time I thought it was way to light for its size, but several other pens later I realize it is about average, or maybe a gram or two heavier than average. I love the look and only wish more Chinese pens would come with B or BB nibs, this pen seems to be on the small side of M.

This pen posts much better than the Picasso Century I am using today.

Edited by Wh3r3sWald0

I've got a Kaigelu 316. When I first got it it was a very dry and skippy. I read here on FPN that someone used a small sheet of mylar to spread the tines so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I made several passes down the slit with the maylar and the pen now writes like a dream. Smooth and wet. What a difference!!

Mine is the wettest writer I own...

Mine comes close, though when it arrived it was dreadful; ink backed up in the feed while the nib refused to write. I ended up having to soak overnight with washing-up liquid; first time any pen I bought needed anything other than a quick wetting with water.

Carrying a Jinhao pocket missile today.

Aside from the Picasso I mentioned in the above post, which I am only testing out. I have been writing all day with the Hero 007.

Got a pen from Hong Kong/ebay myself after reading some of these threads! Thanks, it is actually a nice little pen!

... Only took two weeks and it's a nice pen to boot! Doesn't have a brand name but looks similar to an expensive pen I've come to see for much more than $10... I don't like the converter the most as it's small but it has worked so far (3rd fill). I like the weight of the nib area as it's a heavier metal and weights the pen nicely.

The Dolce Vita Naranja is the name given to the identical pen I've been wondering about. Your photos make it look more tempting. I was wondering whether the converter would look ugly through the orange plastic, but I can't really see it. Nice to know there's a bit of heft up front, too.

Figured it was just an ebay gamble and might show, might not. Only took two weeks and it's a nice pen to boot! Doesn't have a brand name but looks similar to an expensive pen I've come to see for much more than $10. I'll get some pic's to post.

Med nib and a medium line that is almost as smooth as my TWSBI540. I don't like the converter the most as it's small but it has worked so far (3rd fill). I like the weight of the nib area as it's a heavier metal and weights the pen nicely. The cap snaps on or post with a positive and satisfying 'click'. I like it posted or not. I have mine filled with PR Tanzanite, I also replaced the converter to a cheap screw type.

Pics. snipped ...

I have that exact same pen. Don't you just love the positive click when you post the pen. It was called the Dolce Vita Naranja from the seller I bought it from. At the time I thought it was way to light for its size, but several other pens later I realize it is about average, or maybe a gram or two heavier than average. I love the look and only wish more Chinese pens would come with B or BB nibs, this pen seems to be on the small side of M.

This pen posts much better than the Picasso Century I am using today.

Guys, I like that one! Can anybody weigh theirs? I'd like to know the total weight. Also, is the blind cap metal?

That's what I DON'T like about my Kaigelu 316, it's tail-heavy. How's the balance on that one?

I found them on ebay, the only seller is in Japan, interesting.

Edited by filedog

Aside from the Picasso I mentioned in the above post, which I am only testing out. I have been writing all day with the Hero 007.

Hello,

what is your opinion about 007's.

I am waiting for a pack of 5, wondering what they will be like.

Thanks

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Guys, I like that one! Can anybody weigh theirs? I'd like to know the total weight. Also, is the blind cap metal?

I only have a postal scale good to .1oz but mine weighed 1.1oz total. Cap was .3oz and the rest with ink was .8oz. The cap is plastic but has a metal insert up inside of it from what I can see.

I like the pen posted or not. Posted doesn't really throw off the balance imho as the tip is rather heavy comparatively to the body.

Inked it is 30 grams, cap alone is 8 grams. This is on a calibrated scale.

Hello,

Thanks

Mine was thrown in as a gift on my last purchase and I didn't expect much. It is surprisingly smooth and it writes every time. I am just not fond of the light weight, 14 grams with a half full sac. I also don't like that the cap does not snap on, it is a pure friction fit and I have already pulled the cap off while the pen was in my pocket. But it is smooth enough that a 5 or 10 pack would make it easy to give one to everyone I would like to see writing with a fountain pen.

<snip>

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It looks sharp in person imho. No disappointments for me other than a shake here or there to write again at low ink levels. Which I think may be from the tiny ball in the converter restricting ink? I guess it's there to stop ink flow if removed or to keep the ink in it mixed up?

The ball is to break the surface tension of the ink to stop it staying at one end of the converter. Some converters have coil of spring to do the same job.

With regard to a Chinese Pens Forum:

I gather it was agreed some time ago by the Admins (and possibly Mods - if so I was asleep at the time & apologise) that the that the 'Pens From the Land of the Rising Sun' should be extended to accomodate all Asian pens. The intro has never been re-written, so it still looks like a Japanese Pens only forum. We will see what we can do about re-writing the intro to welcome Chinese pens there too.

I do not yet know how far the extension is, so the extension may be to India & Pakistan, but that would need to be confirmed.

Hope this is of interest to those lobbying for a Chinese Pens Forum.

Regards,

Richard.

With regard to a Chinese Pens Forum:

I gather it was agreed some time ago by the Admins (and possibly Mods - if so I was asleep at the time & apologise) that the that the 'Pens From the Land of the Rising Sun' should be extended to accomodate all Asian pens. The intro has never been re-written, so it still looks like a Japanese Pens only forum. We will see what we can do about re-writing the intro to welcome Chinese pens there too.

I do not yet know how far the extension is, so the extension may be to India & Pakistan, but that would need to be confirmed.

Hope this is of interest to those lobbying for a Chinese Pens Forum.

Regards,

Richard.

Yes, this is what I was told a couple years ago when I was wanting a separate Chinese forum. The "Land of the Rising Sun" was to become the home of all Asian pens.

I have decided that there is no point lobbying for more forums, and consequently the need for more mods. Two fifths of the pens I have are Chinese/Taiwanese and I have found that by simply clearly identifying them in the "Writing Instruments" forum (this one) I have had no problems discussing them.

My interest in Chinese pens comes a little differently to those of you who are looking for good pens at low prices. I used to live in China and my first Chinese pen was a NOS antique button filler with a 18K red gold nib, that was presented to me in 1990. It is nowhere near as heavy as the brass tube based items they have been making this past 20 years.

Just to add to the Asian pens debate - today I am using a Serwex piston filler from India that the great guys at fountainpenrevolution.com sent me and I have just received two Airmail FPs all from India. On the chinese front I'm using one of the Baoer "Sonnet" in a nice brown marbled pattern.

Edited by robofkent

Just to add to the Asian pens debate - today I am using a Serwex piston filler from India that the great guys at fountainpenrevolution.com sent me and I have just received two Airmail FPs all from India. On the chinese front I'm using one of the Baoer "Sonnet" in a nice brown marbled pattern.

What are the chances that we can lean on you to produce some sort of a review? I have never used any Indian made pens and I am rather curious about these.

Mine was thrown in as a gift on my last purchase and I didn't expect much. It is surprisingly smooth and it writes every time. I am just not fond of the light weight, 14 grams with a half full sac. I also don't like that the cap does not snap on, it is a pure friction fit and I have already pulled the cap off while the pen was in my pocket. But it is smooth enough that a 5 or 10 pack would make it easy to give one to everyone I would like to see writing with a fountain pen.

007! I love it! The James Bond pen!

Where would I get one? Or five? Thanks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

007! I love it! The James Bond pen!

Where would I get one? Or five? Thanks.

The following eBay sellers:

Actually purchased from these sellers

Some have individual pens, others 3 packs and still others 5 / 10 / 15 packs. The links above go to their respective eBay stores or to their list of items for sale, not directly to items, as item links end up dead when the listing expires. It will give you a head start on where to look for the Hero 007. BTW mine came from YesPen (no affiliation).

Edited by Wh3r3sWald0

Hello,

Thanks

Giving them away as presents is exactly the reason I bought them in the first place.

Another reason is that I wanted to play a little bit with a 51 (or 61) lookalike.

Anyway in the past when I used my pen to take university notes, I preferred a light weight pen, in order to reduce the fatigue from constant writing.

Nowadays I do not write as much so, I am comfortable with more heavy metal pens.

Each type has its own niche.

I agree that the friction cap is a disadvantage and that is the reason I mostly keep my parker 45 at home and carry my frontier with me.

It is also the reason I got a pen pouch in case one of my pens decide to uncap in my little bag and make a mess of my stuff.

I don't know about the others, but I would find a 007 review interesting

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

What are the chances that we can lean on you to produce some sort of a review? I have never used any Indian made pens and I am rather curious about these.

Now you've set me a challenge! I will do my best.......