What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Got a pen from Hong Kong/ebay myself after reading some of these threads! Thanks, it is actually a nice little pen!

... Only took two weeks and it's a nice pen to boot! Doesn't have a brand name but looks similar to an expensive pen I've come to see for much more than $10... I don't like the converter the most as it's small but it has worked so far (3rd fill). I like the weight of the nib area as it's a heavier metal and weights the pen nicely.

The Dolce Vita Naranja is the name given to the identical pen I've been wondering about. Your photos make it look more tempting. I was wondering whether the converter would look ugly through the orange plastic, but I can't really see it. Nice to know there's a bit of heft up front, too.

Well, I bought one, and I like it. The nib is marketed as medium, though I'd call it fine; it makes as wet a line as you could reasonably expect, though. I've never in my life had a cap that required quite so much effort to pull it off; I thought my Jinhao 5000 was tight, but this takes the biscuit.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just started using a Jinhao X750. Nice stout pen, but the medium nib is a little wider than I'd like. Thanks to another member who suggested a Knox K35 nib from xFountainpens.com. Just ordered the new nibs today. The pen was very slow to get started, but again thanks to some advice here, I removed the breather tube (more like a plastic stick with a lengthwise groove) and it writes beautifully.

My X750 was slow to start and skipped when I received it. I moved the nib closest to the feed as showed and it started immediately even I left it sit nib up for days and never skipped again.

http://www.pbase.com/motorcyclist/image/137961828.jpg

Edited by testrider

Just received a Jinhao 159 and 750. Both are excellent writers although the 750 isn't as smooth on better paper like Rhodia. On sugar cane paper, they are smooth as butter. The 750 has some hard starts and skips on Rhodia, so I may try the nib/feed adjustment listed above or go with a Knox. Either way, it's livable as it is, and both were a great deal at $10 each delivered.

They're not a nicely made as my MB or Pelican. but I like all good pens and I couldn't be much happier with them. They'll definitely get used.

- Mike

Edited by mikefromsac

Over the weekend I stuck with my Kaigelu 306 - a nice strong metal body to withstand any damage while I was digging some foundations and doing wheelbarrow work!

However, today I've dropped out and have a Duofold, which is acting as a stand in for my Kaigelu 316's. :thumbup:

Regards,

Richard.

Well today I will be cleaning my only Chinese pen a Jinhao X450 and putting it away for some time.

It is tooooooooo wet for me and most paper.

Take Care

David

David,

Have you tried closing the gap between the tines by crossing them first one above the other and then below the other? This should reduce the flow a bit.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

No I have not tried that as yet.

When I clean it I will give a go,but still probably put it away.

Take Care

David

I have been telling porkies.

I also a TWSBI 540 1.1. I only received on Saturday and I am now using that and loving it.

Am I forgiven.

Take Care

David

Jinhao 189 for me today. It's my first Chinese-made pen. I just received it last Friday. The pen writes very smoothly out of the box. I like its understated elegance. The main motif on the barrel has interesting cultural significance in China's ancient history. That's the main reason I bought the pen, besides its good looks. Sorry about my photography skill, it just doesn't do the pen justice.

post-83999-0-53863600-1331565152.jpg

I include a Duke pen, even though it has "Germany" stamped on it in four places (tip of cap, clip, cap ring, and nib), as the company is located in Shanghai.

Actually, I am not sure that I would have used all three of these today if I had not used them to write on the pad for the photograph below, but they are the Chinese fountain pens that I have inked at the moment, and I would certainly have used at least one of them.

post-57784-0-13854900-1331565921.jpg

Edited by Miles R.

Over the past few days, my pockets have accumulated three mechanical pencils and five fountain pens, two of which are Kaigelu 316s (black and amber) ... well, it's been windy, so I've put off going out and digging up the last spuds. Before I go out, I'll divest myself of all but my gardening pencil.

I include a Duke pen, even though it has "Germany" stamped on it in four places (tip of cap, clip, cap ring, and nib), as the company is located in Shanghai.

Duke is a Chinese company. Many pens from China have the legend "Iridium point Germany" on them. This creates the illusion that the nibs were made in Germany. The part that is of German manufacture is the platinum group metal that we for historical reasons call "iridium". The illusion of German manufacture is intended to play off their very fine pen history (Montblanc, Pelikan, Lamy, Soennecken). Germany has actually a long history in China. Prior to WWII German companies set the standards for railways and manufacturing processes there. Their influence can be seen in the pronunciation of pinyin and in the massive over engineering of their railway engines.

Duke is a Chinese company. Many pens from China have the legend "Iridium point Germany" on them. This creates the illusion that the nibs were made in Germany. The part that is of German manufacture is the platinum group metal that we for historical reasons call "iridium". The illusion of German manufacture is intended to play off their very fine pen history (Montblanc, Pelikan, Lamy, Soennecken). Germany has actually a long history in China. Prior to WWII German companies set the standards for railways and manufacturing processes there. Their influence can be seen in the pronunciation of pinyin and in the massive over engineering of their railway engines.

According to Duke's own Chinese-language marketing material, Duke has some sort of R&D and Sales business organization in Germany. I am not sure I believe that. In one of the reviews on Duke pens, someone was speculating that Duke may have bought a German factory, which was formerly operated by one of the German pen makers. I can't find that review now, though.

According to Duke's own Chinese-language marketing material, Duke has some sort of R&D and Sales business organization in Germany. I am not sure I believe that. In one of the reviews on Duke pens, someone was speculating that Duke may have bought a German factory, which was formerly operated by one of the German pen makers. I can't find that review now, though.

It would not surprise me one bit that both these are true. It is just sad that in all the time I lived in China I never got to Shanghai.

I've been without work for quite some time. MAY start again as soon as tomorrow.

When finances get better I have a wishlist from Xfountainpens.

X450 Wald Black w/ Gold

X530 Mitternacht Black w/ Silver

X750 Vertrag Black w/ Silver

Also interested in:

Hero Lisseur 2008 Black from Isellpens

Wality 69L Black from Retrodesk

Got a thing about black.

I have three pens almost certainly made in China, but those all caught my eye!

I just started using a Jinhao X750. Nice stout pen, but the medium nib is a little wider than I'd like. Thanks to another member who suggested a Knox K35 nib from xFountainpens.com. Just ordered the new nibs today. The pen was very slow to get started, but again thanks to some advice here, I removed the breather tube (more like a plastic stick with a lengthwise groove) and it writes beautifully.

My X750 was slow to start and skipped when I received it. I moved the nib closest to the feed as showed and it started immediately even I left it sit nib up for days and never skipped again.

http://www.pbase.com/motorcyclist/image/137961828.jpg

testrider, how did you get the nib and feeder out? Straight pull, unscrew, something else? Did you have to soak it for a while to loosen it up?

EDIT: Never mind. When I got home I searched and found this: " The Knox K35 nibs fit perfectly. You pull straight out the X750 nib/feed. I didn't need any tool to remove them. If it's too tight, just lightly twist it a little then pull it out. I got a pack of 3 Knox K35 nibs (EF, F and M) from xfountainpens.com. I haven't tried the 'M', but the 'F' is finer than X750's 'M'. "

- Mike

Edited by mikefromsac