Nakaya Urushi - Cigar Piccolo

Phthalo

This was a great review. So much so, that it helped my decision to get a Piccolo. I got one with a medium nib, which writes like a European wet fine. The picture is not great, but here it is:

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Piccolo.jpg

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• alvarez57

• Escribiente

• HyperCamper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Laura, great review.

Just got mailed by Nakaya. They've said they're shipping me my Equilibrium biggrin.gif

Based on the comments here, I really do hope i'm in for a treat. Guess I'd better add a review too when I get mine.

regards

bren

QUOTE (MYU @ Feb 16 2007, 09:48 PM)
Thanks, Laura. I took a look at that order form--wow, they really go into a lot of detail! It makes it difficult to decide on a nib as there are so many choices.

Unfortunately the link to Ruud's story isn't coming up. But Pentrace does have a number of interesting Nakaya articles.

Ruud--if you're reading this, maybe you can post your Nakaya article in the Review section of FPN?

I have posted the review from pentrace (thanks to Frits B.). I am sorry if too many people have seen this already. Ruud

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Nakaya kuro-tamenuri extra-fine Piccolo, and what a wonderful pen it is. Though a bit on the dry side, with a light hand it lays down an extremely fine line, and with normal pressure I finally have a fountain pen that I can use to write Kanji without it becoming something that looks like a Rorschach test.

Laura,great review!The pen is gorgeous.How would you compare it to the MYU?I have one arriving this week and am really becoming enamored with Japanese pens.

I went to the Nakaya order form and under Piccolo there is a choice of black or other color.Where do you specify the other color i.e Urushi?

Select Piccolo from the list, then in the field directly below that section (for "Special order" etc), type the name of the Urushi colour finish you would like. smile.gif

Comparing the Piccolo to the MYU is like apples to oranges... so not really sure what you are asking here. Nib-wise, the Pilot F on my MYU writes about the same width as my Nakaya EF, but the feedback is quite different. The entire writing experience is different... balance, weight, etc.

Both are excellent pens, I wouldn't part with either. I'm very pleased with how perfect the finish remains –a quick wipe with a cloth and the Piccolo always looks like new!

I usually have a MYU or the Piccolo with me at work each day – I never let the Piccolo out of my sight, and it travels in my top pocket. My uniform already has neon-yellow high-visibility tape across the chest, so I'm hardly concerned with the largish Piccolo drawing attention! wink.gif

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Green with envy doesn't begin to describe me. Such beautiful looking pens. My own experience with much lesser Japanese nibs makes me want to squeal like a little kid at how much better the Nakaya nibs must be!

Beautiful pens, congrats to everyone who owns one! Time to convince people to give me one as a graduation present biggrin.gif

Laura, great review, wonderful-looking pen, and your photography is truly outstanding! This pen has leapt to the top of my "I shouldn't spend that on a pen" wish list. Now I just have to control my impulse buying and save up my disposable income for a while...

The tamenuri one that I ordered in January took about 6 weeks to arrive. A custom finish such as maki-e or tame sukashi (what I'm thinking about if I get a second) will probably take longer.

Edited by coax

QUOTE (spilled ink @ Mar 15 2007, 12:56 AM)
After placing an order how long does it take until the pen is built and you actually take ownership?

That depends. My last order (two piccolo's, one with a 'non-standard' color) took five weeks. Then, my maki-e pen is a different story. Approximately six weeks of emails about the design, up to early July, and the pen was delivered in December. Ruud

• 3 months later...

Hi Laura and all ...

I have some Nakaya questions ...

any of you Piccolo owners here hold the pen at a shallow angle? ie your grip is further away from the nib. That being the case, won't the Piccolo be too short?

The DaniTrio OTOH is longer and that bit of extra length over the Piccolo helps enhance significantly the grip of th epen.

What are your experiences? TIA

Anyone here own a stub ? or a soft and flexy stub ?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

A small update: Here is my Kuro-Tamenuri Piccolo at ~10 months old:

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/Sunlit-01.jpg

(I have gotten a new monitor since I posted this review, and I can see now that my photos on page one of this topic are a little over-bright. Hopefully the difference in the urushi lacquer can be seen regardless...! :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Hello Phtalo,

Actually your beautiful pictures do confuse me (and make me jalous, but that's another story).

From what I see on the Nakaya website, kuro-tamenuri looks much blacker than your pen, even after having aged.

On this picture, an aged kuro-tamenuri decapod, the red parts are more visible, but there's no mistaking the black parts for red.

I thought I had the colors right in my head, but now I really wonder :hmm1:

In any case, it's gorgeous. I hope you're both getting along as well as the day you met. Something tells me you do :drool:

Reisho

post-6338-1184501510_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just so want one...

:rolleyes:

The other Japanese pen I'd like is the Namiki Bamboo. But I just got a girlfriend so my money's not going towards neither pen

:crybaby:

Great review, great pics, can't really say more than that. Sure you don't work for them?

Rich

Edited by ishimaru_kaito

"The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pens: Parker Jotter (black), Parker Frontier (M), Rotring Core Balium (XL), Sheaffer Prelude (M)

Inks: Yard-O-Led Blue/Black, Parker Quink Black and a vintage Quink Blue

Next pen: Varuna (Kavi, Rajan or Gajendra)...

That goldfish thing is just plain cool. It's over at Nakaya's site if you've never seen it. :)

Wow there is some impressive stuff at that site, such as - Japanese Pen Case - Nakaya calls it "Fountain pen Yatate" $580.

Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of good looking - cough cough :rolleyes:

I couldn't actually bring myself to touch the pen with my bare fingers, so I slipped the pen out of its pouch and into a cloth in my hand. It was late afternoon, and my office was full of warm summer light which made that spectacular lacquer finish just glow. I was astounded. My heart raced and my mind did too - the lacquer was so shiny! So reflective! The colour so rich and incredible! The size was perfect! The shape was sublime!

I had to stop right there and go smoke a cigarette.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.