Nakaya Urushi - Cigar Piccolo

Phthalo

How did we get from a wonderful review of Laura's beautiful fountain pen to politics??

:blink:

Hana, you don't have to apologize for *anything* in this thread.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally would not air my views about what the Nazis did to my Yugoslavian countrymen and women and relatives during WWII in a review that someone wrote about a pen that made them so happy :(

Sorry, but this just ticks me off... :angry:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• alvarez57

• Escribiente

• HyperCamper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope you guys don't mind, but I have some questions... Does the Piccolo Writer model come with or without a clip? It's color looks reddish-black? Have you ever seen the other colors in action? How would a Pel M200 F-nib, which suits me fine, compare to the nibs available on these pens?

The Writer (rounded ends) comes with a clip by default and can be made the Piccolo length by custom order.

The Cigar (conical ends) is clipless by default, but the Piccolo size is available Nakaya-direct with a clip as an option.

Not really sure what you mean about colours, but the Cigar is available in three finishes: Black, Blackish-Red or Reddish-Red urushi. The Writer comes in more colours.

Pels run wide and tend to be wet, so a Nakaya M would be your starting point.

Do I understand the following correctly? There are two models of the Nakaya Piccolo, the Cigar and the Writer. Both come without a clip?

That's important to me, because if I decide to buy one, I'd like one without a clip and I'll need a pen that's a bit longer than the Piccolo Cigar (which is the pen that's been reviewed, right?). ^_^

O, by the way, politics don't belong here. Personally I wouldn't touch a political topic with a ten foot pole, but if anyone feels the need to and you are free to do so, please do so in the "Chatter" subforum instead of in one of the best FP reviews I've ever seen on FPN.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

The Nakaya website terminology can be slightly misleading... the words Piccolo and Writer are used as models as well as size designations.

Do I understand the following correctly? There are two models of the Nakaya Piccolo, the Cigar and the Writer. Both come without a clip?

Nope, there are not two different Piccolo clipless pens. You’re nearly right – there are two models: the Cigar Piccolo which is clipless; and the Piccolo Writer which is the term for a slightly longer Cigar Piccolo with a clip. It doesn't mean two different-sized clipless pens.

That's important to me, because if I decide to buy one, I'd like one without a clip and I'll need a pen that's a bit longer than the Piccolo Cigar (which is the pen that's been reviewed, right?)

To get a longer Cigar, you ignore the word Piccolo all together, and simply order a Nakaya Cigar in the Portable size. :) The Cigar Portable is 21mm longer than the Cigar Piccolo.

Check out this image. The bottom pen (Piccolo) is the same as the one I have, the top pen is the next size up - the Portable. It is quite a bit longer as you can see. Just envisage the top pen as the same shape as the bottom pen, and that would be your clipless Cigar Portable.

I'm sleep deprived, but I'm sure this makes sense. Apologies if it doesn't!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

This is my take on the Nakaya terminology:

This is for the Urushi series only.

Writer = has clip

Cigar = no clip

Then there are 4 sizes (actually 5, I'll explain that)

Normal = full size, really big

Portable = slightly shorter

Decapod = has faceted sides

Piccolo = much smaller

However, with the Piccolo, the Writer model and Cigar model are slightly different sizes, with the Writer model being slightly larger.

Thanks for a great reiview and your impressions on various nibs - this is a beautiful pen and you did make a bold decision of going clip less - again this is not an every day writing pen - enjoy and thanks for sharing the experience.

Very beautiful pen and an excellent review.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

In this picture, linked from Nakaya's web page, you can see the difference in sizes.

http://www.nakaya.org/dimension.jpg

1. Piccolo writer

2. Piccolo cigar

3. Writer portable

4. Writer long

What I would like to see, is a writing sample of the Extra Fine nib, say, compared with Pelikan or Aurora.

In this picture, linked from Nakaya's web page, you can see the difference in sizes.

http://www.nakaya.org/dimension.jpg

1. Piccolo writer

2. Piccolo cigar

3. Writer portable

4. Writer long

What I would like to see, is a writing sample of the Extra Fine nib, say, compared with Pelikan or Aurora.

Now... I'd like number 1 without the clip... :ph34r:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

1. Piccolo writer

2. Piccolo cigar

3. Writer portable

4. Writer long

I'm thinking 3 and 4 were actually Cigar Portable and Cigar Long (since they don't have clips).

The text on the website said "Writer or Cigar" in the descriptions for number 3 and 4 (which I assume means they are physically identical, just with or without clip).

1. Piccolo writer

2. Piccolo cigar

3. Writer portable

4. Writer long

I'm thinking 3 and 4 were actually Cigar Portable and Cigar Long (since they don't have clips).

The text on the website said "Writer or Cigar" in the descriptions for number 3 and 4 (which I assume means they are physically identical, just with or without clip).

That's right. There's a long and a short version. Writer has clip, cigar is without.

Edited by Shabubu

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... "

Terry Pratchett

Yes, the cigar doesn't have the clip, and the writer does. I was also wondering wheter they would make the bigger Piccolo without a clp.

That would definitely be a custom order - just ask. :)

I'll think I'll do just that... I suppose contacting Nakaya directly is the best way for that? ;)

Earlier Nakaya pens have a single-tone yellow gold 14K nib with minimal adornment, while the current collection seems to have a two-tone, prettily engraved 14K nib as the standard.

I learned when ordering my Cigar Portable that the 14k nib (single tone) is the standard nib not an old nib. The two-tone nib is an $80 upgrade not a newer nib.

Nice review.

Scott.

Scott: Curious... I paid no extra for my two-tone nib. It may not be an upgrade any more. :)

As you stated you bought your pen from pengallery who probably ordered it that way from Nakaya as a two-tone and bought a bunch of them to sell at a big discount.

If you were to buy your pen directly from Nakaya right now, on the order form you will see that the two-tone nib is an $80 upgrade and the single tone is still available as standard not an older nib as you also stated in your review.

As you can see, the sell in pengallery for Nakaya is over. all the price went back t normal. I think someone got lucky. :D

Damn me, i should have ordered one myself. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: