Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

Please take note of the previous suggestions to decant the ink into at least two [glass] bottles, which was refined to propose three bottles - taking into account the large volume, avoiding sediment and keeping the ink sound as time passes. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164772

Bye,

S1[/font]

I thought I'd add a bit of feedback (no pun) about ESSR. I picked up a bottle of this a few months ago, and was using it exclusively for most of that time, being swept away by enthusiasm for it. Have run into a small issue that has caused me (at least temporarily) to get swept away by another ink. That's me. All or nothing. :rolleyes: Of course, it's a great way to really get a feel for an ink - use it all the time, in all my pens for a few weeks, and I will get to know it pretty well...

Great things about ESSR, which I still LOVE - it really resists bleedthrough and showthrough, even on relatively lousy paper. That is COOL. It shades nicely, especially with a wetter pen. It morphs from blue black to gey-black with a hint of blue. Cool. I like that. It is permanent and waterproof. Love it! It is well behaved and looks good.

But - and this is why I re-posted your comment above, Sandy1 - I did find that if I wasn't absolutely rigorous about pen hygeine, cleaning out daily after use, the wetter pens slowly became medium, then dry. Further, is stained the heck out of my Pelikan M600 & M605 ink windows, and any converters I used it in (the satins resolved rather well with lots of flushing and leaving the pens loaded with water for a few days). Now, this may be ameliorated by filtering/decanting the ink so that there is less sediment, but really the only way to avoid it well would be strict flushing after use. That's a pain, to me.

In the balance - I still really like ESSR, and am more than glad to have a nice big bottle of it, and WILL continue to use it with the cautions above. But for now, I am on to Lamy's Blue-Black Iron gall ink, which doesn't seem to clog as much (so far).

OK. Back to work.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reaction.

I'm using ESSRI in the Tiger's Eye pen that you made for me, which is in my daily rotation, and I have been for the past week or ten days. Should I be flushing the nib every day to avoid clogging? I haven't had any problem so far.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reaction.

I'm using ESSRI in the Tiger's Eye pen that you made for me, which is in my daily rotation, and I have been for the past week or ten days. Should I be flushing the nib every day to avoid clogging? I haven't had any problem so far.

I'd suggest it. Or at least, frequently. PM sent.

Ken

I filled a Noodler's Rollerball pen with ESSRI. It writes with a nice thin light blue line that darkens slightly to a medium/dark blue. It's been in the pen a week, no oxidation or darkening of the liquid ink therein, no issue with the rollerball, either. I'm not too concerned about the metal, but I bought a few replacement tips.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Please take note of the previous suggestions to decant the ink into at least two [glass] bottles, which was refined to propose three bottles - taking into account the large volume, avoiding sediment and keeping the ink sound as time passes. http://www.fountainp...ost__p__2164772

Bye,

S1

I thought I'd add a bit of feedback (no pun) about ESSR. I picked up a bottle of this a few months ago, and was using it exclusively for most of that time, being swept away by enthusiasm for it. Have run into a small issue that has caused me (at least temporarily) to get swept away by another ink. That's me. All or nothing. :rolleyes: Of course, it's a great way to really get a feel for an ink - use it all the time, in all my pens for a few weeks, and I will get to know it pretty well...

Great things about ESSR, which I still LOVE - it really resists bleedthrough and showthrough, even on relatively lousy paper. That is COOL. It shades nicely, especially with a wetter pen. It morphs from blue black to gey-black with a hint of blue. Cool. I like that. It is permanent and waterproof. Love it! It is well behaved and looks good.

But - and this is why I re-posted your comment above, Sandy1 - I did find that if I wasn't absolutely rigorous about pen hygeine, cleaning out daily after use, the wetter pens slowly became medium, then dry. Further, is stained the heck out of my Pelikan M600 & M605 ink windows, and any converters I used it in (the satins resolved rather well with lots of flushing and leaving the pens loaded with water for a few days). Now, this may be ameliorated by filtering/decanting the ink so that there is less sediment, but really the only way to avoid it well would be strict flushing after use. That's a pain, to me.

In the balance - I still really like ESSR, and am more than glad to have a nice big bottle of it, and WILL continue to use it with the cautions above. But for now, I am on to Lamy's Blue-Black Iron gall ink, which doesn't seem to clog as much (so far).

OK. Back to work.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for adding your experience in using ESSRI. :thumbup:

I believe you have touched on some points that are only evident after using the ink in a few pens over an extended period on a dedicated basis. That is important to those who use a 'daily writer' ink+pen combo.

As for the suggested decanting of the ink, and to avoid sediment: To me that is a one-of, so if some care is not taken to avoid sediment at the start, then that could haunt subsequent performance of pens charged with that ink. I would rather start with the intention of avoiding identified problems.

As for maintenance of daily writers that are not sitting idle, I am in the practice of flushing & drying the pen on a weekly basis. And over the course of the week, the pen is often topped-up on a daily basis or refilled during the day. (The joys of a c/c pen!) I realise that many others do not use their pens in that way, so we have nuances of in-use handling as well. It is typical that I have one or more pens 'in the wash', so I do not consider flushing a pen to be a burden. Even to run a flush-fill cycle using sediment-free ink should allow things to run smoothly for days or weeks.

For stains, please refer to Post № 271 LINK and subsequent for suggestions to use dilute vinegar following a water flush and prior to use of any ammonia-based cleaning aids.

I have been keeping a Plumix inked-up with ESSRI, which is used sparingly for ephemera whist at home and for addressing outward post. So far, no problems at all - even though I rather expected some slow start-ups, needing a figure eight to wake-up the ink in the nib, that has not been the case. I do not suggest trading your M600/5 for a Plumix!

I think that over time, more of the wee nuances of pen and ink handling will come to light.

Bye,

S1

[/font]

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I filled a Noodler's Rollerball pen with ESSRI. It writes with a nice thin light blue line that darkens slightly to a medium/dark blue. It's been in the pen a week, no oxidation or darkening of the liquid ink therein, no issue with the rollerball, either. I'm not too concerned about the metal, but I bought a few replacement tips.

Hi,

Thanks for the diversion of ESSRI in RBs. I would not have thought of that, but why not give it a go!

I won't be trying ESSRI in a high-lighter though. ;)

Let us hope that Registrars who read this post continue to use ESSRI from fountain pens.

Bye,

S1

I ordered a bottle of ESSRI about a week ago and am very glad to come across the review. I managed to find a bottle distributor that will actually sell individual amber glass bottles and will post whether they are any good for holding ink (2 60ml bottles, 1 ~15ml bottle).

Thanks for the awesome review and can't wait to ink a pen with it!

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

http://jamesthebard.net/files/signature_small.jpg

I ordered a bottle of ESSRI about a week ago and am very glad to come across the review. I managed to find a bottle distributor that will actually sell individual amber glass bottles and will post whether they are any good for holding ink (2 60ml bottles, 1 ~15ml bottle).

Thanks for the awesome review and can't wait to ink a pen with it!

Hi,

You're welcome! Glad you liked the review. The extensive contributions of other members continues to greatly enrich this thread.

A good thing that you purchased some glass bottles for decanting, as I'm now seeing that ESSRI does throw a precipitate; and that precipitate is not easily roused, so sediment-free ink can be drawn with a bit of care - I don't take ESSRI hula dancing!

I look forward to a show & tell of your experience with ESSRI . . .

Bye,

S1

Well, I got the bottles and was 2 for 3 overall. The two 60ml amber glass bottles are perfect (think R&K bottles, only grown up). For $0.50 each, I don't think I can complain.

The ~15ml bottle, however, cannot accommodate any pen that I currently own (I tried them all). It was a 45 cent mistake.

Now if only the ink would show up...<*sigh*>

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

✄ snip ✄

If one wants to get as close as possible to Black, then I suggest trying to completely oxidise the ink prior to writing. ✄ snip ✄

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I tried some samples using pre-oxidised ESSRI to see if one could write with that ink so it would appear as if it had finished the 'curing' process. i.e. WYSIWYG

I drew about 2ml of ESSRI into a 5ml syringe, pulled the plunger up so there was about 3ml of air in the barrel, then laid it on its side. Every so often I expelled the air and drew in fresh air, aerating the ink, over a period of two weeks.

Now that three months have elapsed from the writing and scanning of the samples, I took another look at the originals - they continued to change over time.

That result seems to indicate that pre-oxidisation alone is not likely to allow WYSIWYG writing. As we have seen, passage of time is but one factor in determining estimating the final appearance of the ink.

Perhaps months of pre-oxidisation and/or more vigourous aeration could produce the intended result, but I shall leave that to those who may be so inclined.

I will not be investing more time and effort to produce and post scans of an indeterminate result, or take your time to view those.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

It's a good day when you get three packages all relating to inks and nibs. A medium and 1.1mm stub from TWSBI for the ol' Diamond 540, the Ink Drop samples from Goulets (interesting colors), and a lone white plastic envelope containing a certain bottle of iron gall ink from across the pond.

Decanted the ink into my two glass bottles (thanks for the heads up) and I started cleaning out the Lamy Al-Star in preparation...

...and I can see what the big deal about the ink is. The final(ish) color is very much to my liking with a lot of character. Also, it's fun to watch it turn from a baby blue to blue-black as I write across the page.

Really, really like the color.

Update on mine: Got my ink yesterday and filled my Homo Sapiens. This ink REALLY tames this pen out. Makes the nib write like a Medium (which it is supposed to be.) As others have stated, every paper reacts differently. Some make the ink turn black VERY quickly, where others can take hours or longer. I love it! I think this ink is going to find a permanent home in my pens. Also - VERY distinct smell. Im not sure if they used Phenol in the ink as the fungicide, but it sure smells "chemically." One of my cats smelled the open bottle and ran off in a hurry. :P

EDIT: Forgot name of pen in intro.

THought I'd provide an update on my ESSRI + HS combo.

The pen has been flushed only once, and has contstantly had ink running through it. After 4-5 fills, I am happy to report no issues at all. The ink is consistent and predictable, and VERY well behaved under most circumstances. As the pen reaches empty, it tends to start to skip, though. Easy to fix - Refill the pen! I love this ink, and it makes me love the pen even more. Woohoo!

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

It's a good day when you get three packages all relating to inks and nibs. A medium and 1.1mm stub from TWSBI for the ol' Diamond 540, the Ink Drop samples from Goulets (interesting colors), and a lone white plastic envelope containing a certain bottle of iron gall ink from across the pond.

Decanted the ink into my two glass bottles (thanks for the heads up) and I started cleaning out the Lamy Al-Star in preparation...

...and I can see what the big deal about the ink is. The final(ish) color is very much to my liking with a lot of character. Also, it's fun to watch it turn from a baby blue to blue-black as I write across the page.

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your first impressions of ESSRI!

The rapid change of its appearance does add a bit extra to the writing experience. :)

I take this opportunity to reiterate the desirability of pen hygiene before charging the pen with ESSRI.

Also, I proposed that the TWSBI may well benefit from being disassembled for thorough cleansing. LINK Perhaps that practice would also extend to other pens, such as the Noodler's Ahab, and pens such as the Safari, Parker 45 & 75 whose nibs can be easily removed from the feeds, an well as pens whose nib+feed assembly can be removed from the section, such as some Esterbrooks & the M-series Pelikans.

Let us know how things progress . . .

Bye,

S1

Just quick note regarding my experience with ESSRI...

I bought this ink last summer and I just love it: the colour, shading, flow rate, poor-paper friendliness, water resistance, etc. are all wonderful.

Although I'm moderately experienced with i-g ink usage (having used Lamy, MB, R&K), I have had to up my pen-cleansing game.

I ran ESSRI (with daily use) in a red Lamy Safari with a 1.1 steel nib. Filled the cartridge 2 or 3 times over about 8 weeks without rinsing/cleaning (I know, my bad).

Cleaning with plain water didn't completely remove the stains on the section end, so I pulled the nib & feed for a thorough soak. The inside of the section and back of the nib were heavily stained (I didn't take any photos), so I soaked in water and white vinegar & successfully cleaned with a cotton swab. The feed showed no signs of deposits/clogging.

I will continue to confidently use ESSRI, but lesson learned to be more vigilant with this ink. In future I'll likely confine its use to a dedicated i-g pen or those that I can easily disassemble for thorough cleaning.

Just my own personal experience and not an indictment...

Edited by delphi303

I bought this ink last summer and I just love it: the colour, shading, flow rate, poor-paper friendliness, water resistance, etc. are all wonderful.

Although I'm moderately experienced with i-g ink usage (having used Lamy, MB, R&K), I have had to up my pen-cleansing game.

I ran ESSRI (with daily use) in a red Lamy Safari with a 1.1 steel nib. Filled the cartridge 2 or 3 times over about 8 weeks without rinsing/cleaning (I know, my bad).

Cleaning with plain water didn't completely remove the stains on the section end, so I pulled the nib & feed for a thorough soak. The inside of the section and back of the nib were heavily stained (I didn't take any photos), so I soaked in water and white vinegar & successfully cleaned with a cotton swab. The feed showed no signs of deposits/clogging.

I will continue to confidently use ESSRI, but lesson learned to be more vigilant with this ink. In future I'll likely confine its use to a dedicated i-g pen or those that I can easily disassemble for thorough cleaning.

If you use it with a converter instead of refilling the cartridge, you can avoid this issue by cycling the ink load back into the bottle every couple of weeks instead of the syringe-based flush affair, which usually takes longer.

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

Hi,

The rapid change of its appearance does add a bit extra to the writing experience. :)

I take this opportunity to reiterate the desirability of pen hygiene before charging the pen with ESSRI.

Also, I proposed that the TWSBI may well benefit from being disassembled for thorough cleansing. LINK Perhaps that practice would also extend to other pens, such as the Noodler's Ahab, and pens such as the Safari, Parker 45 & 75 whose nibs can be easily removed from the feeds, an well as pens whose nib+feed assembly can be removed from the section, such as some Esterbrooks & the M-series Pelikans.

Bye,

S1

I inked up three pens with ESSRI and found that the Lamy Al-Star was the best pen for the job. The Edison Nouveaux Premiere (F nib) wrote well with it except on Rhodia No 18 (a bit weird) and the TWSBI Diamond 540 (M nib) did a decent job as well. It wasn't quite as wet as I had hoped in the TWSBI, but that's where the Lamy Al-Star came in. It's a very wet pen and the ESSRI tamed it along with putting enough ink on the paper to make the ink stand out.

Update on mine: Got my ink yesterday and filled my Homo Sapiens. This ink REALLY tames this pen out. Makes the nib write like a Medium (which it is supposed to be.) As others have stated, every paper reacts differently. Some make the ink turn black VERY quickly, where others can take hours or longer. I love it! I think this ink is going to find a permanent home in my pens. Also - VERY distinct smell. Im not sure if they used Phenol in the ink as the fungicide, but it sure smells "chemically." One of my cats smelled the open bottle and ran off in a hurry. :P

EDIT: Forgot name of pen in intro.

THought I'd provide an update on my ESSRI + HS combo.

The pen has been flushed only once, and has contstantly had ink running through it. After 4-5 fills, I am happy to report no issues at all. The ink is consistent and predictable, and VERY well behaved under most circumstances. As the pen reaches empty, it tends to start to skip, though. Easy to fix - Refill the pen! I love this ink, and it makes me love the pen even more. Woohoo!

Hi,

Thanks for keeping us well informed. :thumbup:

I'm happy to read that things are going well. :)

I think that as you are using a new pen, there is less risk exposure to problems due to 'legacy' inks whose residue may have accumulated over time. Yet it is no reason to dial back the hygiene regimen you've set.

There's lots of wee personal nuances that crop-up under the suggestions to 'cleanse your pen thoroughly' and 'use the pen on a regular basis'.

But do watch for precipitate forming in the ink bottles over time - the initial decanting is just that. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2330255

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your extended experiences with ESSRI! :thumbup:

I'd not consider those who'd use refilled cartridges! :o

So, certainly do-able, so as mentioned by Ad_Astra in Post № 294, the use of a converter to flush is a good thing, (especially when travelling light and moving fast), though I still prefer the infant-size nose/ear aspirator bulb to clean pens taken off the duty roster.

And don't forget the inside of the cap! I've noticed a few flecks on the inside of the Plumix cap, which rinse away.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Bye,

S1

I inked up three pens with ESSRI and found that the Lamy Al-Star was the best pen for the job. The Edison Nouveaux Premiere (F nib) wrote well with it except on Rhodia No 18 (a bit weird) and the TWSBI Diamond 540 (M nib) did a decent job as well. It wasn't quite as wet as I had hoped in the TWSBI, but that's where the Lamy Al-Star came in. It's a very wet pen and the ESSRI tamed it along with putting enough ink on the paper to make the ink stand out.

Hi,

More on-the-spot reportage as events unfold! :)

I am curious as to what was 'a bit weird' when matched with the Edison+Rhodia combo - beyond the usual 'expect the unexpected' with ESSRI. Nib or feed/flow or absorbency or ???

When first using ESSRI I was switching pens & papers without waiting for the ink to cure. Even though I've become accustomed to the I-G dip pen ink from Deatrimentus that is without dye, I hadn't anticipated similar change from an FP ink. Getting 'The Look' is very much a matter of personal preference, which this ink supports to a sometimes baffling extent.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Hi,

More on-the-spot reportage as events unfold! :)

I am curious as to what was 'a bit weird' when matched with the Edison+Rhodia combo - beyond the usual 'expect the unexpected' with ESSRI. Nib or feed/flow or absorbency or ???

When first using ESSRI I was switching pens & papers without waiting for the ink to cure. Even though I've become accustomed to the I-G dip pen ink from Deatrimentus that is without dye, I hadn't anticipated similar change from an FP ink. Getting 'The Look' is very much a matter of personal preference, which this ink supports to a sometimes baffling extent.

Bye,

S1

The flow was a bit dry and had a tendency to skip on my Rhodia No 18. Not sure why as the other inks (IG included) seem to work very well with it. In the end, though, it didn't matter. I left the ESSRI in the Lamy Al-Star and inked the Edison with Verdigris. The Edison had no issues with the Moleskine, Picadilly, or the other random assortment of papers I threw at it.

Having not used BSB, I've never thought of any ink that needs to be cleaned out of a pen daily, nor weekly.

I normally have ESSR in one of my pens, right now a Pelikan 120 gold plated F.

I did a 46 paper survey with some 17 nibs of this and that width and flex, Nail, regular, springy, semi-flex, maxi-semi-flex/flexi and easy full flexible nibs.

Some papers turned quickly, others slower. Some went gray on this or that paper; depending on the nib.

A number had a blue tinge, that stayed for a week. Many turned darker than I then wanted.

That is still a blue-black, if one looks hard enough at it. Some are gray...still.

My 35 year old Eaton Corrasable 16 pound typewriter is the only one that went on blue and stayed blue. Though after some 2 or 3 months it appears to me, the blue there too has darkened.It is still more towards the blue side.

What surprised me; is some of the curing to 'black' cured back to a blue-black.???? Could be Lapis was right, and it was bluer than I then wished, but 'could not see'.

Now I am much happier with the ink, than before in I wanted a Blue-Black, not a Black-Blue, or a Black which many seem to want.

Many people seem to have different results. The nib, width and flex, and if it's Wet or Dry makes a difference, on many papers. It is a paper driven ink.

I'd complained about it being too black, now I see more blue, on more papers.

Then again, I'd only checked the papers after two weeks, where some got darker than I then wanted.

Could be I was mistaken to how dark it changed, in I liked the bluer tinge of it in the beginning.

I like the tone I got with many of the nibs more now than I did after the original two week curing.

Another fella Lapis wanted it to turn black and it was too blue for him, and I wanted some Blue to my blue-black.

We exchanged ink bottles, and both of us got what we gave away. :headsmack:

I have two maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nibs in Fine that I used. One turned up rather gray on most papers (Osmia 883 F, the other much more blue-black; a Rupp F nib in a German piston 'Clipper'. The gray has much to do if the nib is dry or wet as far as I can see, now that I took a look at all 46 pages. And am looking for the gray, that I don't think I looked at much when I did the survey.

My Cross Townsend nail M was gray on most papers, could be that is a dry nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.