Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

Be careful with piston fillers -- I have had an ink chamber badly scratched when some precipitated out iron particles got caught betw. the filler seal and the barrel. I would suggest to use this ink only in pens that can be completedly taken apart w/o operating the filling mechanism for cleaning.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I ordered one, too. I had ignored this ink because I thought it would be needlessly expensive to order it from the UK, but I finally checked, and they do make it easy and cheap to get, all things considered.

This will be my first experience with an iron gall ink. I don't want any part of the precipitate issue, so I plan to dedicate a pen to it.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Benevolent Badger Blue, well it's on my avoid at all cost inks...especially in there are so few forgers in Germany. We use bank transfer over here, not checks.

I imagine the Warden series could make trouble too.

I'm not the cleanest of clean...vinegar, ammonia-water and soap water and water, when I cleaned my piston pens.....some 17 nibs (could have been a C/C or a lever pen also; instead of all pistons, but most were.) if I remember correctly from when I tested ESSR on 47 papers. I just cleaned them with water, but I use regular non supersaturated inks mostly, in I like shading.

ESSR worked fine with flexible nibs, I got some very nice outlined letters with them and that ink.

On a fancy L, I got a little tic-tac-toe crossing line at the fat part of the bottom loop.

It took a while but all the papers but the vintage Eaton's 16 pound typewriter paper finally turned black...It remained blue.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Just ordered a bottle of this :)

Hi,

Welcome to the adventure!

This thread has grown a fair bit, and we have a trove of ideas, experiences & suggestions that give a good idea of what you're getting into - ESSRI isn't your average ink.

I look forward to reading of your experience with this ink.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Yeah, I ordered one, too. I had ignored this ink because I thought it would be needlessly expensive to order it from the UK, but I finally checked, and they do make it easy and cheap to get, all things considered.

This will be my first experience with an iron gall ink. I don't want any part of the precipitate issue, so I plan to dedicate a pen to it.

Hi,

As ESSRI will be your first I-G ink, I hope you find it highly rewarding. :)

I've been a heavy user of I-G inks for years, and they never fail to impress me. If you've taken a moment to peruse this thread you should be well aware that I-G inks can be a bit tricky, and ESSRI can even be mischievous.

I support the idea of dedicating a pen to ESSRI, even though my experience indicates that is not necessary. One reason to dedicate a pen to ESSRI is that adds another 'constant' to the ink+pen+paper trio, which will allow you to get a better handle on how the ink+paper interact.

I look forward to hearing of your experience with ESSRI.

Bye,

S1

Benevolent Badger Blue, well it's on my avoid at all cost inks...especially in there are so few forgers in Germany. We use bank transfer over here, not checks.

I imagine the Warden series could make trouble too.

I'm not the cleanest of clean...vinegar, ammonia-water and soap water and water, when I cleaned my piston pens.....some 17 nibs (could have been a C/C or a lever pen also; instead of all pistons, but most were.) if I remember correctly from when I tested ESSR on 47 papers. I just cleaned them with water, but I use regular non supersaturated inks mostly, in I like shading.

ESSR worked fine with flexible nibs, I got some very nice outlined letters with them and that ink.

On a fancy L, I got a little tic-tac-toe crossing line at the fat part of the bottom loop.

It took a while but all the papers but the vintage Eaton's 16 pound typewriter paper finally turned black...It remained blue.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your ongoing experience with ESSRI!

I'm glad you were able to get the results you wanted on the Eaton paper! Too bad it is discontinued. :(

Have you tried any of the mixes to put the Blue back in Blue-Black?

Bye,

S1

___ ___

Off-Topic:

Ah, Noodler's Benevolent Badger Blue. I took a quick look at that ink HERE.

IMHO it is an impressive ink, with a unique performance profile, that garnered the tag of being [very] high maintenance due to its persistence. (I was also asked to do an adhesion test on plastic & aluminium foil, LINK)

As ever, I try to enable inky enjoyment, and there are some inks that need somewhat unusual handling to enjoy them without misadventure. NBBBl is another ink that I would support dedicating an easily maintained pen to its use, especially if is a daily writer ink that would remain in a pen for an extended period.

Off-Topic:

[/font][/font] Ah, Noodler's Benevolent Badger Blue. I took a quick look at that ink HERE.

IMHO it is an impressive ink, with a unique performance profile, that garnered the tag of being [very] high maintenance due to its persistence. (I was also asked to do an adhesion test on plastic & aluminium foil, LINK)

As ever, I try to enable inky enjoyment, and there are some inks that need somewhat unusual handling to enjoy them without misadventure. NBBBl is another ink that I would support dedicating an easily maintained pen to its use, especially if is a daily writer ink that would remain in a pen for an extended period.

I use Badger Blue a lot as well; and in a C/C pen, there are no real worries. Plus, some of the money you spend on this inks goes to an organization working on cancer cures. So I give those Badger and Blade guys a big thumbs-up and likewise the ink.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I received it today and quite like it. I've added it to my list of favorites. It seems well-matched to the smooth, wet-writing medium-broad Jinhao 159 that I've paired it with. I've not yet noticed any tendency to dry out quickly on the nib with this pen. I try not to tempt inks to do that, anyway, but it happens with some inks as I pause for some few tens of seconds to think, notably with Bad Blue Heron and Liberty's Elysium.

I received it today and quite like it. I've added it to my list of favorites. It seems well-matched to the smooth, wet-writing medium-broad Jinhao 159 that I've paired it with. I've not yet noticed any tendency to dry out quickly on the nib with this pen. I try not to tempt inks to do that, anyway, but it happens with some inks as I pause for some few tens of seconds to think, notably with Bad Blue Heron and Liberty's Elysium.

When did you order? I ordered on the 30th and still have not received. I emailed them and they claim I should get it today.

When did you order? I ordered on the 30th and still have not received. I emailed them and they claim I should get it today.

29th. They shipped on the 30th, IIRC. I emailed and asked at some point because their system sent no confirmations, only PayPal's payment confirmation. I don't know how they can know when you'd receive it given the variables of customs and holiday mail saturation, but any day now is probably about the size of it.

29th. They shipped on the 30th, IIRC. I emailed and asked at some point because their system sent no confirmations, only PayPal's payment confirmation. I don't know how they can know when you'd receive it given the variables of customs and holiday mail saturation, but any day now is probably about the size of it.

They claim it was shipped on the 3rd. They said if I don't get a bottle today they'll send out a replacement, which is very nice!

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know your first impressions of this ink, and the pen you've paired with ESSRI. :thumbup:

I'm glad that you're not experiencing nib tip dry-out. It's one of those little things that can make a difference, especially when one wants a clean start to a line exactly where the nib first touches the paper. e.g. tiny detail. (Sailor sei-boku may be preferred for such a finicky task.)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

Great review :thumbup: I do like the way you present your findings. I am sure I have a bottle of this somewhere, if I recall correctly it was given to me in a large 110ml plastic bottle with just a white label on it describing the contents. Must dig it out and give it a go.

p.s. Do more ink reviews please.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Great review :thumbup: I do like the way you present your findings. I am sure I have a bottle of this somewhere, if I recall correctly it was given to me in a large 110ml plastic bottle with just a white label on it describing the contents. Must dig it out and give it a go.

p.s. Do more ink reviews please.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I hope you can retrieve it from wherever it has gone to ground, then share your experience.

BTW, more inks are enqueued for the review process, (122 posted to date.)

Bye,

S1

I've been using this ink for about a year and seem to keep it in one of my pens at all times. It has always been a quick starter for me, doesn't feather, and watching the differing interactions of the ink on various papers is a mini-adventure. I even enjoy the distinctive odor.

Michael

I have used ESSRI with two pens so far, Visconti HS and Pelikan M800. Even if the ink behaves superbly from both pens (wet, no nib dry out, no starting issues) I decided about a year ago to use this ink solely with my M800. For a year now, the combo ESSRI+M800 is a winner in all respects. And with very minimal maintenance.

Had one hell of a hard time to get the ESSRI from the HS though.... Diluted white vinegar worked the best, but cleaning cycles with water and ammonia solution were quite imperative. There was always a yellowish sediment coming out. Due to the nature of the power filler mechanism, I cannot be sure that I got it all out but, really, I did try my best and hardest to do so.

Aris

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

Excellent review Sandy1. Thanks for making me aware of ESSRI!

I am absolutely loving this ink at the moment. I'm a huge blue-black fan and this one is a shade that I really like. I especially like it in medium to broad nibs, where the shading has a chance to show through. My new Lamy Safari fine is having a bit of trouble with it, but I'm pretty sure a tine adjustment is in order for that nib in general.

I'm currently having fun mixing it with some leftover Lamy turquoise to get a nice dark teal color as well.

I am absolutely loving this ink at the moment. I'm a huge blue-black fan and this one is a shade that I really like. I especially like it in medium to broad nibs, where the shading has a chance to show through. My new Lamy Safari fine is having a bit of trouble with it, but I'm pretty sure a tine adjustment is in order for that nib in general.

I'm currently having fun mixing it with some leftover Lamy turquoise to get a nice dark teal color as well.

Hello MukkyPuppy.

Glad you are enjoying the ink. You might want to be cautious with mixing ESSRI with other inks. Some inks (even non-iron gall inks), don't mix well together, but with iron gall inks like ESSRI, you may/may cause precipitations that could clog your pen. Some people have first done a test mix in a bottle or vial and then observed it for a few days to make sure it doesn't interact in a bad way before loading into a pen.

Michael

Hello MukkyPuppy.

Glad you are enjoying the ink. You might want to be cautious with mixing ESSRI with other inks. Some inks (even non-iron gall inks), don't mix well together, but with iron gall inks like ESSRI, you may/may cause precipitations that could clog your pen. Some people have first done a test mix in a bottle or vial and then observed it for a few days to make sure it doesn't interact in a bad way before loading into a pen.

Michael

So far (3 days) a 3:1 ESSRI :turquoise is precipitate free. But it won't be left in a pen until next week, just to be safe.