Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

I've been using this ink for about a year and seem to keep it in one of my pens at all times. It has always been a quick starter for me, doesn't feather, and watching the differing interactions of the ink on various papers is a mini-adventure. I even enjoy the distinctive odor.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this ink!

It seems that quite a few people are using this ink on a regular basis, so we're getting a sense of its overall performance based on use over time - not just a handful of samples.

I hope to hear of your experience with ESSRI as time passes.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this thread!

I have ordered a bottle of this ink.

I enjoy Pharmacists inks and for my dip pens I use Higgins eternal as well so I am looking forward to another IG for the collection.

and it is so cheap!

I have used ESSRI with two pens so far, Visconti HS and Pelikan M800. Even if the ink behaves superbly from both pens (wet, no nib dry out, no starting issues) I decided about a year ago to use this ink solely with my M800. For a year now, the combo ESSRI+M800 is a winner in all respects. And with very minimal maintenance.

Had one hell of a hard time to get the ESSRI from the HS though.... Diluted white vinegar worked the best, but cleaning cycles with water and ammonia solution were quite imperative. There was always a yellowish sediment coming out. Due to the nature of the power filler mechanism, I cannot be sure that I got it all out but, really, I did try my best and hardest to do so.

Aris

Hi Aris,

So nice to hear from you again!

I'm glad that this ink has become a staple, and is a great match with your Pelikan. :)

Your experience with clean-up of the Homo Sapiens is a bit bothersome. I don't have intimate knowledge of the power filler mechanism, but it certainly seems to require patience and vigilance in its maintenance. As the the stuff coming from the pen is "yellow-ish", it seems to me that there was some inky residue in the pen prior to using the BlBk ESSRI; and that ESSRI acted as a pen cleaner, (helping to dissolve that residue), but it may also have reacted with that residue to create a sediment. If you've used the dilute vinegar (acetic acid) rinse to remove the I-G, rinsed with water, then given an ammonia+surfacant treatment, flushed with water, and are still having stuff coming from the pen, I would try a cleaner that is used for technical / draughting pens, such as rapidographs. Until the pen is clean, I wouldn't let it dry-out, so keep it full of water, or you may also choose to charge the HS with a 'safe' ink, then just keep using it.

(I often use a [discontinued] Parker Quink with SOLV-X as a 'cleaning' ink for pens I've found in the wild that are reluctant to come completely clean - perhaps writing & handling also helps with cleaning.)

Bye,

S1

___ ___

See also : Limit to Soaking?

Edited by Sandy1

Excellent review Sandy1. Thanks for making me aware of ESSRI!

I am absolutely loving this ink at the moment. I'm a huge blue-black fan and this one is a shade that I really like. I especially like it in medium to broad nibs, where the shading has a chance to show through. My new Lamy Safari fine is having a bit of trouble with it, but I'm pretty sure a tine adjustment is in order for that nib in general.

I'm currently having fun mixing it with some leftover Lamy turquoise to get a nice dark teal color as well.

Hi,

You're welcome! And thanks for your kind words! :)

I'm glad you're having such a fine time with ESSRI. I also prefer to use the BlBk I-G inks with the wider nibs, not only because of the attractive result, but also to off-set the rather low lubricity when used on laid or bond/wove papers.

To overcome the trouble with the new Safari, I suggest giving it a thorough cleaning to remove any oils and particles that may remain after manufacture & assembly: slip the nib off the feed & remove the cartridge. (Some also suggest removing the feed from the section, but I've found that is rarely necessary.) I've a Charcoal Safari with the Black F nib that runs lean and gives a very narrow line - both are signs that I should adjust the nib, but I rather like the way it writes (!), and I have another plain F nib that writes as expected.

Ah, mixing ESSRI: I've done a few mixes that worked-out quite well indeed, so its certainly do-able. But realise that the risk exposure to an unsafe mix is greater than mixing simple safe aniline dye-based inks.

• My ESSRI mix recipes 1 - 8 can be found HERE , and others in subsequent Posts.
  • The manner in which I check for a 'safe' mix is detailed in the Gal-Lexi mix thread HERE

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Needing to sign legal documents, so grabbed my ESSR,

The problem with having just about enough inks is in my case, is asking my self which are permanent, in I go for shading inks mostly.

Having re-read this whole thread the day before yesterday, I knew I had to ink a pen with ESSR.

I have three Geha 790's...two with the first cap, 60s-66, one semi-flex 14 K KM and one 'flexi' (to my surprise; expected a semi-flex) 14 K EF.

The second cap, is from @ '59-60, with the true three rings of the 790. It is a semi-flex 14 K M also. More a F-M than a M even for vintage.

For semi-flex nibs the Geha 790 is a good pen, not too expensive if bought on German Ebay. PM me if you want a German cheat sheet so you can navigate around in a foreign tongue. German Ebay is cheaper than US for German pens.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/B6FmHUwBWkKGrHqEOKiMEyVVGG6IBMwIK6RCg_12-1.jpg

This did clean up better than the ebay picture.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/img8414j.jpg

I had fun at the post office...they 'know' me there the pen nut...showed off the pen and how ESSR changed color. :yikes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've dedicated a CS Montague for this ink now. It's wet so gives a great effect and the thin barrel makes it almost seem like a dip pen at times. Such fun!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would use a light solution of bleach to clean my pens. However, I would avoid celluloid pens.

The bleach tend to instantaneously dissolve the dried out particles of ig ink especially the back coating between the nib and feed from months of use. But then again, I only clean my pens once every 4-6 months and these pens are writing with no other than Lamy BB.

Also, I would like to know the wetness of ESSRI vs MB blue black, is it wetter or drier than than the MB ink.

I've dedicated a CS Montague for this ink now. It's wet so gives a great effect and the thin barrel makes it almost seem like a dip pen at times. Such fun!

Hi,

I've tried ESSRI in a wet pen with a Fude nib - an interesting adventure.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Personally I would use a light solution of bleach to clean my pens. However, I would avoid celluloid pens.

The bleach tend to instantaneously dissolve the dried out particles of ig ink especially the back coating between the nib and feed from months of use. But then again, I only clean my pens once every 4-6 months and these pens are writing with no other than Lamy BB.

Also, I would like to know the wetness of ESSRI vs MB blue black, is it wetter or drier than than the MB ink.

Hi,

While I have not tried using a diluted bleach to clean pens, I would be concerned about determining compatibility with materials used to construct and assemble the pen, including adhesives; mixing the correct dilution; determining a safe exposure time (if any); and the ease of flushing the bleach from the pen to avoid cross-contamination.

It should be noted that bleach will corrode steel.

A dilute solution of vinegar was mentioned as an effective and quite safe means to remove any I-G residue, which was proven in practice. Post № 273 onward

EDIT - to add: Member Ron Z, Co-Leader of the Repair Q&A Forum, strongly opposes the use of bleach: READ THIS

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

. . . ✄

Hi,

I've found that ESSRI has slightly greater flow than Montblanc Midnight Blue.

Bye,

S1

• 4 months later...

ESS are pleased to learn, through your forum, that our Ink is giving so much pleasure as well as creating a bit of an adventure!.

Perhaps I can clear up a few questions.

Our ink is despatched in a Post Office approved bottle (hence the fact that the bottle is used by others). Our lable does not show the word "Ecclesiastical", just ESS Registrars Ink. Alternatively, we can supply this ink in bottles labelled "ESS IRON GALL INK".

Temperature has an influence in the drying time, oxidation and blackening.

I could clear up some other questions about our ink but I quite like our ink to remain a bit misterious, unpredictable and unique.

Best wishes to all, Vic Stevenson (ESS)

P.S. And, thanks Sandy.

Thank you, Vic / @essregistrarsink, from another fan who always have a pen filled with this one.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

For those of us who like to kick it old school, thank you Vic.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

ESS are pleased to learn, through your forum, that our Ink is giving so much pleasure as well as creating a bit of an adventure!.

Perhaps I can clear up a few questions.

Our ink is despatched in a Post Office approved bottle (hence the fact that the bottle is used by others). Our lable does not show the word "Ecclesiastical", just ESS Registrars Ink. Alternatively, we can supply this ink in bottles labelled "ESS IRON GALL INK".

Temperature has an influence in the drying time, oxidation and blackening.

I could clear up some other questions about our ink but I quite like our ink to remain a bit misterious, unpredictable and unique.

Best wishes to all, Vic Stevenson (ESS)

P.S. And, thanks Sandy.

Hi,

You're welcome!

While I appreciate your desire to have ESSRI "remain a bit misterious, unpredictable and unique", there are a few practical concerns that have been raised:

Apparently the ink should be used within 12 - 18 months.* I've suggested decanting into topped-up glass bottles, and to use a separate 'filler bottle' to avoid contamination of the main volume of ink. Given that most Members won't use all 110ml of ink within that time, what more can be done to extend the shelf-life to several years?** Also, given the vagaries of ink storage, how does one determine if the ink is not fit for use?

Some Members are concerned about the acidity of the ink, so would like to know the pH value.

I look forward to your kind reply.

Bye,

S1

__ __

* See Post № 75 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/?p=2170673

** See Post № 89 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/?p=2174207

Edited by Sandy1

12-18 months?! Good Lord, I've still got about 1/4 of my first bottle I ordered and haven't even looked at the second bottle, and this is the ink I use 98% of the time and have been for over a year! LOLOL

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

12-18 months?! Good Lord, I've still got about 1/4 of my first bottle I ordered and haven't even looked at the second bottle, and this is the ink I use 98% of the time and have been for over a year! LOLOL

W i d e r n i b s ! ! !

What no nitrogen filled room to store your ink in?

MY B&M repeats the same for MB and Pelikan or any other inks....use it or lose it....sort of like power.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sandy1,

I recently received a postcard written with this ink. The price with shipping is very tempting. All in all, thanks for the wonderful review. :thumbup:

Still one of my favorites, but it's been long since I filled with it and accidentally inked up a pen that was empty of ink but not flushed since using a Waterman ink. Hoping it doesn't explode. So far, no issues.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain