Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

So very distraught at the news that Sailor is discontinuing Sky High. :'(

Just one question about the photos mhphoto: Do you drop more ink on a line after it has dried? I ask because normal writing doesn't show much sheen for some of those inks.

My most recent examples are actually straight from my Master Ink Catelog (*dun*dun*dun*!). The paper is in a Rhodia notebook, and I used a Q-tip to make the swabs, dropping more ink in the area where sheen's the most prominent.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

Not too good photos... :blush:
Some very little sheen with Kingdom Note Tanna Japonensis, but the shading is awesome.
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140615/P1190317_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

And surprising amount of sheen with Iroshuzuku Take-sumi. The pen was resting for a while....

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140615/P1190299_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Someone may have already said this (I haven't read the entire thread) but Diamine Majestic Blue has a beautiful reddish sheen on Clairefontaine paper.

Scroll to the top of this page, there is a sample of Diamine Majestic Blue.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Akkerman Shocking Blue has a massive red sheen and shades as well. Perfect stuff, that.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

A bit of a surprise for me:
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140628/P1190506_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140628/P1190505_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

J.Herbin Perle Noire

And some not too surprising
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140628/P1190512_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Yama-dori
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140628/P1190510_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Yama-dori - 4B - Perle Noire
The Yama-dori doesn't show it's sheen now, because of the posting nib.

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1405091748__image.jpg

Ishida (Sailor) Hakodate Gagome (Brown Algae) on light green vellum.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a picture at the moment, but Diamine Peach Haze has sheen. I got it to come out with my Noodler's Ahab as well as some flexible dip pen nibs (Hunt drawing nib, especially.) That ink shines all day!

Someone mentioned in the previous comments about Private Reserve Avocado, and I haven't been able to get any sheen with a pen. There seems to be a bit of reddish sheen on dried ink on the ink bottle's threads, but I can't get it to show up on any of my papers so far.

Looking through some old ink tests, I found a bit of sheen from a Manuscript Blue cartridge! Just a teeny, tiny bit of red sheen. Sailor Jentle Peach seems like it might have a bit of either green or gold that collects at the edges of wet areas. The same with J. Herbin Rouille D'Anchre. But the last two are pretty subtle, at least in my tests.

And of course, I have a couple of inks that are obvious shaders, already pictured throughout this topic. Diamine Wild Strawberry, Iroshizuku Yama-budo and Syo-ro, Black Swan in English Roses.. All lovely! But this thread has made me further realize that I need almost every Diamine and Iroshizuku ink now. Yep. Need 'em. Not just want, need.

@mhphoto: Massive! Impressive, thanks. Now we need another thread: Inks without a sheen :-O

ROFLOL!!!.. great minds and all....

I was thinking... is there an ink out there that DOESN'T SHEEN for mhphoto ????...... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Although some great photos have already been posted of the Pelikan Edelstein Topaz sheen, I just ordered a bunch of paper and was playing around with some new pen/paper/ink combos and I could not believe how much of a difference it made esp vs using my usual Rhodia graph paper. (I’m still not sold on this ink as a daily writer for me because it's not as wet or as vibrant of a blue as I would have liked but I have to admit the sheen is pretty cool!)

post-113356-0-88120900-1408853728.jpg

The combo above uses Tomoe River Paper, and a Pilot Custon 74 B nib ground to a smooth stub with a wet flow by Mr. Masuyama. (+holding the paper really close to a light bulb :P)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not gone through every page of this thread and perhaps this ink has already been mentioned but I was writing with Diamine Majestic Blue last night and noticed this lovely metallic pink showing up on the edges of the blue and thought how pretty it looked. I started another thread mentioning this and was told it was called "sheen" and re-directed to this thread.

So here's my little sample:

post-107306-0-06453500-1411163654.jpg

Ok, I see now that Majestic Blue was mentioned several times! Sorry. I was just excited with my find and should have taken the time to read this thread more thoroughly first!

So many nice pictures of sheeny inks!

No apology necessary - you have beautiful handwriting!

Thank you very much Sinistral. :-)

I feel like going through my whole stash now to find out if I have any more with this special effect which I hadn't really noticed before. It seems to me to need to have quite a wet flow going which was the case with the particular pen I was using with Majestic Blue.

Edited by Callique

It has a lot to do with the properties of the paper, too. Try using vellum paper, and you will be amazed.