Cyber6

Robert Oster Signature Inks - Quick review of 11 lovely inks

You can find Part 1 here. :D
You can find Part 2 here. :D
You can find Part 3 here. :D

fpn_1470234989__ro_pack08.jpg

fpn_1470235002__ro_pack09a.jpg

fpn_1470235011__ro_pack10.jpg

If this is the first time you are reading about Robert Oster Signature Inks, he is a lovely Australian gentleman and produces high quality Fountain Pen Ink. You can find him in eBay-AU: http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/osteralia

For international orders, please check: www.robertoster.com.au

So we are doing Part 4 !!! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

This time we'll take a look at the following inks..

• Yellow Sunrise
  • Direct Sun
  • Red Orange
  • Ruby (Exclusive to Sakura)
  • Aqua
  • Torquay
  • Marine
  • Blue Sea
  • Viola
  • Purple Rock
  • Summer Storm (added at the last minute)

BLACK nRED

These inks flowed quite well on this paper… They get along quite well… no bleed thru, no show thru and no feathering whatsoever.. I use a wet flex broad, my pen dumps a bunch of ink and the behavior was flawless.

Yellow Sunrise: Very BRIGHT.. Very Yellow!!!. Big Bird would be proud.. :P ... If you all remember, I am a big fan of Yellow Sunset… especially because it darkens inside the pen. If Yellow Sunrise does the same it will be fantastic. If not, well.. a full page of this is color is kind of hard on the eyes. For the BRIGHT and LOUD color lovers out there.

Direct Sun: If Red-Orange is a reddish-orange, Direct Sun is an orangey-red.. LOL... :lol: … Interesting and definitely a handsome color. I much prefer this kind of hues on cream paper… it makes them look vintage.

fpn_1470235029__ro_redblack14.jpg

Red Orange: This is a lovely color.. I am an orange lover, so chances were I was going to like this.. This is a more subtle hue that I was expecting. Beside Peach, this one is more saturated… but not as bright as Orange. I can see a full page written with Red Orange on a cream paper… Heaven!! :happycloud9:

Ruby (Exclusive to Sakura): SO EXCITED to get a sample of this!!!… I’ve been harassing Robert to get a dark red… So I guess I will still be harassing him.. LOL… But this is (to me) his best red. Is bright, crisp and clean. If you want Blood… this is the Oxygenated type of Blood Red.. LOL :lol:

fpn_1470235042__ro_redblack15.jpg

Aqua: Gosh.. his blues are so nice. Aqua is a gorgeous ink. Sheen, shades and behaves lovely… :wub:

Torquay: This one, at first I thought it was too close to Australian Sky… big mistake, Australian Sky is much bluer. Torquay is a lighter Turquoise. Still a beautiful color.

fpn_1470235054__ro_redblack16.jpg

Marine: There is something about having too much green in your blue… Marine is just at the border… I do enjoy those teal colors. But a tad more green and it doesn’t work for me. For the Teal lovers out there… this is your ink !!!. :D

Blue Sea: WOW.. this is .. WOW…a gorgeous Blue. I do love his Blues and I will say this is one of his best Blues. Shades and Sheens like MAD!!.. :wub:

fpn_1470235070__ro_redblack17.jpg

Viola: I definitely like my purples more darker and murkier… this is a lovely lilac. Definitely for those who love gentle, delicate colors. For sketching, is fantastic. :D

Purple Rock: Another WOW moment… this one reminds me of Kobe Tamon Grey and KWZI Grey Plum… Purple Rock.. really ROCKS!!!... :wub:

fpn_1470235086__ro_redblack18.jpg

Summer Storm: You can see below what this ink can do in very capable and artistic hands.. (my artist-in-residence).. Is lovely for sure.....
For writing, I take Purple Rock.. ;)

fpn_1470241983__ro_redblack19.jpg

Sketch - Summer Storm Mermaid 2016.. :wub:

13882306_1182242928462658_71626149273361

RHODIA DOT PAD
No bleed thru, no show thru and no feathering.

fpn_1470235103__ro_rhodia09a.jpg

fpn_1470235114__ro_rhodia10a.jpg

TOMOE RIVER
No bleed thru, some show thru and no feathering.

fpn_1470235124__ro_tomoe09.jpg

fpn_1470235134__ro_tomoe10.jpg

MUJI Notebook
No bleed thru, no show thru and no feathering. Please note, not all MUJI paper is fountain pen friendly. This one is the “black cover” notebook. They do quite well with ink, wet pens and they do show sheen.

fpn_1470255727__ro_muji03.jpg

Summary

Guys.. There is nothing new I can say that I have not said before. These are great inks.. and the huge line up of colors means everyone can find their favorite.. I am still impressed with the amount of shading and sheen I get on regular paper. :D :D

So excited that I was able to get a sample of Sakura… It still not the red I am looking for, but is a lovely red and it will get lots of use in my pens and in my daughters pens and brushes. ;)

The real winners for me (in this line up) in order of appearance: Red-Orange, Aqua, Marine, Blue Sea and Purple Rock. :wub: :wub:
Both Viola and Summer Storm remind me of the Hydrangea Twins (Kobe #56 and #57).. Great for sketching.. not so for writing. ;)

The other exciting news.. is that NOW you can find Robert Oster in the US !!! YAY!!!! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/dancing/super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif ....... (Lucky yankees... :roller1:)

Frank at Federalist Pens and the lovely people at Vanness are now carrying Robert Oster Signature Inks. :lol: :lol:

For a distributor near you, check... www.robertoster.com.au

I need to have a chat with WonderPens and TakeNote… we need them in Canada… :crybaby:

Disclaimer: Not affiliated to Robert Oster.. yadda yadda…. :P

C.

Edited by TheGreatRoe

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• visvamitra

• Feathers

• Barkingpig

Many thanks from me too. Although my wallet keeps on sayin' "No thanks, I'm tryin' ta quit".

Croak

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

impressive review of some wonderful inks. I really dig "purple rock" - like the vintage look :-) And "summer storm" is also right up my alley. Thank you for giving a real good feel for the colours.

It's good to see more Osters, thanks Cyber6. Still a few colours to go...... :-)

As you say, you do flatter some of these with your nibs, as many users won't get anywhere near those shades from the pens they use, with a nibs of 'standard' width & ink flow. (*think*: It might be helpful for someone at some point to indicate which ones put down good colour from fine - med nibs).

An exception in this bunch is Purple Rock - I've been using it for a while & it shows its colours & shading beautifully from both big stubs and finer points.

I'm still a bit puzzled about how you get the sheen. I only get it from a very few of these inks, and then I literally have to almost daub it on Tomoegawa so that it pools. I can't get much sheen even from a wet stub. Your pens must flood the paper. There are exceptions of course (Deep Sea & Blue Sea, for example. The blues generally are stand-outs in the range).

Are you getting the few remaining inks and have you tried Grün-schwarz and Graphite? They're both great colours.

NB I've been making suggestions to Rob about a possible UK stockist. Maybe one day..........

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'm still a bit puzzled about how you get the sheen. I only get it from a very few of these inks, and then I literally have to almost daub it on Tomoegawa so that it pools. I can't get much sheen even from a wet stub. Your pens must flood the paper. There are exceptions of course (Deep Sea & Blue Sea, for example. The blues generally are stand-outs in the range).

Sheen.. the only thing I can imagine to be different between us... (besides the standard nib/paper stuff)... is weather. It is a lot more humid here than in Melbourne.. (my coworkers keep telling me that).

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Another droolworthy display, Cyber! :puddle:

Very glad I got Blue Sea, it looks delectable in your review. Purple Rock is another that I am enjoying, too bad I only have a sample at the moment.

Would it be possible to do a side-by-side comparison of Peach and Red Orange? I have Peach, but have to know if I should just give in and get RO too ;)

Also, are you going to order Lemongrass?

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Another droolworthy display, Cyber! :puddle:

Very glad I got Blue Sea, it looks delectable in your review. Purple Rock is another that I am enjoying, too bad I only have a sample at the moment.

Would it be possible to do a side-by-side comparison of Peach and Red Orange? I have Peach, but have to know if I should just give in and get RO too ;)

Also, are you going to order Lemongrass?

Glad you like... :D

I will put the swatch cards for Peach and Red Orange side by side... Peach is lighter and Red Orange has more red.. :rolleyes: ... Just give me a few hours. I'll be home by 7pm.

Lemongrass?.. Don't know.. I am currently waiting on Graphite and Green-Black... I think the new ones (Lemongrass, Blue Lagoon and Verde de Rio) will have to wait ... :bawl: :bawl:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Frank at Federalist Pens and the lovely people at Vanness are now carrying Robert Oster Signature Inks. :lol: :lol:

Well Vanness now lists all the Robert Oster inks as out of stock. Every single one of them. And the Federalist Pens lists only ten colors available.

Well Vanness now lists all the Robert Oster inks as out of stock. Every single one of them. And the Federalist Pens lists only ten colors available.

Goulet does the same thing... whenever they are waiting for stock, they list the item as "Out of Stock". They are just getting ready for when the stock arrives.

Federalist were the first one to announce being distributors, so I will guess they already receive a partial order.. (or they will only stock some colors)... Don't know.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Here you go my friend.... For practical purposes.. they are very similar.... If you noticed the swabs, Red Orange seems more saturated.

fpn_1470357238__ro_peachcomp02.jpg

Believe me.. is Red Orange on top (not just Orange)

fpn_1470357213__ro_peachcomp01.jpg

Edited by Cyber6

**** BauerInks.ca ****

You do realise Cyber6 that a freshly drawn mermaid will now be a pre requisite to every ink test you post . . .