What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

So much for, "I have enough inks. I'll never need to buy anymore!"

I just ordered:

1. Jacques Herbin 350 Vert Atlantide

2. Cult Pens Iridescink Henry

3. KWZ Sheen Machine Blue

4. KWZ Sheen Machine Green

5. Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone

That will bring me up 238 bottles. Please help me rationalize this!

Thank you for making me feel a lot better about buying 8 new bottles this week!

What are your favourites from that massive collection, out of interest?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Also picked up a bottle of Stipula Ferrogallico Rosso (IG red).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also picked up a bottle of Stipula Ferrogallico Rosso (IG red).

None of the Stipula IG inks have been reviewed here. And I, for one, would love to see that change... ;)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Yes, I've been so disappointed that I can't find any reviews anywhere. I'll post a review of my sample of Sepia and the red when it gets here.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I don't think you can rationalise the irrational. And why would you want to? It wouldn't be a fraction of the fun. :lticaptd:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

You don't need to buy any more, but then you don't need to buy chocolate

I just ordered:

1. Jacques Herbin 350 Vert Atlantide

I'm still umming and ahing about that one. On the one hand, from what little I've seen I'm afraid there isn't enough shimmer (in spite of the promise of both gold and silver shimmer particles) in this ink; and on the other hand, after just having had Émeraude de Chivor clog up the feed in my PenBBS 494 completely after less than one A5 page's worth of writing, I'm feeling a little wary.

2. Cult Pens Iridescink Henry

I can't seem to find that one on the Cult Pens site. Is there a new fifth colour in that product range?

Oh. Herbert. Not that I was aware of it.

You need more to beat A Smug Dill at his game. There. Rationalised. :P

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@RJS I'm happy to make you happy. My favorites are a long list. These days, I'm actually all about pairing the perfect ink to the appropriate pen for all the pens in my collection. I'll be at it for a good long while.

@AmandaW Good point, life is short and ink is cheap!

@A Smug Dill I suffer from complete-ist syndrome. So when a new ink comes out of a line I like, I'm doomed! I'll let you know how the JH 350 behaves in my Pilot Parallells. I don't trust particulate inks in my other pens.

And yes, It is Herbert. Ick, my least favorite name.

And no, my collection will always be in your shadow. Even if the will was there, I'm out of space. Go forth on your ink purchasing adventures knowing that I'm now living vicariously through you.

And, mere hours later, it turns out that Cult Pens has already 'dispatched' my ink. I wonder how long it will take to get here?

@RJS I'm happy to make you happy. My favorites are a long list. These days, I'm actually all about pairing the perfect ink to the appropriate pen for all the pens in my collection. I'll be at it for a good long while.

I know that feeling, that's what I've been doing too. It's a never ending faff isn't it! I've done a lot of flushing of nibs lately. If I could just use one kind of paper it would be a bit easier, but with three changing variables it's difficult to find the optimum combinations.

And, mere hours later, it turns out that Cult Pens has already 'dispatched' my ink. I wonder how long it will take to get here?

I ordered from them at 4:45pm UK time and received my order at about midday the following day! Impressive.

@DilettanteG and @AmandaW I'm a weak-willed consumer, and you two (along with some 'help' from @amberleadavis) just 'enabled' me, dammit! A bottle of Diamine Iridescink Herbert (which, alas, isn't the colour of Dune) — yes, that complete-ist thing too — and four bottles of Diamine Blue Edition (i.e. Inkvent colours), along with two steel-nibbed Lamy pens on clearance at half price, now committed on order from Cult Pens. A Uni POSCA marker pen, too, just to push the total over £70; it was either yet another black-covered Rhodia Dotpad, or a marker that would show up against the black covers, since I normally write on the orange covers using a extra fine-tipped black or dark blue permanent marker but will run out of my stash of orange-covered Dotpads shortly.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

PenBBS #178 Rose Quartz

This PenBBS shimmer ink:

I got an automatic notification from AliExpress this afternoon telling me the parcel for that (combined) order was successfully delivered — except that the parcel never made it out of China! Looks like Customs in Guangzhou rejected the parcel and returned it to the seller.

Edit: The seller has since informed me that he will now try to send the inks again by Netherlands Post as it is "the most safe way currently." Huh? Whatever.

Edited by A Smug Dill

Diamine Misty Blue.

And I am expecting some bottles of Brian Walkers Copperplate Iron Gall soon.

Oh, that IG ink sounds interesting. Pix when it arrives, please! Is it a standard blue-black? Or something different (I'm now wondering from the name if it's a coppery/orange color, like KWZI IG Mandarin, which oxidizes to to a brownish color).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, that IG ink sounds interesting. Pix when it arrives, please! Is it a standard blue-black? Or something different (I'm now wondering from the name if it's a coppery/orange color, like KWZI IG Mandarin, which oxidizes to to a brownish color).

It is a great ink that the late Brian Walker made. It is black and holds it's blackness. Not something for a fountain pen though. It gives great hairlines.

fpn_1602860796__dscn0317_resize.jpg

Im debating of whether to place the follow order: Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, Jade Green, Onyx Black, Olivine, Tanzanite, and Topaz. I would much rather replace Olivine with Smoky Quartz, and Onyx with Garnet. But those are sold out on Cultpens.

It is a great ink that the late Brian Walker made. It is black and holds it's blackness. Not something for a fountain pen though. It gives great hairlines.

What makes it inappropriate for fountain pens?

I suspect that it probably has gum arabic in it.

Too bad. It looks very nice, and Stompie, your handwriting is awesome!

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

What makes it inappropriate for fountain pens?

It is an old recipe that Brian used and so yes, gum arabic, oak gall and iron would not be nice to a fountain pen. This iron gall ink is for dip pen use.

It can also be acidic which does eat away at a dip pen nib but those are cheap to replace, your fountain pen would not be so easy!

That said, there are a number of modern ink manufacturers whose "iron gall" inks are useable in fountain pens.

Having spent too much time (subjectively) on these boards lately, I couldn't help myself but buy some more ink. Some are brand new to me, and some I've used before, and the whole lot cost only £40, which is less than I was tempted to spend on two bottles of Montblanc. Hopefully buying so many all at once means I won't feel the need to compile another order soon for all the Japanese inks I want....

* Diamine Twilight

* Diamine Bilberry

* Diamine Orange

* Diamine Eau de Nil

* Diamine Oxford Blue

* Diamine Aurora Borealis

* Platinum Blue Black

* Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

* Rohrer & Klingner Salix

* Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

* Waterman Mysterious Blue