What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

Hi all,

Three have been released from the Birmingham Jail:

Electron, Waterfront Dusk and Boiler Steam. Hopefully they'll arrive today. :D

- Sean :)

How do you feel about Birmingham inks compared to other ink brands? I have seen you talk about them a bit.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

How do you feel about Birmingham inks compared to other ink brands? I have seen you talk about them a bit.

Hi Tito,

Well, it's hard to say; I really liked the Birmingham inks I used in the past, but they were actually made by Diamine and DeAtramentis. This will be the first time I've used their "in-house" home-brewed inks.

But don't worry, I'll be vocal as to what I think about them. :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Waiting on three Diamine inks: Christine, Pelham Blue and ASA Blue. All 30ml Diamine inks are on sale at Cult Pens, though the sale ends in 33 minutes... Not that they cost much at all anyway, but good timing when adding them on to an order.

Hi Tito,

I just did a quick jot to get a basic feel of the ink; this is Waterfront Dusk:

20201030_184455.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20201030_191500.jpg?width=1920&height=10

Unfortunately, there was a lot of feathering and bleeding. The paper was a Tops Legal Pad. This is an ink you might only be able to use on premium grade papers.

I haven't tried the other two colors yet.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Ahh. Its a lovely color. Thank you Corniche. I will definitely add this to the cart. Have you considered M by Staples notepads instead of Tops? I have used about 30 pads so far, and I only had feathering issues with 3 pages on random areas of the pages. They can be had for $18-20 or 12pk 50 pages each in A4 size in Canary Yellow. I mainly use xf-m Pelikan nibs, with Sailor Shikiori inks. Although, inks appear a bit darker on the page imo.

What I'm waiting for in the mail:

Happy Holidays Sheen & Shimmer (dark blue)

Nutcracker (brown)

Syrah (dark red)

All from Diamine, a firm I'm very satisfied with.

As you can guess from the inks' names, I'm already making up my mind for Christmas greetings.

Trust ██ ███. █ ███ your █████ ███ government.

"To be, or not to be." (William Shakespeare)

"Dobedobedo." (Frank Sinatra)

Finally Cult got re-stocked from Pelikan.

My long awaited Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black carts are winging their way here. Other carts too: Palikan's Black, Diamine's Bilberry, Maroon & Prussian Blue, J Herbin "Eclat de Saphir".

Just to be sure I have a fresh back-up bottle, a wee 30ml bottle of Pelikan's Blue-Black.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Wow you really love pelikan bb. Have you tried Sailor Gentle Blue Black? I cant decide which one I more, but I always keep two inked pens with these inks.

Wow you really love pelikan bb. Have you tried Sailor Gentle Blue Black? I cant decide which one I more, but I always keep two inked pens with these inks.

Not sure, but most likely your post referenced mine, but maybe not.

Sailor's Jentle b/b has a richer colour than the Pelikan b/b IMO. Both inks are somewhat water resistant. If you like sheen in your ink's final presentation, then the Sailor ink is the way to go. For me, I do not like sheen but I do love shading, which is the Pelikan b/b ink's strength (depending the nib you use).

It is available in international short or long carts (not available in North America) & also in two sizes of bottles. An iconic ink, no doubt, though not the most exciting of the b/b colours. Platinums' Classic b/b is my first choice for a vibrant (IG) blue/black ink.

Do enjoy your Sailor & Pelikan blue blacks. :)

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Just received a bottle of Parker Qiunk blue/black and a bottle of Parker Quink washable blue. So far I really like the blue/black. Haven't tried the washable blue yet.

• 1 month later...

Got the order confirmation for a new, in-the-box bottle of Pinkly! but haven't received the shipping confirmation yet. Supposed to be here Friday the 11th.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Four full size bottles of Pilot Iroshizuku - ina-ho (which I absolutely love), kosu-mosu, which I only had in a small bottle, kon-peki (run out!) and shin-kai - just because it's so beautiful. I'm gradually working my way through to having big bottles of all the ones I like most and small versions of the others. 

It's much more expensive than some of my other favourite inks, but I find it such a pleasure to use. 

Now I just want to find somewhere selling Taccia at sensible prices without ridiculous shipping. 

One bottle of "Monteverde - Malachite"
One bottle of "Diamine - Kong Girls"

Edited by Detman101

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Oh dear. some Kyoto ky-no-oto's just fell into a basket and I had to rescue them. My excuse is that some of the colours seem to be getting hard to find, and they did call to me so plaintively...

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Oh dear. some Kyoto ky-no-oto's just fell into a basket and I had to rescue them. My excuse is that some of the colours seem to be getting hard to find, and they did call to me so plaintively...

First time hearing of this brand. Did a quick image search online. Some of the colors are really nice. Thank you for bringing this brand to my attention.

Expected in another day or two, all Montblanc -

Elixir Azure

Purdey Cigar

Elvis Blue

Beatles Purple

Lavender Purple

Spider Grey

if Elvis isn't wild enough I might try adding a drop of Beatles.

• 2 weeks later...

Expecting some Birmingham inks soon!

• Twilight (Dark berry purple-pink)
  • Fountain Turquoise (bright teal)
  • Polar Bear (medium-dark teal)
  • Celestial Blue (indigo)
  • Greenie Weenie (kelly green) 

Upon reflection... I probably should not have purchased 5 bottles at once!!! :doh: But I've been loving the Birmingham inks I've tried so far. They may be flat colors on the page without much shading or sheening but they dry so quickly - they're perfect for my quick, multi-page journal entries. 

🐌 💌 📬 Snail mail enthusiast & ink swatching fiend. Trade inks with me here🎨🌈🖋️

round-letter-exc.pnground-ink-exc.png