Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much Christof and Chris!

I would like to add that the special edition Pastel pens are glossy and the special edition Candy pens are matte.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thank you so much Christof and Chris!

I would like to add that the special edition Pastel pens are glossy and the special edition Candy pens are matte.

Thank you Anne-Sophie,

Yes, there are many features that are missing in this table. It is only a simple descriptive list of pens that Christof and I are aware of. Christof has created a nice foundation, which is to classify the pens according to their baseline colour. I have then simply used that to add in only the main variations of that baseline colour. I think a future iteration of this table that we will work on is to incorporate design features, the most obvious being the texture, cap design, clip colour, etc. Others are also of interest, however, such as the barrel rim markings (dots versus numbers) and the inclination of the cartridge holders (flat versus bevelled). Lots to cover, and matte versus glossy is one of many that would need inclusion.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you Ann-Sophie and Chris

I have a slightly different point of view. In my opinion, the table should stay clear and not overloaded. To many informations can be confusing. As far it is possible to identify a model by it's color (what is the case with with the Pastel and Candy series)' it is not mandatory necessary to ad more informations in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.

C.

ps: there seems to be a regularity for matte pens: they never came with chrome clips.

Edited by christof

Fantastic spreadsheet! Thank you both for taking the time to compile it and share here on FPN. I've been slooooowly working on another Lamy 2000 article, and I came across these Safari ads in the process. I thought I'd share them here. I think the "Frost White" and "Riot Red" names were new to me. I'm guessing these were creative ad-copy writers and not official names?

(Images below are on Flickr with higher resolution)

50338478682_e7b2dcc1e9_c.jpg

Lamy-Safari-1981-02-09-NYTimes-pg-B12 on Flickr

50337636473_afd9d82370_c.jpg
50338479372_d183ff89da_c.jpg
50338478822_6807438f31_c.jpg
50338322186_b9cf64b261_c.jpg
50338479237_6330c421a4_c.jpg
50337637473_589372758f_c.jpg
50337637588_0ff49bc8cc_c.jpg
50337637773_6a8d25aba8_c.jpg

Thanks, bphollin, for the posts of the vintage advertising. It was a little sad to see the Art Brown ads, since that was for some years my go-to retailer in Manhattan. Unfortunately, they did not survive the transition to the current on-line model. It was a great shop.

Interesting. $20 was still worth something in 1982. That must have seemed like a lot for a pen with an injection-molded body.

Edited by N1003U

Wow!

Thanks for posting this bphollin! This are really remarkable informations.

It almost seems that the S2 (charcoal) was introduced first in America and only later in Europe!

I think that we need to edit our table again...

C.

Edited by christof

Thank you Ann-Sophie and Chris

I have a slightly different point of view. In my opinion, the table should stay clear and not overloaded. To many informations can be confusing. As far it is possible to identify a model by it's color (what is the case with with the Pastel and Candy series)' it is not mandatory necessary to ad more informations in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.

C.

ps: there seems to be a regularity for matte pens: they never came with chrome clips.

Christof and Chris, the remark in my post was not, in any way, a critic of that wonderful and informative table, just an idea that came to me while I was playing with the Pastel and Candy series.

I felt it could be useful in a post dedicated to the Safari. New users could come upon those series, in a few years and wonder if the pens are real, or just want more information.

The Safari is truly one of the most fun pen, in the hobby.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Superb adverts, bphollin - thank you for sharing! This confirms my suspicion that the S2 predated the Alpin (at least in the States; although I doubt very much that the European market had a different order) based on the design elements of the Alpin vs S2 in their respective generations.

According to these adverts it would be reasonable to conclude that S2 was introduced in March 1982 and Alpin in March/April 1983.

I am also very intrigued by the term Frost White. I wonder if the use of frost lends support to our conclusion, Christof, that the Alpin was first introduced as a matte/frosted texture and later changed to glossy because the matte white dirtied and became grubby very quickly... Very interesting.

Lets adjust the table base on these new finds

I am also very intrigued by the term Frost White. I wonder if the use of frost lends support to our conclusion, Christof, that the Alpin was first introduced as a matte/frosted texture and later changed to glossy because the matte white dirtied and became grubby very quickly...

Yes, that is exatly what I think too.

Lets adjust the table base on these new finds

I will do, as soon as possible.

C.

Perhaps the best and most fun pens for the money.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I am also very intrigued by the term Frost White. I wonder if the use of frost lends support to our conclusion, Christof, that the Alpin was first introduced as a matte/frosted texture and later changed to glossy because the matte white dirtied and became grubby very quickly... Very interesting.

btw... do you remember the modifications I did on a Vista, five years ago?:

18855879566_551f305f1f_o.pngLamy Safari Frosta (Vista) by c_m_z, auf Flickr

...then I called it "Frosta" because of the matte surface.

C.

Edited by christof

Wonderful compilation of info! I'm currently working on a complete LAMY catalogue website, and I look forward to crediting you as a source (with a link to your hard work, of course!).

Here are some fun vintage Lamy Safari stickers I scanned. I think we should get matching tattoos!

Click through to Flickr for high resolution versions.

50382555743_c6b3e3d718_c.jpg
50383437447_b96a89b079_c.jpg
50383257426_aaf3727e53_c.jpg
50383438302_9d6c10c2c4_c.jpg
50382556573_5a3d6a041d_c.jpg

No tattoos for me (I'd be one of those people who'd likely have a horrible allergic reaction -- I just know it).

OTOH, if the stickers were still commercially available, I'd happily put one of them on the top of my laptop. Maybe the claw one (I plugged the text into Google Translate to see what it said, and it translated to "I have it under control" (which, given the triangular grip section, is pretty appropriate).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."