Lamy Safari

haywoody

Hi KMPN!

Yes, I know you have one of these transitional yellows from your blog :) I think the correct sticker is absolutely vital to any serious collector to prove its provenance because otherwise it is a 5 minute job to "manufacture" one of these. Yours is the only one I have ever seen a photo of that is with it's sticker. I've read someone else has one but I've never seen a photo of theirs. I tried very hard to find one of these but alas never managed to obtain one. Even better than a stickered one would be a blister-pack sealed one, but I've never seen one of those.

Sorry but to me this is baloney. Many stores sell the pens without the sticker, and it would basically invalidate all legit pens that don't have the sticker any more.

Hi Sirksael,

Sure, I didn't mean that the sticker is required all the time. And of course you're right that a pen may be entirely legitimate without a sticker - totally agree. But it's so simple to create a transitional yellow that it would probably be prudent, as a serious collector, to seek a stickered or sealed one because otherwise you may well end up paying a premium for a rare pen when actually it was simply a frankenpen made of one old yellow and one new. If, of course, you bought such a transitional pen yourself then there is no need to authenticate its provenance...until you want to sell it to a collector. I can't think of any other circumstance where the sticker is of any relevance, to be honest...

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologise, I did indeed misread your statement and thought you meant all safaris. So, does the sticker allow one to identify the transitional yellow? Looking at the picture posted, they have the same colour codes.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

But is it a date code for sure? Most of mine still have their sticker, I will check tonight to see if MMDDYY makes sense.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Hmmm, yes, actually I'd also like to know for sure whether these stickers have a date code... It's very unusual for products to have the day of production in addition to the month and year; I think it's usually just the month and year. Anyways, I'd be interested in feedback on this one. I'll also have a look at my stickered pens to see if the codes makes any sense.

• 8 months later...
1338745710[/url]' post='2363174']

I made this post on my blog ! Please let me know what I need to correct. I'm new to collecting Safari's. COOL thing: I actually spoke to Wolfgang Fabian - Designer of the Safari! :vbg:

http://gmsantaguida....huge-fan-of-the

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4g2je8dhQ1rsfzlko1_1280.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4g2je8dhQ1rsfzlko2_1280.jpg

Do you have a new, updated list? And a list for the Al Stars?

WOW! A great reference for Safari Pens!

I have a Vista model (Demo), and it has discolored (yellowed) greatly in the last year or so. The section looks great (clear), but the cap and barrel have turned yellow!

Any ideas on Polishing methods to help it out? Can the discoloration be polished out??

(Next step will be buying spares!)

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Hi haywoody, gmsantaguida, Uffuffa, christof, and Robert Alan,

Let me pick your brains for information about the Safari. Were either of the orange Safaris (the 2004 Flame, or the 2009 Orange) ever released as rollerballs?

George Kovalenko.

:ninja:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Let me pick your brains for information about the Safari. Were either of the orange Safaris (the 2004 Flame, or the 2009 Orange) ever released as rollerballs?

George Kovalenko.

Hi George,

2009 - yes

2004 - now, that's an interesting question... It probably was but I must say have never seen one, so I'm not sure...!

Does anyone out there have a Flame rollerball (or pencil/ballpoint/twin for that matter?)

Chris

George Kovalenko.

George

Really, I'm not the right person to answer this, but I believe that from every color which exist a FP also should exist a RB pen. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

My Safari collection is quite small, only the very first colors, but I have a RB in Terra Red.

Christof

• Terracotta, yes.
  • Flame, most likely no. I haven't seen one.
  • 2009, I don't know. I haven't seen one (but I really only care about FPs). I thought the LE rollerballs ended after French Blue with red clip and then not again until last summer's Apple Green.

Thanks for your responses Chris, and Christof, and Brandon.

I'm looking for an Orange, or a Flame rollerball to do some customization and creation of a frankenpen. User grade is fine. It doesn't have to be in perfect condition, and I don't need the refill. Like Brandon, I really only care about FPs.

George.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Wow, that's really cool! Thanks for sharing some history on this great pen; Lamy is one of my favorite pen companies. German engineering at its best!

This is the coolest thing I've read in awhile! Thank you so much.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Oscar Wilde

• 1 year later...

I was reading, I did not know there were different generations.
well guess what, I have a charcoal gray smooth texture.
in Third generation. says Germany on the bottom. early 90's I would guess because it's from school.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work!

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene