Lamy Safari

haywoody

Amazing resource information, thank you all!

Have anyone herd of a source for Lamy Safari spare parts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, a m a r g o said:

depends on where you are, there used to be small stationary stores in Germany that would sell you parts. that was nice to have. I have a small box of spare parts. 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, a m a r g o said:

In the UK a number of retailers also list some sale parts.  Not everything is available and the price of spares can seem a lot compared to the price of a whole pen.

I have been collecting spares when I seem them for sale on online auction sites.  I like to bring neglected pens back to life.   But in doing this I have also got more spares from pens that were past saving.

Have you tried the approved Lamy retailer in Mexico?  The next best for you would probably be a US based retailer

18 hours ago, Black Spot said:

depends on where you are, there used to be small stationary stores in Germany that would sell you parts. that was nice to have. I have a small box of spare parts. 

I have friends in Germany, maybe them can help me out...

I'm looking for spare black clips, section rings, cap finials and nibs. I just refused to pay 100.00+ euros for a Safari Alpine Weiß, so I ended up buying a white and umbra Safaris and exchanging their correspondent parts. I used an old Umbra that I had to repair my grey Safari.

But it gets quite expensive if you start buying an umbra Safari every time you want another Safari color with black 'garments'! And the number of friends to whom gift the 'frankenpens' resulting from the garments exchange, become tinier and tinier...

Could you please point me out to such stores or the criteria my friends would need to follow to find them: small cities or maybe old neighborhoods?

Thank you very much!

IMG-3805.jpg

10 hours ago, bonnie-scott said:

In the UK a number of retailers also list some sale parts.  Not everything is available and the price of spares can seem a lot compared to the price of a whole pen.

I have been collecting spares when I seem them for sale on online auction sites.  I like to bring neglected pens back to life.   But in doing this I have also got more spares from pens that were past saving.

Have you tried the approved Lamy retailer in Mexico?  The next best for you would probably be a US based retailer

It's the same issue everywhere: the scale at which spare parts are defined is whole caps, nib sections and barrels, being extremely rare as well to find them, and they're certainly expensive compared to the prices of brand new pens. Indeed you could end with a cemetery of old pens parts that become useless...

Unlucky as well in Mexico and around the globe through internet sites. I know I'm being extremely specific, but that0s why I was hoping that a BM store around somewhere could store this kind af 'strange' artifacts!

I

9 minutes ago, a m a r g o said:

I have friends in Germany, maybe them can help me out...

I'm looking for spare black clips, section rings, cap finials and nibs. I just refused to pay 100.00+ euros for a Safari Alpine Weiß, so I ended up buying a white and umbra Safaris and exchanging their correspondent parts. I used an old Umbra that I had to repair my grey Safari.

But it gets quite expensive if you start buying an umbra Safari every time you want another Safari color with black 'garments'! And the number of friends to whom gift the 'frankenpens' resulting from the garments exchange, become tinier and tinier...

Could you please point me out to such stores or the criteria my friends would need to follow to find them: small cities or maybe old neighborhoods?

Thank you very much!

IMG-3805.jpg

The way I did it was to go to a store that sells Lamy pens and ask if they had parts for sale.  Sometimes the lady's at the counter would pull out tray and you could get the bits you need.

Mostly this was at smaller family owned stores but Kaufhoff had them to. This was some years ago. I do not know if they do that now.

You could also wright Lamy directly and ask. 

I will check my box, But all my parts are from leftover pens and look used to very used.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to find the post and could not so I am posting again to move it on page 1 of the subforum.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 6/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, Anne-Sophie said:

I wanted to find the post and could not so I am posting again to move it on page 1 of the subforum.

😃😉👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 6:20 AM, a m a r g o said:

I just ordered an entire section, feed and nib assembly for an Al-Star from The Writing Desk for USD 15 bucks. Yes, that included shipping AND it came with a nib (I chose the 1.9 mm stub, because why not?).

Let us know when you get it how you like that nib.  I have the 1.1 mm stub on the Vibrant Pink al-Star, but nothing broader, for fear that the pen would be a firehose.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Let us know when you get it how you like that nib.  I have the 1.1 mm stub on the Vibrant Pink al-Star, but nothing broader, for fear that the pen would be a firehose.

I had the opportunity to try all 3 sizes of Calligraphy nibs, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9. I  found the last 2 didn't feel smooth.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 6/28/2021 at 7:16 PM, sirgilbert357 said:

I just ordered an entire section, feed and nib assembly for an Al-Star from The Writing Desk for USD 15 bucks. Yes, that included shipping AND it came with a nib (I chose the 1.9 mm stub, because why not?).

Thank you for the information!

On 6/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I'll probably forget I ordered it about the same time I receive it. The shipping was only $2.50! How slow does it have to be to only cost that much coming from the U.K. to the USA? LOL. I didn't even get a tracking number!

I have a 1.1 and 1.5 nib already. I didn't want another nib, just the section...but it came with it, so I figured why not try the ridiculous 1.9 too?

1 hour ago, a m a r g o said:

Thank you for the information!

My pleasure. I kind of messed up the feed on my Turmaline Al-Star, so I needed a new one...figured I'd share the knowledge!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had issues with the Safari losing its nib?  I went to clean off my tip today and the metal nib came right off.  I have put it back on the pen, and it writes, but you can feel that it is loose.  Any ideas?

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

You may want to tighten the side clamps of the nib. It happens sometimes. Especialy if the nib is taken on and off very often for cleaning. Use flat pliers, covered in electrical tape against scratches, and minimal pressure.

19 hours ago, Astronymus said:

You may want to tighten the side clamps of the nib. It happens sometimes. Especialy if the nib is taken on and off very often for cleaning. Use flat pliers, covered in electrical tape against scratches, and minimal pressure.

Thank you!

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

On their website Lamy, now shows BB nibs in their regular lineup.

Are they only for gold nibs or will they ever be available for steel nibs, on the Safari/Al-Star line?

• 2 weeks later...

The safari is an amazing pen and, given how well they write, they are so cheap that it almost seems as though one is robbing Lamy when buying one. I suppose that the design must have evolved somewhat over the years but I think they have got it just right. I have quite a few of them with a different ink in each.

Initially I was amazed that such a bulky pen was so easy to write with -- the nibs are ideal for me. I have big hands, but my preference is for something more the diameter of a pencil. It seems not to have put children off from learning to write with it.

I am always impressed by the way that the windows align perfectly with the cartridge/convertor for seeing the ink inside: in my experience, spot on every time.

The only thing I personally find strange is the humongous clip made out of indestructible 1.3 mm diameter metal. The term over-engineered comes to mind. There is no way this pen is going to fall out of a pocket if the owner were held upside down by his or her feet! Though I suppose that the weight of the metal may be responsible for the balance of the pen when posted.

David