Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock would have loved this red material. All of us miss Ian so much.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_05_2018/post-134601-0-19526100-1527693757.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that 981-1 I suppose, well, widest part 13mm , roughly 120mm uncapped, 138mm capped, 149mm posted, and 27g weight

G great looking pen and specs to my liking. There are so many Chinese pens coming out these days that your expertise is priceless. This one is definitely on the list!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

that 981-1 I suppose, well, widest part 13mm , roughly 120mm uncapped, 138mm capped, 149mm posted, and 27g weight

G great looking pen and specs to my liking. There are so many Chinese pens coming out these days that your expertise is priceless. This one is definitely on the list!

The spring-clip "ears" look a little pointy. I hold my pens back high on the section....

2A4NYaf.jpg

LIY Future - Enchantress. Very unique material

Wow, that looks better than the photos on the LIY website! Stunning sparkles.

It's actually quite an interesting finish. While the pen is shiny and polished, there is some texture to the material. As I said, rather unique.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_05_2018/post-134601-0-19526100-1527693757.jpg

He was the BEST Pen Pal I have ever had and one of the FPN;s best members in everything he ever did,Lustin after all of your pens was one of his favourite pastimes ,when he discovered that I had a large collection of Jinhao /Baoer;s I had to get my wife to take a photo of them,and his lusting was SO authentic I promised him that he could have them when I pass on,sadly that wont happen now,and Yes we all miss him,we thank his wife for her kindness in contacting me when he passed away,God Rest His Soul,Oneill I have just noticed that this thread has had 91,000 Views which proves He Was a Nice Guy, Oneill

Edited by oneill

43126625961_e94cc60c0f_k.jpgCaliarts Ego-2 Turquoise Blue, on Flickr ( Piston filling Pilot MR/78G compatible nib in F )

I have recognize that many new comer to this forum section probably not knowing about the opaque colored version of the Caliarts Ego-2; initially only in this rather nice sky blue; and they quietly add some pearlescent colors ( pastel hues ) recently. I've found the material used by Caliarts to be giving the best tactile feedback. Despite Caliarts saying that this is Acrylic Resin it actually feel different, with some soft warm give ( sort of like PU ) I like it for its simple stright forward styling and functional approach and the engineering is not bad either.

Edited by Mech-for-i

its nice to have all those new models coming out of China ... but time again it would be nice to go re visit some vintage models, despite their sometime quirkiness, they just excerpt that retro, nostalgia .. and plenty are nice one to hold onto ( and write with too ) and not to say interesting from a collection point of view ... and here's a rather late model from Gold Start ( or Golden Star, Jinxing ) ..

Gold Star 210 ; vintage late 90's , C/C filling, no.5 nib ( Steel, or 12K or 9.6K ) in F ( shown ) or EF, black, blue black, or ivory cream lacquered; also could be had in matt black and sparkled light grey on brass barrel and cap, gold plated appointment ( 8K AFAIK ). Sort of a heavy weight for its size

29384073848_a5a45304d2_k.jpgGold Star 210, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

And here's another set that's totally different in concept of execution ; Gui Guan 971 ; mid to late 1990's C/C filling, slim no.5 nib, finishing as shown but also can be had ( again ) in matt black overall, and that's VPC / anodized aluminum. with a satin surface. The satin gold, like similar one from the time are prone to surface finishing pitting , lightweight for its size and very smooth writer

42350166845_9eaf9fea8e_k.jpgGui-Guan 971, on Flickr

And Hero had other idea at the time ; like the Hero 216-1 ; all resin ( acrylic may be ) construction with celluloid cladding on the barrel , squared off F steel nib and feed from the 261 / 216 ( both are different pen though ) , C/C filling , very very lightweight

43123501352_3cd8c02754_k.jpgHero 216-1, on Flickr

Here are some of my favourite Chinese pens ever! The PenBBS 308:

7rXeYXm.jpg

Edited by lovementos

Quick question guys, do you know a fine/ extra fine (comparable to a Pilot Kakuno/Metropolitan fine) that fits the PenBBS 308 / 309?

Any suggestion is appreciated and sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread

Quick question guys, do you know a fine/ extra fine (comparable to a Pilot Kakuno/Metropolitan fine) that fits the PenBBS 308 / 309?

Any suggestion is appreciated and sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread

If there are any still for sale, you could buy the spare EF nib made by Penbbs.

Otherwise, you just need a standard #6 EF nib, like a Knox or JoWo. Those nibs all fit the 309 without any problem, but the tip of the nib might get bumped in the 308 when you cap the pen. I've been able to get buy with #6 nibs in my 308 by not screwing the cap on tightly.

If there are any still for sale, you could buy the spare EF nib made by Penbbs.

Otherwise, you just need a standard #6 EF nib, like a Knox or JoWo. Those nibs all fit the 309 without any problem, but the tip of the nib might get bumped in the 308 when you cap the pen. I've been able to get buy with #6 nibs in my 308 by not screwing the cap on tightly.

It's too bad that there are compromises when using other nibs, although this is my first time hearing that PenBBS also sells the EF nibs.

Thanks for the response though

Edited by penzel_washinkton

well got something other than the Jinhao 51A on this month's haul .. well .. do you ever want to own one of those square profile pen without breaking the bank A/C balance, well now you can with spare for a lunch and won't likely get your better half to complain ... ( chuckle ) ... finally not another safari clone or TWSBI knock off of a kind, someone actually sit down and do a design of sorts

Lanbitou 8049

fpn_1531499666__lbt8049.jpg

( you guys will have to excuse me for the poor photo, weather not permitting I can only shoot indoor and the light is not great )

usual C/C filling, snap on cap, but this time , the section , barrel, and cap are all rounded off square in cross section profile, and the barrel / cap is lacquered aluminum and actually quite well build, in 12 different finishes, and the section actually feel good in the hand with the feed fitting snug and tight too. can be ordered in EF, F or M ... and well ... as for the cost its about $2.00 US a piece where I purchase ( fright excluded ).

Edited by Mech-for-i

I have posted this many times this year and I am duty bound to post it again,It is my very sad duty to tell all

new members that Ian the Jock Passed away in Jan of this year suddenly at his home, I was advised by his lovely

wife, as you will see from the many tributes to this great member of FPN,We shall ALL miss him and I think that

is why someone has posted some of Ian;s posts above, thank you to that member for his forethought I am sure Ians

posts will be posted time and again for the benefit of new Members,May he Rest In Peace. Oneill