All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Peter_H

What pen(s) are you using today?

Great pen, nice ink. My first - and probably last - Montblanc purchase. The “shoe” bottle lives up to its legendary status, though - and TBH is only a small markup, per ml, from my lovely LAMY Crystal Obsidian, with its sub-standard lid (finally fixed with copious amounts of glue!)
  3. roshpens

Adding To The Flock

Thank you ! Now, I put some effort in matching inks to the barrel. I think a color palette 🎨 coordinated theme works well.
  4. roshpens

Adding To The Flock

Yes, those finer details made the first Pelikan limited edition pretty special.
  5. Today
  6. Because words carrying the diminutive -chen usually change their gender to neutral. The word "Magd" (female, which today means a female farm worker in former times, until about the first half of the last century I would say) was also used to designate a girl. To make it sound more cute, the diminutive "Mägdlein" was used that at some point must have changed to the diminutive "Mädchen", dropping also the g. So yes, in German a girl is inherently small and cute until she becomes a full grown woman. Boys on the other hand, "Bub" or "Knabe" (male), are stopped being called "Bübchen/Büblein" or "Knäbchen/Knäblein" (neutral) when they are about 5 years old. The less oldfashioned "Junge" (male) doesn't know a diminutive at all, except if you call him "Jüngelchen" (neutral), which is derisive. Does that tell us something about how women are perceived and how this is mirrored by language? You bet it does.
  7. 2ouvenir

Chinese character studies 中文字學

Thanks for contributing, @txomsy. I really like the style and flow of your calligraphy and sketch. You should definitely post more whenever you feel like it. We all have unique writing styles, and there's much we can learn and draw inspiration from each other.
  8. I’ve used a Kaweco x Goldspot Ultimate Gray transparent pen with BB nib filled with Birmingham Pens Lunar Dust ink.
  9. DimitriDiak

100th Anniversary editions

Yes, that is what I meant … you will get the nib from the collection contrary to the rumours that you will get the standard nib back.
  10. Santini is not sold in shops as far as I know. I do not know any pen shop in Verona, sorry !
  11. mke

Sailor Pro Gear Question

The nib could have also been "borrowed" from a 1911L. I am sure you could ask some shops to do this when you buy a new pen.
  12. PithyProlix

Diamine Vivaldi

Yeah, and they have such a large variety of styles and colors that, even if you don't like most of it, they have a few things you are likely to love. And you can explore the range without sacrificing much $. They are the Trader Joe's of ink brands. As amazing as those are, it only gets better! And then there are the string quartets... ♥️❤️😘 Wait, who's wig are you referring to? 😅 BTW, if you like to have you own digital copies, the Fischer Haydn symphonies used to be available at Amazon for something like a $1 - they might still be there.
  13. , yelling "no thesauruses!"
  14. Ranga Pens now offers a line of Epoxy Resin pens. Can anyone provide any insights into acrylic vs. epoxy resin? Feel, Durability, Fading, etc. Thanks, Tommy
  15. My drunk late night impulse purchase from Penworld, although the price was very good ! https://youtu.be/dulCmG1-Yfg?feature=shared
  16. AceNinja

Royal blues

MB Royal Blue, Pelikan 4001, FC, Pilot, no, still far from "too many Royal Blue" 😆 I do like this kind of comparisons, thanks for sharing!
  17. deuter

My first Pelican

18. yubaprof

I got this pen today

Jeesh, you reeled me right in with this one, David. I checked out Ulpia on fpnibs.com. Beautiful assortment of pens made in my family's homeland. A couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. 1. I have a choice of L/F Oblique Cursive Italic 15 degrees v. 30 degrees. How do I go about evaluating which to choose? I very much like obliques and have been fooling around with an italic, but I have no idea about the angle. 2. Feeder Flow Hack: "No" v. "High" v. "Very High." I don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. I hope I am not imposing on you with these questions... David R.
  19. Perhaps this company failed to study their pen history, so they are repeating it. The section on this pen can, I think, be unscrewed, but they are very vehement about not doing that during filling. I suppose when one has used up most of the ink, that might be a method of cleaning out the residual. Now that I have just filled it, I'm not ready to try that yet.
  20. The ill-fated Pelikan Level pen used a very similar filling technique. That pen had to be disassembled to empty the pen or change ink colors.
  21. I did reach out to Conway Stewart and was given some helpful advice, and it is a new pen, but seems very tightly seated, and of course I am anxious not to break or damage the pen.
  22. I saw this on a YouTube channel, and I was intrigued enough to buy one ($28 on Amazon), pronounced "a beet" apparently. It's made by a Chinese company (Shanghai Youshang Stationery Co., Ltd), and consists of a demonstrator plastic pen that bears some similarity to a Lamy Vista, and an ink bottle. The gimmick is that you can only fill the pen by removing the pen cap and the bottle's cap, and inserting the back of the pen into the open top of the ink bottle. There is a needle in the ink bottle, and a corresponding hole in the back of the pen. You hold down the big orange collar of the ink bottle for three seconds, then release it, and the ink is sucked up into the pen (I only got a partial fill when I tried it, and you're not supposed to do it more than once per fill). That part works fine, completely clean and no mess if you follow their instructions. Maybe if it catches on they will offer more than one type of pen. But I have questions, that did not occur to me until I actually had the pen in hand. How do I empty the ink? How do I clean out the pen? It seems to be possible to put different ink into the ink bottle (but there is a separate filler doodad that you have to buy, and that doesn't seem to be available yet), so how do I clean the residual ink so that the new color writes the way it is supposed to? There was no Q&A section in the Amazon (U.S.) listing, and I could not find anything in the English language online about this company, such as where to write to them. I will keep looking. This is quite a new product, maybe a month since it first appeared on YouTube.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More