Swapping a regular 149 nib of a limited edition for a flex nib

AYChopp

Hi

I recently bought a used montblanc limited edition (4810 pieces) 149 by andree putman, which is basically a classic 149 with a special case, I sent it to get serviced.

I contacted My Jewlery Repair (montblanc's authorized repair)  if i can swap the nib of a regular 149 to the calligraphy flex nib & they said they could.

My question is, since its a limited edition set will I totally ruin the pen's value if i would eventually sell it or it will upgrade the pen/set?

I've attached stock images of the set, Thank You

444444.jpg

333333.jpg

22222.jpg

1111111.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AYChopp

• Beechwood

• Uncial

• ak47

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I very much doubt you will end up with the flex nib.

It's a nice set but I would doubt a nib change to any size will affect value. 

Hi. Congratulations!

I am amazed that they change nib in a flex one. But if it is, do it! It will be fantastic for you..and a good choice for the value. It is my thought.

Bye

Thank You!

I was also surprised that they do such a swap, I asked them clearly again and they confirmed that they can swap as long as it's the classic black/gold 149. (maybe if the execs at MontBlanc hear this they wont be happy)

1 hour ago, ak47 said:

Hi. Congratulations!

I am amazed that they change nib in a flex one. But if it is, do it! It will be fantastic for you..and a good choice for the value. It is my thought.

Bye

7 hours ago, Uncial said:

I very much doubt you will end up with the flex nib.

It's a nice set but I would doubt a nib change to any size will affect value. 

As I understand matters, this particular special edition simply had special packaging, the pen was a regular 149, the most common nib to be fitted was, unusually,  a Broad.

The cost of changing a MB nib is not going to be a cheap affair, if you really, really want a flex nib (and they are not for everyone by any means) I would leave your pen as it is and buy another with the flex nib.

Having a resale price mantra for any pen that we buy and own is a mistake that many of us have committed. 

2 hours ago, Beechwood said:

buy another with the flex nib.

Good luck with that!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I would have thought that they will only fit a flex nib to a 149 if your originally bought that nib and need a replacement. There are certainly no more being released to market but I'd be very interested in the outcome.

I, too, register my skepticism that you will get a 149 Flex Calligraphy nib in exchange for a standard 149 nib.

The reports about "My Jewelry Repair," their knowledge, abilities and efficiency are quite variable.  But, if they say the will do it and you want it, why not go for it?  And, please let us know the outcome.

To the matter of the value of the andree putman set, given the 149 fountain pen included in the set is merely a standard 149 and the uniqueness of the set is all in the packaging, I do not see where you lose a thing with the swap.  You can always pair up a standard 149 with the packaging in the future and thereby recreate what was originally sold as a LE set.

Meanwhile, I chatted with a Montblanc rep on their website.

They told me that the flex nib has been discontinued and it is only available through their bespoke nib program.

they claim that the 149 with the flex nib will not come back

What is to you, a flex nib?

Some think any tine spread and bend is a flex nib....it is if all you ever use is a nail.

Is it semi-flex?

Or is it superflex? Easy Full flex or the next easier flex set, Wet Noodle.

The 1950-70 MB's are often semi-flex..a no effort .. flair nib, not a calligraphy nibs....though some do nib abuse to such nibs in search of a calligraphy nib.

Safety pens.....are more than Wet Noodles...........mine is Weak Kneed Wet Noodle.

nYkLum8.jpg

0vcaAsk.jpg

Simplo # 6 nib.

DrSCTlI.jpgtnS7fTy.jpg

This a great balanced medium-large 1948-69 146 with a maxi-semi-flex nib...again not really a calligraphy nib....softer than a semi-flex. Francis did wonders of both those MB beaters.

There is a guy in Spain who can do to your nib what you want. Make it a superflex....MB can't....

The cheapest way to try dip pens...just in case you really don't want to practice enough to do calligraphy.

And there is stiff nib flat tipped calligraphy nibs, like by Lamy, or old Osmiroid un-tipped flat brass calligraphy nibs that will fit your Esterbrook.

There are more than Spenserian/Copperplate for calligraphy.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.