Are Montblanc nibs chiseled?

Gromit

"Hello everyone, 

I'm thrilled to join this community of fountain pen enthusiasts! It's wonderful to connect with fellow aficionados who share a passion for these exquisite writing instruments. I look forward to learning from each of you, sharing experiences, and embarking on this delightful journey of fountain pen exploration together. Cheers to the joy of writing and the camaraderie that comes with it!"

Some time ago, my old montblanc 149 fell into my hands again. I bought it 30 years ago, it's from the 1980s. When I look at the nib very closely, I mean to realize that the ornaments of the „engraving“ are not perfectly symmetrical. Is it possible that the nibs were previously ciseled by hand?

Actually, I can't really imagine that with the production figures, but it just looks like that to me. I didn't find anything about it on the internet and so I wanted to ask the forum.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gromit

• Bo Bo Olson

• Karmachanic

• DimitriDiak

1 hour ago, Gromit said:

"Hello everyone, 

I'm thrilled to join this community of fountain pen enthusiasts! It's wonderful to connect with fellow aficionados who share a passion for these exquisite writing instruments. I look forward to learning from each of you, sharing experiences, and embarking on this delightful journey of fountain pen exploration together. Cheers to the joy of writing and the camaraderie that comes with it!"

Some time ago, my old montblanc 149 fell into my hands again. I bought it 30 years ago, it's from the 1980s. When I look at the nib very closely, I mean to realize that the ornaments of the „engraving“ are not perfectly symmetrical. Is it possible that the nibs were previously ciseled by hand?

Actually, I can't really imagine that with the production figures, but it just looks like that to me. I didn't find anything about it on the internet and so I wanted to ask the forum.

image.thumb.jpeg.d53b1af7292903bd7760bef35ddc6259.jpeg
Maybe it’s better, to post an image…

On 3/10/2024 at 1:59 PM, Gromit said:

When I look at the nib very closely, I mean to realize that the ornaments of the „engraving“ are not perfectly symmetrical. Is it possible that the nibs were previously ciseled by hand?

Looks like a beautiful nib … some of the older ones are great writers and are my favourite. I have not read anything about their engraving process but if you look at many 149 nibs you will see that there are very slight difference between them suggesting to me that they were hand chiseled or hand finished versus laser engraved.  I also imagine that their procedures have changed over time and across the various editions.  Good question!  

I don’t know if you have read their website information on their nibs?

A PATH TO PERFECTION

It takes 35 skilled steps to craft a nib and an additional 70 steps to assemble and test a Montblanc fountain pen until it is deemed ready to become yours. Each Montblanc nib is handcrafted from either 14K or 18K gold. Under the pressure of up to 18 tons, the nib’s silhouette is stamped out and then carefully pressed into shape. Next, Montblanc artisans accurately grind the exceptionally hard iridium tip by hand until it is the perfect width and size. After the final assembly and setting, every nib must pass a thorough writing test to ensure it delivers the ultimate writing experience. In addition to how the instrument feels writing, a good ear plays a vital role in the rigorous quality test: the in-house trained nib grinder listens attentively to the sound each nib makes as it glides over the paper. Only nibs that do not scratch or snag, and generate a continuous sound, will pass the special inspection.

From nibs with just brand names, and gold amount if, or steel are stamped, plain or ornate. a tool maker makes the pateren.

That is why various nib makers over the generations made nibs for other companies, like MB did for Pelikan @ 1930 or Osmia did for a number of small 'brand' pen makers.

Degussa the gold and silver maker in Germany , tookover Osmia's nib factory for debt, and made, made Osmai, Geha nibs and Soennecken nibs as Soennecken died.

pattern making tool makers made dies to stamp in the nib.

The more ornate nib cost more to make the pattern, so go on more expensive nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:07 PM, Gromit said:

"Hello everyone, 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:36 PM, DimitriDiak said:

Looks like a beautiful nib … some of the older ones are great writers and are my favourite. I have not read anything about their engraving process but if you look at many 149 nibs you will see that there are very slight difference between them suggesting to me that they were hand chiseled or hand finished versus laser engraved.  I also imagine that their procedures have changed over time and across the various editions.  Good question!  

I don’t know if you have read their website information on their nibs?

A PATH TO PERFECTION

It takes 35 skilled steps to craft a nib and an additional 70 steps to assemble and test a Montblanc fountain pen until it is deemed ready to become yours. Each Montblanc nib is handcrafted from either 14K or 18K gold. Under the pressure of up to 18 tons, the nib’s silhouette is stamped out and then carefully pressed into shape. Next, Montblanc artisans accurately grind the exceptionally hard iridium tip by hand until it is the perfect width and size. After the final assembly and setting, every nib must pass a thorough writing test to ensure it delivers the ultimate writing experience. In addition to how the instrument feels writing, a good ear plays a vital role in the rigorous quality test: the in-house trained nib grinder listens attentively to the sound each nib makes as it glides over the paper. Only nibs that do not scratch or snag, and generate a continuous sound, will pass the special inspection.

image.jpeg

Thank you very much for the detailed answers.

I'm not sure where my first reply went, I can't find it anymore... so I'll try again.

I got in touch with an old nib master who told me that at least the old nibs from Montblanc were partially engraved by hand. He couldn't tell me whether this still applies to the new nibs. In any case, old advertisements say that they are proud of the fact that the number 4810, which stands for the height of the mountain, is "engraved" into each gold nib. So it seems that parts of the markings are stamped, while other parts are chiseled.

I think you can see the unevenness even better in the newly attached picture.

I will go to a store and take a close look at a current fountain pen with a magnifying glass.

Thanks again to the professionals!

Even if it's a 'little bit' I did learn something..will have to look at my old MB nibs.

My first MB was a semi-flex a 234 1/2 Deluxe, (52-55 only).....the next came much later when I had an idea of flex, and the nib of the rolled gold 742, was directly between semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex. The only pen I have that is so. Mostly semi and maxi clump together. It too has a number, but I'd guessed stamped.

The 'last of that era', a medium-large 146 ('48-60)...so much better balanced than a large '1970-now 146, was a maxi-semi-flex...:notworthy1:

(Have added a semi-flex 32(only gold marking) & 261.)

The rest of my MB's all but my Woolf, were @ 1990 so had regular flex nibs, two large 146's and a 149 that is too big for me to use.

Virginia Woolf. ...Just noticed the number, in the trees had been my attention point.

But my Virginia Woolf nib, is MY EYES ONLY BLING.

With permission of Pentime.

3zrdy3P.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm having difficulty visualizing a MB nib maker, on a production line, with chisel and hammer in hand.

Add lightness and simplicate.

LOL cubed.....and you are right.....stamped.

Think, you are right. Sorry. Sometimes the wish seems to be bigger, than the brain.