Pelikan Edelstein Rose Quartz

yazeh

Pelikan Edelstein Rose Quartz

Ink of the Year 2023

Many thanks to  @Lithium466for the sample.

It’s a chameleon of an ink. It has a lot of character with Ef to M nibs and gorgeous with flex, where the halo effect is accentuated.

However, with Japanese Ef, B & Stub nibs it was just a plain boring pink.

It doesn’t like copy paper. Ink is wet with slightly below average lubrication.

You can check this excellent overview by @namrehsnoom

Let's start with the chorma:

large.Chroma-RoseQuartzjpeg.jpeg.b37a71aa2a6f21a2d0be20a11fbe064c.jpeg

Writing Samples:

Quotes are at best attributed. As far as I know Mahler had only one wife. ;)

large.Rhodia-RoseQuartz.jpeg.434c018a98d4411c70d49cd6ae282452.jpeglarge.Midori-RoseQuartz.jpeg.f458f5ae4673c22e89ff8e16785763fb.jpeglarge.TR68gr-RoseQuartz.jpeg.c434d5838f6273b01aaa9b0ae025be7a.jpeglarge.Hammermill-RoseQuartz.jpg.95cd3d9eaacd239303e13d2ef0f148bb.jpg 

Photo:

large.20240214_152213.jpg.692453a8117e4cfbb007e55a0e3751b3.jpg

Comparison:

large.Pink-Comparison.jpeg.acea09756e5eecf2b4b10f64e750123d.jpeg

Water test:

large.Watertest-RoseQuartz.jpeg.335b808b63c141fdd081f0175761e22a.jpeg

And finally an art work, inspired by a Japanese vintage photograph and block prints:

Other inks used are

Platinum Carbon Black and Kuretake Shimbashi Iro

the_lady_and_the_warrior_by_yazeh1_dgvy7

·      Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy (EF/F/M/B, 1.1), Kanwrite with an Ahab nib.

·      What I liked: The halo effect and murky pink.

·      What I did not like: With B/ Stub nibs. Very Pale with Japanese Ef

·       What some might not like: The colour, paleness.

·      Shading: I didn’t see much.

·      Ghosting: Yes, on copy paper

·      Bleed through: Same as above.

·      Flow Rate: Wet

·      Lubrication: Below average.

·      Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.

·      Start-up:  Did not notice.

·      Saturation: Not saturated.

·      Shading Potential: With flex nibs.

·      Sheen: Hint of halo.

·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Yes, on copy paper.

·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.

·      Staining (pen): Did not notice.

·      Clogging: Did not notice.

·      Cleaning: Should be easy.

·      Water resistance: Not so good.

·      Availability: 50 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• JFHorn

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks as usual for the comprehensive review (including the artwork).  

I kinda blow hot and cold on this one (I got a bottle of it in last fall's Pelikan Hub).  It's a pretty color, but a little pale on the page (I had it it a Pelikan with a B nib, which helped some with the legibility issue).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

Thanks as usual for the comprehensive review (including the artwork).  

🙏

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

I kinda blow hot and cold on this one (I got a bottle of it in last fall's Pelikan Hub).  It's a pretty color, but a little pale on the page (I had it it a Pelikan with a B nib, which helped some with the legibility issue).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks for sharing your experience 🙏

Wow, some chroma!

Poor Kitteh holding his ears against Rouge Opera makes me smile (love opera!) Bottle-brush tail and zig zag whiskers on Water Test Kitteh, too.

Excellent sketch!  👌🏻

I don't have this ink.  Maybe the fact that Rose Quartz is pale and lacks lubrication would hold me back.  Pretty color though.  And many many thanks to you, @yazeh, for these wonderful and entertaining Ink-Splorations. 😻

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I love your art! Thank you for your review :)

Like Ruth, I have mixed feelings about this one. It's quite pleasant for what looks like such a light colour, and I used it at work without getting any comments. Surprisingly, I didn't feel the lack of lubrication too much... but in the end, I just prefer coral or Flamingo pinks.

Thank you, @yazeh, for another comprehensive review! :)  Chameleon is a good descriptor.  The chroma is interesting.  The flex-on-Rhodia is a color I like - bold and bright, slight purple lean - but on Midori!? Pastel pink. Blech! :)

Meanwhile, the swatch kitties are great - Rose Quartz looks a little smitten.  Not sure I noticed Rachmaninoff before, but I like it!  (Did you know that among average Russians, at least in the 1990s, it was considered arrogant to transliterate names that ended in Russian "ov" into "off" in English? :D ) Rouge Opera kitty and mouse are hilarious!  And I'm not sure what's up with Star Ruby, but he may need an eye doctor... ;)

Quartzy-water-test-kitty (and presumed flying-umbrella-mouse) is looking a bit, erm, sharp? :P  I guess this is what happens when you make a kitty out of quartz...  (Bet he always knows the time, though. ;) )

And the artwork is absolutely fabulous! :D That samurai mouse hairclip (or whatever) is perfect.  (And I can see kitty's thoughts: "There's better be a treat in that hand next time I see it, or else..." :D )

Always fun!

4 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Wow, some chroma!

:)

Poor Kitteh holding his ears against Rouge Opera makes me smile (love opera!) Bottle-brush tail and zig zag whiskers on Water Test Kitteh, too.

I used to love opera too ;) 

Excellent sketch!  👌🏻

🙏

I don't have this ink.  Maybe the fact that Rose Quartz is pale and lacks lubrication would hold me back.  Pretty color though.  And many many thanks to you, @yazeh, for these wonderful and entertaining Ink-Splorations. 😻

A pleasure and thanks for the encouragement :)

3 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

I love your art!

😊🙏

Thank you for your review :)

A pleasure! 

Like Ruth, I have mixed feelings about this one. It's quite pleasant for what looks like such a light colour, and I used it at work without getting any comments.

Surprisngly I enjoyed it most on thick absorbent paper and drawing !

Surprisingly, I didn't feel the lack of lubrication too much...

Almost anything is dry with Pilot Kakuno Ef. In a Lamy safari I feel a slight drag... :)

but in the end, I just prefer coral or Flamingo pinks.

:D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for another comprehensive review! :) 

🙏

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Chameleon is a good descriptor.  The chroma is interesting.  The flex-on-Rhodia is a color I like - bold and bright, slight purple lean - but on Midori!? Pastel pink. Blech! :)

That took ages to dry, it was a lot of ink with the flex nib :)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Meanwhile, the swatch kitties are great - Rose Quartz looks a little smitten.  Not sure I noticed Rachmaninoff before, but I like it! 

Quite Pepto-Bismol :D Yeah that review will take sometime before I complete!

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

(Did you know that among average Russians, at least in the 1990s, it was considered arrogant to transliterate names that ended in Russian "ov" into "off" in English? :D )

Is it Off or OV or somewhere between? I always pronounced his name with Ov but Noodler's and the new transliteration is back to off :(

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Rouge Opera kitty and mouse are hilarious!  And I'm not sure what's up with Star Ruby, but he may need an eye doctor... ;)

Quartzy-water-test-kitty (and presumed flying-umbrella-mouse) is looking a bit, erm, sharp? :P  I guess this is what happens when you make a kitty out of quartz...  (Bet he always knows the time, though. ;) )

:lticaptd:That opera one was inspired ;)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

And the artwork is absolutely fabulous! :D That samurai mouse hairclip (or whatever) is perfect.  (And I can see kitty's thoughts: "There's better be a treat in that hand next time I see it, or else..." :D )

Always fun!

Thank you. This one took quite while to complete and finish. I nearly through it out :D

50 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Is it Off or OV or somewhere between? I always pronounced his name with Ov but Noodler's and the new transliteration is back to off :(

Well, there may be Russian names I'm not thinking of that end in "of" / "оф" (not likely "off"), but I was referring to Russian names that end in "ov" (ов): Lemontov, Rachmaninov (where the "ch" is a Russian х), Chekhov (in this case, it's the "kh" that's the Russian х - pronounced the same),  etc.  But some Russians choose to transliterate the "ov" at the end of their name as "off" (and yes, sometimes the ending "v" sounds like an "f" when spoken, but when written, it's still a "v").  I was told that those who choose to transliterate it as "off" are trying to come off as sophisticated, upper class, putting on airs, whatever you want to call it.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

That opera one was inspired

Absolutely!  :D

Thank you, @yazeh, for this comprehensive ink review and for the exciting drawings! You know already, I have to look at the artwork first and read the review afterwards. ;) 

Poor mouse in the water (rain?) test and "beware of my hair" were both a good starter for becoming curious about your opinion. 👍 :) 

I do not like Rose Quartz in daily use because the ink from my bottle has a dry character (surface tension 70 mN/m) combined with low lubrication and a quite pale colour. That makes it (for me) useable on any paper but unreadable. It worked OK in a Pilot Parallel pen that flooded the lines and resulted good bicolour shading.

Finally, I won't be pouring the ink down the drain, but its use will be limited to special situations.

One life!

Hmmm.... the best thing about this ink is your review!

Never did  like this ink. There's a weird old German saying something like this... "Nothing half and nothing whole".  Translates here into "Not quite pink and not yet purple".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

8 hours ago, LizEF said:

Well, there may be Russian names I'm not thinking of that end in "of" / "оф" (not likely "off"), but I was referring to Russian names that end in "ov" (ов): Lemontov, Rachmaninov (where the "ch" is a Russian х), Chekhov (in this case, it's the "kh" that's the Russian х - pronounced the same),  etc.  But some Russians choose to transliterate the "ov" at the end of their name as "off" (and yes, sometimes the ending "v" sounds like an "f" when spoken, but when written, it's still a "v").  I was told that those who choose to transliterate it as "off" are trying to come off as sophisticated, upper class, putting on airs, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently this is a new trend in recordings of Rachmaninoff to transliterate to -off. Regardless Rachmaninoff / or Rachmaninov belong to a Russian aristocracy :D

46 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently this is a new trend in recordings of Rachmaninoff to transliterate to -off. Regardless Rachmaninoff / or Rachmaninov belong to a Russian aristocracy :D

Welcome!  I suppose someone may already have done some sort of mini-study or paper (or whatever) analyzing which famous Russians kept the V and which switched to "FF" and whether it has any meaning or relation to their wealth or social status at the time of the decision, but I'm not quite interested enough to either go looking for it, or do the research myself. :D   I'm content to just use the spelling I find on the interwebs. ;)

🙂 I believe that my favourite, Dmitri Sjostakovitj [according to Swedish transcribers], is the one with most "peculiar" spellings...

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for this comprehensive ink review and for the exciting drawings!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

You know already, I have to look at the artwork first and read the review afterwards. ;) 

;)

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Poor mouse in the water (rain?) test and "beware of my hair" were both a good starter for becoming curious about your opinion. 👍 :) 

7 hours ago, InesF said:

I do not like Rose Quartz in daily use because the ink from my bottle has a dry character (surface tension 70 mN/m) combined with low lubrication and a quite pale colour. That makes it (for me) useable on any paper but unreadable.

Thanks for the scientific information that it gives more meaning to the empirical experience 🙏 I'm on the fence myself. I liked only in a journal with thick absorbent paper. The halo effect was accentuated :)

7 hours ago, InesF said:

It worked OK in a Pilot Parallel pen that flooded the lines and resulted good bicolour shading.

Yes. It needs a very wet pen :(

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Finally, I won't be pouring the ink down the drain, but its use will be limited to special situations.

You can do some of your lovely sketching/ drawings which we would like to see more of :)

4 hours ago, lapis said:

Hmmm.... the best thing about this ink is your review!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, lapis said:

Never did  like this ink. There's a weird old German saying something like this... "Nothing half and nothing whole".  Translates here into "Not quite pink and not yet purple".

It makes sense. Something pretending to be something else but not quite the original thing. In a way like excessive sheening inks :)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Welcome!  I suppose someone may already have done some sort of mini-study or paper (or whatever) analyzing which famous Russians kept the V and which switched to "FF" and whether it has any meaning or relation to their wealth or social status at the time of the decision, but I'm not quite interested enough to either go looking for it, or do the research myself. :D   I'm content to just use the spelling I find on the interwebs. ;)

I believe the trend is more with the Internet. I checked some of the old recoding 1930s-70s and some modern recording (i.e. LPs/CDS* they use Rachmaninov. But the internet and spellcheck prefer the -off ending. Biased aren't they ;)

1 hour ago, Claes said:

🙂 I believe that my favourite, Dmitri Sjostakovitj [according to Swedish transcribers], is the one with most "peculiar" spellings...

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Another favorite composer. . In French they spell his name: Chostakovitch :lticaptd:

25 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I believe the trend is more with the Internet. I checked some of the old recoding 1930s-70s and some modern recording (i.e. LPs/CDS* they use Rachmaninov. But the internet and spellcheck prefer the -off ending. Biased aren't they ;)

Interesting.  I checked and Noodler's use the -off ending (though the label appears to be almost entirely in Russian, the website swatch card has it in English with -off).  Of course, there are some folks who spell tsar as czar, and that's just idiotic, the sound and spelling in Russian is ts.