Grease for 149 piston

MikeGB

Hello all,

I bought a new 149 a while back but it had a horrendously stiff piston. I sent it back for a replacement and after two fills it’s now stiff again.

admittedly it hasn’t had much use, but it’s been over a year so I don’t think I can send it back.

I’ve ordered a tool to dismantle it (god help me) because I lament the cost of sending it back to fix what seems to be a common issue.

Any suggestions for what grease to use on the piston?

thank you and prayers appreciated…

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbs

• Ron Z

• MikeGB

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Molykote 111.  10gr will last a long time

Add lightness and simplicate.

Any brand of 100% pure silicone grease will be fine.

Scuba stores sell it in tubs or tubes of 7g - 10g. Should be in the £6 - £10 range.

I bought a 7g tub a decade ago, and have been using it to lubricate the pistons on my 5 Pelikans, my Lamy 2000, and my Geha Schulfüller.

At my current rate of consumption, I reckon that the 7g tub holds sufficient grease for approximately a thousand years!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

(knowing this may cause a stir again as it did in the past) ... I use pure (perfume free) vaseline as noted in an original, internal Montblanc service document and as  recommended by an Montblanc employee to me.

Cheers

Michael

For some reason, I found new Montblanc pens do not apply or only apply very little grease now. If you do not use, piston will become stiff. 

Maybe grease will enter into feeder and causes more serious return/repair issue. They just want you have at lease a happy 1st year.

23 hours ago, Michael R. said:

(knowing this may cause a stir again as it did in the past) ... I use pure (perfume free) vaseline as noted in an original, internal Montblanc service document and as  recommended by an Montblanc employee to me.

Cheers

Michael

Modern vaseline sold at cosmetic store only contains very little Petrolatum, the other parts are mostly water soluble. After several uses, all water soluble thinner will be washed away and leaving thick, dense Petrolatum which will cause stiffness.

Silicone based grease can give you more stable user experience.

I, and other people who know MB pens better than I do, use silicone grease.  The Dow Molykote 111 is an excellent product, and safe with plastics, backed up by a friend who looked at the mfg. information.  It is designed for plastics and 0-rings, and is made to resist washing off, so it works for a good long time.  I have used it for over a decade on MB and Pelikan seals without any damage to any MB.

Note - a little goes a very long way.  You don't to slather it on, just a very thin film is all that you need, almost to the point where if you can see it, you have too much.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.