Montblanc 136 "Transitional"?... Nib and Dating Question

JHumbert15

Hi All!

I just got a new to me, and very nice-excellent condition MB 136, and I have a few questions. I’ve searched a bit but can’t find too much.

Firstly, I understand how the dating procedure with the 13x line goes, so I’m not necessarily completely interested in that. However, this pen is a little different than standard 136s I see.

1) It has a single tone gold nib. Only “4810” and the “M” in the middle of the nib are marked. I have not seen this on 136s nor could I find this exact nib- most similar ones had a number in the center ring, like a 236 model, and a “6” for the nib size rather than the “M” in the circle. Does anyone have info on this? The only thing that has me believe this is original is that it is an oblique nib, and opposite “136” on the turning knob I see a small dot which looks like a small “o” (for oblique), but it’s so small I am not sure if it’s a letter or another marking. It is also the ski-slope with grooves feed. I'm failry sure this is a replacement, but I'm not sure from what.

2) The cap rings (3 of them) have “Montblanc Meisterstuck” engraved on them, but the short cap top has “Montblanc Masterpiece”. Based on the short ink window, I’m thinking 47-49 (post war), so there is a possibility this is original and just a mix of parts, but I’m not sure. Given these rings, I'm thinking that this is a 48-49 pen as these were the same rings that ended up on the new 14x line at the time in 1948/9. As the engraved cap rings came out, the engraved cap top was phased out for a short cap top with no engraving. I'm thinking that maybe they were using up old parts (hence why I call it transitional). In this old ad: https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/montblanc-meisterstuck-136-fountain-pen/ , there are engravings on both the middle ring and cap top, the only difference being that I have one saying "Meisterstuck", and another saying "Masterpiece". Maybe someone at the factory screwed up... I don't know. Thoughts?

I know the pictures aren’t the best, but I just wanted some info about the 2 different engravings as well as the nib. What are the chances this is original? I’ve seen talk of a “transitional 136” but I’m not too familiar with them. I can try to get some better pics up tomorrow but I wanted to at least start some comments on my 2 points above. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jake

BB3E5362-0987-4B81-9043-A183A3B6FB81.jpeg

image.png.8b9b16a7d6a4650ad21c44af32e843be.png

68C0B74D-8E18-4E3C-AA8E-140F3C3BDEDC.jpeg

C8B769DC-7F12-47BE-AEAB-6C69A1627563.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHumbert15

• kazoolaw

• PENRob

• AcLondon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a few more:

the middle cap ring reads “Montblanc Meisterstuck” while the cap top reads “Montblanc Masterpiece”. The latter is difficult to capture.

20A64166-E232-4762-A4A4-CC570A903598.jpeg

8E33B495-D072-4FEA-8E0E-FF7656C861F0.jpeg

BB460A6D-BBE3-4A9E-B1FA-B129E18CB772.jpeg

18B73D09-9EAF-41D5-8352-025334F73E41.jpeg

F3FC1917-92FA-410B-B810-ADFD1DF5349E.jpeg

Hi, nice to see that your so into with your pen !

Point is that these pens are that old that you never know that someone already changed parts for repair or re-assmebled the pen overtime with different pen parts

Most interesting is that you start from the cap and barrel, which remained unchanged and you check/re-compose your pen based on historical information, forums, sites, Montblanc books (collectible stars)...

Goodluck and enjoy collecting !

Two places to look at other 136 to compare:

vintagemontblancpens.com - use google to search the site to make it easier to find them.

penboard.de - 136 models for sale, and sold, with good photos.

12 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

Two places to look at other 136 to compare:

vintagemontblancpens.com - use google to search the site to make it easier to find them.

penboard.de - 136 models for sale, and sold, with good photos.

Good call, I’ll have to go through more photos on penboard.de, I hadn’t checked it out too much yet. There’s so many versions of the 13x line which makes it all the more interesting.

Thanks!

On 9/9/2022 at 12:30 AM, PENRob said:

The captop seem "wartime"...

Interesting, thanks. I’ve seen this cap top on post war pens as well, so I’m thinking it was wartime->post war until they started engraving the middle cap band like the 14x series, with the exception of some overlap in production with 2 versions of the cap top being used by that point.

Gorgeous pen!  I absolutely love the 13x series.  But there are simply so many versions and mixed and matched parts that I really don't even bother trying to make sense of them.  I suspect that because they originally often came with mismatching parts modern sellers are particularly inclined to put this era together from whatever they can find. 

More fun:  Rosler's  Collectible Stars:  Montblanc writing instruments from 1946 until 1979  shows a 136 with the flat top, and a clip like PENRob's  photos, with a triple cap band, identified as produced between 1946-1948, with additional details:  "short ink window; long ink window with engraved cap-bands possible."  Pages 20-21

Same book, info on the 234 1/2, produced 1952-1954, has the "prewar Meisterstuck clip" like in JHumbert15/s photos.  Pages 26-27. 

Mix-and-match pre-, wartime, and postwar?

Can't speak for the relative size of the prewar clips, but note that the clip on my 234 1/2 looks to be a hair smaller than the Hemingway clip.  That I'd ever be fortunate enough to come across an (affordable) 138.

2 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

Mix-and-match pre-, wartime, and postwar?

That’s what I’m thinking as well, using parts from whatever they could find postwar. I’m also not sure that the tie clip was specifically a “pre war” clip as I’ve seen it on plenty of post war models, but I guess that could be using up old stock.