What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

large.2070F98A-9826-43F2-A040-E21F0F89A19B.jpeg.fab0e4059bf5c7dc9a197411b399b4a8.jpegMy deliberate pen purchase was completed early today.  The pen seller in India let me know the cost, sent photos of two Mount Fuji pens for me to choose from. The money has been sent, and confirmation of money received. I’ve bought what I think is the best of Monteverde’s Mountains of the World pens in K2, plus Fuji. I figured I’d never find Fuji at a later date. Plus both will have stub nibs. So I’m happy.  

I don’t love the whole pen design. The end tapers to a silver end cap that has no function. Still, I just can’t help but like these pens. I got a great deal on Vesuvio, decent deals on Denali and Everest, and paid up for K2 and Fuji. We kids had a jigsaw puzzle of Mount Fuji which figured in my asking about adding it to the sale. I think I still have it, though it may be missing a piece. Then I thought I could put the puzzle together, trace the missing piece. I could try to use inks to color a piece of cardboard with the piece traced on it to make the missing piece. 

The pen on the left is Kilimanjaro, which I received on a birthday several years ago. It came out with K2 and Fuji.  On the right is the currently available Denali (formerly Mount McKinley). 

Edited by Misfit
To add the photo which should be at the bottom. Oh well.
Posted Image

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

My deliberate pen purchase was completed early today

Congratulations! Its quite something to order several special pens together and more so when they complete a collection. :)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Congratulations! Its quite something to order several special pens together and more so when they complete a collection. :)

I’d have to order the currently available Black Mountain (in North Carolina) to truly complete it. Although I’m not sure how many MOTW pens there are. 

Thank you for the nice words. 

Posted Image

They arrived today, May 11. The pens that made me ask the topic’s question. 
K2 is on the left, and Mount Fuji is on the right.  Hurray! I own K2. 

large.152C4153-E7B9-445B-BCA0-57C9DCD49176.jpeg.2e92ec96628aeadae7677e9bd21c1d50.jpeg

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

They arrived today, May 11. The pens that made me ask the topic’s question. 
K2 is on the left, and Mount Fuji is on the right.  Hurray! I own K2. 

Congratulation @Misfit! These are beautiful pens and I can only imagine how you feel after completing a set.

And now: have fun with your pens! 

🏔️⛰️🌋🗻 around the 🌍

One life!

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

The pens that made me ask the topic’s question. 

Yay. They are both very pretty. Have you chosen inks for them?

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Yay. They are both very pretty. Have you chosen inks for them?

I was thinking of Kaweco Palm Green for Fuji. I’m not sure what to put in K2. It’s described as having ice white and arctic blue colors. I tried looking up inks with mount or mountain in the name. Then I thought, no I cannot buy a new ink.  I have a new bottle of GvFC Violet Blue. I thought about Diamine China Blue. K2 is partly in China, and partly in Pakistan. 

Any suggestions?

Posted Image

12 hours ago, InesF said:

Congratulation @Misfit! These are beautiful pens and I can only imagine how you feel after completing a set.

And now: have fun with your pens! 

🏔️⛰️🌋🗻 around the 🌍

Thank you so much.  I love the emojis you used. They cover the variety of mountains represented by the pens. There are some translucent areas in Vesuvio and K2. Mostly you can see parts of the nib in the cap. 

Posted Image

The Jinhao 51A XF has replaced the Hero 616 as my work jotting pen.  They are easier to tell apart from my dad's Parker "51", and can be topped up with Jinhao cartridges (of which I have far more than I expect to use).  Also, I've never had a dud Jinhao, while I've had several dud Hero 616s.  

I bought a three-pack a while back, and my lab puppies got two of them.  So I've been thinking, off and on, for the better part of a year, that I should make sure I have some backups -- I regard these inexpensive Chinese pens as consumables, and also, I wanted to try one with a wooden barrel, and also the open F nib, in addition to the hooded XF nib.  So the last time I logged into my wife's Amazon Prime account, I went and looked for the Jinhao 51As, and I wasn't satisfied with what I found there.  So I went to ebay to see what YC Pens had.  I found what I needed, and placed the order.

And then he told me he was in Shanghai, which has been turned into a giant prison camp by their national government, and that it would be a while before he could complete my order.  I told him that he was the one I wanted to buy from, and that I'm not in a hurry to have it.  Unfortunately, because he cannot ship, he had to either refund my money or have ebay close his store.  

So I continue to wait.  I just have to keep my eyes on his store, so I can try again later.

In the meantime, I also searched the Bay of Evil for a Sheaffer school pen at a reasonable price, something I've sought for quite a few years.  One came up for a total of just over $17, shipped.  And I bought it.  I may fit it with a stub from one of my Sheaffer Viewpoints.

1 hour ago, Arkanabar said:

So I went to ebay to see what YC Pens had.  I found what I needed, and placed the order.

And then he told me he was in Shanghai, which has been turned into a giant prison camp by their national government, and that it would be a while before he could complete my order.  I told him that he was the one I wanted to buy from, and that I'm not in a hurry to have it.  Unfortunately, because he cannot ship, he had to either refund my money or have ebay close his store.  

Same story here. Waiting to re-order a couple of Hero 565.

1 hour ago, Arkanabar said:

According to his page there, he may return come May 29.

That’s good news. I had a week’s wait while the seller was traveling.  Turns out my order was his first international sale. He was awesome to work with. 

Posted Image

This is a rather dangerous thread -- especially given the Monteverde "Mountains of the World" line....

I contacted Truphae the other day to ask about the size and weight of the Monteverde Strata my friend gave me last week (she gets their monthly sampler packs and I suspect that's where the pen came from, since I couldn't find a lot of retailers that carried that model).  And, while I was at it, to compare the weight of the Strata to a MotW Denali (which I've been lusting over for several years).  And then saw one on eBay for a really good price (although I'd have to think about the nib some, after someone on FPN said they really liked the Monteverde stub [italic?] nibs and I'm not sure what nib the one I saw has).  But I'm strongly starting to suspect that there may very well be a Denali in my future (just not sure if it's IMMEDIATE future or not... :rolleyes:

Ruh Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Italix Parson's Essential medium Italic, after a lot of online research.  Medium or broad italic?  Hope I'm happy with my decision when the pen comes.  There's never enough data on which to make a decision, and the most difficult thing to predict is the future.😁

4 hours ago, AlexLeGrande said:

Italix Parson's Essential medium Italic, after a lot of online research.  Medium or broad italic?  Hope I'm happy with my decision when the pen comes.  There's never enough data on which to make a decision, and the most difficult thing to predict is the future.😁

I agree, especially when the nib choices get above 9 or more. I have an Italix medium italic.  Once I put a wet ink in the pen, I was happy enough with it. 

Here are two photos of my Italix Parson’s Essential with M Italic nib.

large.1C4A31F7-82D3-442B-8E2B-39AB31CC9FF5.jpeg.2709eae712675f0a2f796fe178faa224.jpeglarge.0BE8FAD1-9E8F-4150-8D70-EFB19EA4ACD4.jpeg.ba04292c606e14e97f901c2d160bcdc3.jpeg

Posted Image

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

This is a rather dangerous thread -- especially given the Monteverde "Mountains of the World" line....

But I'm strongly starting to suspect that there may very well be a Denali in my future (just not sure if it's IMMEDIATE future or not... :rolleyes:

Ruh Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi @inkstainedruth

I posted the weight of the MOTW pen in a different thread. I got two of my MOTW pens from Speerbob on eBay for $45 and free shipping. 

When they were on a very good sale at Pen Chalet, they only had Vesuvio and Black Mountains. Denali plus those two are the current models. 

I’ve been posting photos of three of my MOTW pens writing on the Stub O’Day part two thread.  

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/365998-stub-oday-part-two/page/3/#comment-4534289

One is on the page this link sends you to, go back one page to see the other two. All have stub nibs. Plus one appears in the photos above I posted to show the Italix pen. 

Posted Image

I like the idea of this thread.

A very intentional purchase recently was the Montblanc Around the World 146 fountain pen in EF. I’d seen the pen in a boutique last year and it stayed in my mind because of the dark smoky blue body. I’m not a MB collector, preferring Aurora mostly (and previously, OMAS and Pelikan), but after buying a NOS MB Meisterstück 14 in green at a pen show I was so wowed by the quality and attention to detail that I decided to finally get my first contemporary MB.

I looked around a bit and finally got it from Appelboom. It arrived “almost” overnight from the Netherlands to San Diego: Ordered on Thursday it was sent out Friday and arrived on Tuesday. I had been prepared to wait a few weeks.

I’m very happy with it. The finish and design are exceptional and, best of all, the in-house nib is clearly hand ground and wrote perfect out of the box - actually a rarety nowadays.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

@Calabria congratulations on the Montblanc Around The World 146 pen. The humbler Waterman Phileas made me buy the book Around the World in Eighty Days. 

Posted Image

I am pretty sure that all deliberate pen purchases started with an impulse. They were later rationalized and disguised as “deliberate”.

10 hours ago, como said:

I am pretty sure that all deliberate pen purchases started with an impulse. They were later rationalized and disguised as “deliberate”.

I suspect you are right about this topic quite often.  The most deliberate choices for me are when I've custom ordered a pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY