Sailor Pro Gear Slim Mini Review

collectorofmanythings

I am relatively new to Fountain Pens (I started in early December 2020) and a little bit ago I got my first gold nib pen, which was my “grail pen” when I started, so now I am going to do a review!

Design (9/10)

I personally have small hands, so I don’t mind pocket pens. I understand how many don’t like pocket pens, but I personally love them. 

On this particular pen, it has a stair-step looking clip, which comes not out of but just under a gold band, and on the finial is the Sailor anchor. Below the cap, there is a thin gold band and right under that is a thicker gold band, which has stamped on it, “Sailor Japan Founded 1911”. There is a little more resin underneath and that is the end of the cap. At the end of the barrel there are some threads (will talk about later) and then another thin gold band. 

When you unscrew the cap (which takes about 1 and 7/8 turns) it reveals a beautiful 14k gold nib (which personally is my second favorite designed nib, right after the Pineider Quill Nib) that has “1911” on it, and underneath that the Sailor anchor, and then much smaller at the bottom of the nib is “14K”, “585” and the old Sailor logo that has the top of the S go all the way to the r. As far as I know, they only use it on their nibs now. It is surrounded by beautiful scrollwork. The grip section is a very, very dark gray with a flair at the end that tapers all the way up to a thin gold band, which goes back up to the threads which I don’t find sharp at all. There is a little space behind the threads and then there is a small step.

The reason this is a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 is because it is a pocket pen, which not everyone loves, and then there is also threads on the back which I don’t like at all. I post most of my pens and I find this as just and extra step, which also just doesn’t look good when capped.

This is the Stellar Blue model, and it looks at lot more blue on camera, it is more muted in real life.

Nib and Writing Performance (10/10)

This 14k medium-fine nib is absolutely wonderful. It does have the characteristic Sailor feedback, but I personally love that. It is very stiff, and gives just a little line variation. It is also quite wet, it’s not a gusher, but it is quite wet. Reverse Writing is surprisingly smooth. I have it filled with Jacques Herbin Terre d’Ombre and this is on 52 gsm Cream Tomoe River Paper.

Overall (19/20)

I think this pen is just wonderful, and I highly recommend it! This is my first review, so some constructive criticism would be great! Thank you for your time.

A5D73D32-171D-4D59-9912-C736AB952896.jpeg

2132C756-7064-4246-9278-CF279951F85C.jpeg

A92C7589-F3BC-4A1A-B48D-BDD879758747.jpeg

F5688617-A744-4AFD-B504-BFA8975ACC16.jpeg

2028037B-AFC1-4BC7-A10E-700C200FA9C4.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• enuhski

• collectorofmanythings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to FPN, and bravo for the excellent review! I have that very pen myself — actually, that model of pen in three different colours, including Stellar Blue — and I absolutely love it. Glad to hear you love yours as much!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you for your response! I love it so much as well- which is probably pretty obvious from my review. It’s actually my favorite pen!

• 1 year later...

Hi! Thanks for the review. Sailor Pro Gear slim mini newbie here. I have more Sailor pens than I'm willing to admit (LOL) but I think I like the PGS Mini best, even over the PGS. For some reason, even though it is distinctly smaller, it has just the right heft and it feels right in the hand for me even compared to the PGS which is bigger. That's just me though.  I've definitely overcome my skepticism about this pen model that's for sure. :)

3 minutes ago, enuhski said:

… I like the PGS Mini best, even over the PGS. For some reason, even though it is distinctly smaller, it has just the right heft and it feels right in the hand for me even compared to the PGS which is bigger. That's just me though.

Not just you. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.